Just some of the things I've done.

Left to right, top to bottom.

Grumpy, He's about 8" tall and is hand sculpted, not molded, in air hardening clay. I've done all 7 dwarfs.

Give Kids the World mascot, Mayor Clayton greeting wish child. It's about 10" tall, hand  sculpted in polymer clay with bronze finish.

Sorcerer Mickey animation cell. I do them exactly like the original cartoon cells. I draw them, transfer the image to a clear plastic sheet, and reverse paint it.

Grandson in peddle car, it's about 10" long, hand sculpted in polymer clay. It's an exact reproduction of a photo of one of my grandsons about ten years ago. Look close and you'll see he's holding Winnie the Pooh. He's a teenager now and is a amateur race car driver.

Carousel Horse, it's half scale and made from a childs spring rocking horse that you can by at any large toy store. Striped it, sanded it, painted it and made the brass pole from two brass floor lamps.

Samples1.jpg

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it's about 24" wide. Same process as Sorcerer Mickey.

Wow!!  Those are amazing, Lou.  Before I moved to Polk City and downsized, I had a nice carousel horse collection (curio sized).  I had 18 horses in all - that were replicas of horses on real carousels.  I sold them for a nice profit, but it still broke my heart to sell them.

You did a remarkable job on the carousel pony you made!!

Is there anything else we should know about you??

Thanks, but I take no credit for it. I was born with two abilities, artistic and mechanical. I got the mechanical from my Dad and the artistic from my Mom. I don't have to work at either one, it just happens somehow. I've always been able to do it. I discovered early on that the artistic side would not provide as much financial reward as the mechanical, so I turned to the mechanical side and made a career out of it.  When computer generated imagery happened about 15 years ago I combined the artistic and mechanical abilities. Below is an example of the result. Although you can only see them in one dimension, I created them in 3D, the same as you see in the movies. Although they may look real, they're not. If you had the correct 3D software, you could rotate them, sit behind the wheel, etc. Every single part had to be created and assembled, just like the real thing.

59Corvette.jpg

TBird2.jpg

Cool!!  What do you use to make those?

I used a program called Autodesk Maya. It's one of the most, if not the most widely used 3d computer animation programs. If you go to computer animation school, it's the one they use to teach CGI. If you apply for a job in the industry, they expect you to know it. I did go to school, but I learned most of it just by using it 8 hours a day for months.

• 4 weeks later...