New "Guest Experience" changes coming

Tom Staggs - President of Parks and Resorts - gave a presentation to Disney shareholders this week and mentioned some upcoming Guest Experience things coming down the pike...

As reported on WDW Today 2/18...

?Further strengthening the belief that the guest experience starts from the moment guests book their trip[, they will be able to map out their entire vacation from the comfort of their home.? They will be able to use new tools to help them:

-Reserve times for Attractions, Shows and Character interactions

-Secure seats at shows and spectaculars

-Simplify the check-in process so that guests will arrive on property with their resort keys in hand getting them into the parks and resort quicker than ever before.

-Better route resources based on guest needs dynamically throughout the day helping to improve guest flow and improve the overall guest experience

Not sure how I feel about pre-schedule for rides?  My first thought is more trouble than help.  I don't like being a slave to my "schedule" while on vacation.  It's bad enough that we have to decide where we want to eat 6 months in advance now I will have to map out my ride times too?  I guess we'll see.

Not sure how I fell about pre-schedule for rides?  My first thought is more trouble than help.  I don't like being a slave to my "schedule" while on vacation.  It's bad enough that we have to decide where we want to eat 6 months in advance now I will have to map out my ride times too?  I guess we'll see.

My bet is that a lot of people will have that same thought about "booking" rides.  Sounds like a time-management nightmare to me - for the guests and for the CM's working the attractions. Will they not let walk-up's on the ride because they are waiting for people who booked a seat on an attraction? 

Some ideas look good on paper, but this one,,, well,  they should  have saved the ink.

Not sure how I fell about pre-schedule for rides?  My first thought is more trouble than help.  I don't like being a slave to my "schedule" while on vacation.  It's bad enough that we have to decide where we want to eat 6 months in advance now I will have to map out my ride times too?  I guess we'll see.

My bet is that a lot of people will have that same thought about "booking" rides.  Sounds like a time-management nightmare to me - for the guests and for the CM's working the attractions. Will they not let walk-up's on the ride because they are waiting for people who booked a seat on an attraction? 

Some ideas look good on paper, but this one,,, well,  they should  have saved the ink.

I agree!  I don't like that at all.  When I am on vacation, I want to relax. 

I'm with you on not wanting to have to plan every minute of my vacation.  The more we go and the longer we stay the LESS I plan.  If we walk up to a ride and the wait is more than 15-20 minutes we generally keep walking and come back later. Actually with the Lines app on my Droid this year, we cut down on a whole lot of walking by just checking that first! 

It'll be interesting to see the details of what all that really means.  If we're talking about sort of a FastPass type thing - we're maybe you're allowed to "book" 1 or 2 a day, then I don't suppose it'll have much impact on stand by.

The one attraction where I would love to see something like this would be Toy Story Mania.  We actually made our first and only ever rope drop last year just to get a chance to do that once (actually twice) before we left.  It was on our very last morning and it was a madhouse.  We did the ol' "race to grab a FP first, then jump in line" and it did let us ride twice in a row, but still... insanity.

...Actually with the Lines app on my Droid this year, we cut down on a whole lot of walking by just checking that first! 

What is that app called?  I want it!

Is it on my iphone? I will have my kids check for it. I am hopeless when it comes to smart phones :jumpforjoy

doodlebug

...Actually with the Lines app on my Droid this year, we cut down on a whole lot of walking by just checking that first! 

Lines - put out by Touring Plan.  There's a freebie version and if you have a TP subscription you get full access to everything.

We used it every single day in November and found their wait times to be very accurate - often more accurate than the actual posted times at the attractions.  Also gives you all show times for that day, crowd predictions, etc.

Oh and you can participate by posting times yourself too.  I was amazed a few times to see that a dozen other people had posted times for attractions within minutes of us walking by.  Had me looking around to see if I could spot them. 

privateeye-private-eye-detective-sherlock-smiley-emoticon-000745-large.gif

Does this also include the beer kiosks?  I would like to avoid those lines.  :dropjaw:

If someone figures out how to do that - BUY STOCK IN THE COMPANY!

Lines - put out by Touring Plan.  There's a freebie version and if you have a TP subscription you get full access to everything.

privateeye-private-eye-detective-sherlock-smiley-emoticon-000745-large.gif

Just uploaded it now.  Very Cool.  I have the app by Undercover Tourist, but I like the info on this new one.  I'll have to look into the subscription, is it worth it?  I'll have to compare the information on them both also.  The kids take my phone everyday and pull up the Undercover Tourist to check it out.  Thanks for the heads up!

I'd be happy if their current on line reservation system worked for what they do now. Ride & show times are a little much. They need to stick to the fast pass system.

Next thing you know you will have to reserve bathroom breaks.

Oh no :partytwo:

doodlebug

More speculation posted on Mouseplanet today...

