BOG Lunch testing online ordering/express line

From WDW Magic...

Fantasyland's new 'Be Our Guest Restaurant' is

already on the leading edge of restaurant technology

and it looks like things are about to go a step further.

Starting this month, selected guests are going to be given the chance to choose an arrival time for lunch online, and even choose items from the menu prior to their arrival. This will all be done on a website, similar to the new FASTPASS+ system that is already in testing with guests. Once the arrival time and menu items have been selected, the guest will arrive at the designated time, check in and pay at an express location, take the magic rose to the table of their choice, and the food will be delivered.

The test will be limited in numbers, with guests being invited into the test at their resort check-in. Regular walkups for lunch will still be available for all other guests not taking part in the test.

'Be Our Guest Restaurant' has been incredibly popular, with dinner reservations being near 100% booked for 180 days in advance, and the lunch queue beginning at park opening. This new system being tested looks like a way to manage guest flow through the restaurant more effectively, and reduce time taken in the ordering phase once inside the restaurant.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/be-our-guest-restaurant/news/13dec2012-'be-our-guest-restaurant'-testing-new-advance-online-ordering-for-lunch.htm

Wow.

Based on my experience, the ordering doesn't take that long in the first place.

I think this is more to possibly move guests into arriving at less busy times than it is about speeding up the ordering process.

But this is a very interesting concept.

I don't like it myself. I don't want my day planned in advance. But, I know a lot of people love to plan every second, and this ought to help them.

TCD

I can't remember if it said this in the article or in a discussion post, but apparently during busy times, guests are starting to line up at park opening and waits have been super long. No one on this site has reported an issue though. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I can't remember if it said this in the article or in a discussion post, but apparently during busy times, guests are starting to line up at park opening and waits have been super long. No one on this site has reported an issue though. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I haven't seen or heard this, but remember the official opening just took place on 12/6/12. Before that it was just a soft opening. The whole area is a lot busier now that it is officially open, so maybe the restaurant is too.

TCD

Wow.

Based on my experience, the ordering doesn't take that long in the first place.

TCD

You might change your mind if you had to wait in line behind my 10 year old as she is trying to figure out what to order. :rofl2:

Sometimes I wonder when she is deciding what to order if she thinks she is solving the world's problems. :clint:

When we were there on 11/28, we waited about a half hour just to order. The whole ordering process was incredibly slow. Once we got through it and sat down, our food came within minutes. The whole time we were there, there were many empty seats, but when we left, the line to order was double what it was when we were waiting. The experience was worth it once, but we didn't do it again when we went back on 12/2. Anything they can do to streamline ordering is a good idea, I think!

My guess (and that's all it is) is that they can turn over a LOT more tables as a walk up for the lunch hours than they could if it's TS.

We were there for nearly 2 hours for dinner. Granted we were with a group of 9 and had apps all the way to dessert, and then photos afterward, but you could easily spend well over an hour there for dinner.

When we went for lunch, from the time we ordered until we left it was probably no more than 30 minutes. That would add up to a LOT more people passing through there - probably enough that, even with the lower $ per check, it probably comes out pretty favorably financially. And then add to that the fact that the lunch menu is much simpler and probably quicker/easier/cheaper to prepare, and the need for a LOT less serving staff at lunch. May just be that the bottom line for keeping it QS at lunch could be a lot better just in terms of $.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that they can turn over a LOT more tables as a walk up for the lunch hours than they could if it's TS.

We were there for nearly 2 hours for dinner. Granted we were with a group of 9 and had apps all the way to dessert, and then photos afterward, but you could easily spend well over an hour there for dinner.

When we went for lunch, from the time we ordered until we left it was probably no more than 30 minutes. That would add up to a LOT more people passing through there - probably enough that, even with the lower $ per check, it probably comes out pretty favorably financially. And then add to that the fact that the lunch menu is much simpler and probably quicker/easier/cheaper to prepare, and the need for a LOT less serving staff at lunch. May just be that the bottom line for keeping it QS at lunch could be a lot better just in terms of $.

Good points! We always order a bottle of wine at dinner, but that isn't everyone.