While everyone would love to get to the fun faster, the ability to reserve times for attractions and character meet-and-greets and to hold spots for shows and fireworks have raised many questions and conflicting opinions among the Disney Internet community. Will only Disney resort guests be eligible to make these reservations? That would make things difficult for those staying off-property or for locals. How much of an attraction's availability will be allowed for booking via advance reservation and/or Fastpass? What will that leave for people who prefer a more spontaneous experience? While some people like to plan every moment of their vacations, the joy of spontaneous discoveries or changes of plans can be some of the most delightful memories for others.

As we noted when Disney filed a patent application for modifications to its Fastpass system in September 2007, it's also possible that a hierarchy could be established, where deluxe resorts get more advance booking privileges than moderate or value resorts. Another possibility is that it could be rolled out as a special perk instead of existing discounts such as free dining. Would you rather get free dining, which cuts Disney's profit on your trip, or prefer (for the same price) to get the ability to make all of your Fastpass reservations in advance (at no additional cost to Disney)?

Other, less controversial advances trumpeted by Staggs include next generation queue improvements, such as the wonderful new queue for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, where kids will stay and play even as their spot in line moves past the end of the play area. Staggs noted that they've heard kids asking their parents not to use Fastpass so that they can play longer. The Princess Fairy Tale Hall that will be built on the current site of Snow White's Scary Adventures will provide extra Disney magic that will allow the princesses to interact with guests "in an immersive and highly personalized way." Hints there indicate that it may involve a method whereby the princesses can greet guests by name when they enter.

Staggs also talked about the Disney Cruise Line, as well as the future of the existing resort in Hong Kong and the future resort in Shanghai, among other topics. If you'd like to read Staggs' entire presentation, it's available on the Disney corporate website in PDF format (link).

Staggs noted that "it will be some time before we roll out the bulk of these initiatives, but we are well into development, and in fact have a number of patents pending on our approach." It remains to be seen whether all of these potential changes will actually see the light of day, but they are currently in the plan. We'll have to wait and see what makes it through the pipeline and out to consumers. In the meantime, share your thoughts on our MousePad discussion forums!

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9547/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

I don't know, which is more relaxing, having a predetermined schedule that you set up at home, or racing through the park at rope drop to grab a fast pass for X and then racing somewhere else to meet your party to ride Y and then hoping the wait for Z will be short enough during the parade to do standby? Disney did a good job developing a workable fastpass system, I bet they can make reservations work... The hitch is they are lousy at web development, so that part of the implementation might be the Achelies heel.

And speculation it is.

I think the person that wrote that piece may be a little of a conspiracy theorist. The resorts are autonomous, they compete against each other. For Disney to show favoritism for a deluxe over a value regarding advanced booking privileges wouldn't go over to well with the values. Not buying it. I never saw any favoritism when I worked at the different resorts and don't see any now with transportation unless the resort wants to pay for it.

I'll have to look into the subscription, is it worth it? 

Honestly, I hardly ever used it before.  I was actually considering canceling, but it's cheap enough and the app definitely made it worth it for us.

Yeah, the app really works well - and if you need to do some planning the crowd calendars are OK too.  Anymore, I just go to Epcot most of the time!

The meal package is bad enough. We do the dining package and I must say it takes time to fingure out what park you want to be in what days. I do not like the idea of booking rides ahead of time thats what fastpass is for. Sence we do the dining package the booking of the firework show at the studios would work for us. I would think you would lose time by booking it all ahead. You still need some spontianaity (damn thats not spelt right) lol

And speculation it is.

I think the person that wrote that piece may be a little of a conspiracy theorist. The resorts are autonomous, they compete against each other. For Disney to show favoritism for a deluxe over a value regarding advanced booking privileges wouldn't go over to well with the values. Not buying it. I never saw any favoritism when I worked at the different resorts and don't see any now with transportation unless the resort wants to pay for it.

Lou comes through again with the "insider" information, I think he should get his own section on here.  "Got a question? Ask the bus driver!" 

I'm with you on not wanting to have to plan every minute of my vacation.  The more we go and the longer we stay the LESS I plan.  If we walk up to a ride and the wait is more than 15-20 minutes we generally keep walking and come back later. Actually with the Lines app on my Droid this year, we cut down on a whole lot of walking by just checking that first! 

It'll be interesting to see the details of what all that really means.  If we're talking about sort of a FastPass type thing - we're maybe you're allowed to "book" 1 or 2 a day, then I don't suppose it'll have much impact on stand by.

The one attraction where I would love to see something like this would be Toy Story Mania.  We actually made our first and only ever rope drop last year just to get a chance to do that once (actually twice) before we left.  It was on our very last morning and it was a madhouse.  We did the ol' "race to grab a FP first, then jump in line" and it did let us ride twice in a row, but still... insanity.

We have yet to do that one because we just don't get to the rope drop and run that fast.  That would be about my only pre-reservation for a ride.