What are your "go to" camping crockpot recipes?

• 2 weeks later...

Crockpot Ham

1 semiboneless ham (shank, butt, picnic...whatever)

2 cups brown sugar

Spread about 1 1/4 cups brown sugar on bottom of crockpot. Place ham on top...fatty side up. Spread rest of brown sugar over ham. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. In last hour, pull apart the ham some so the meat sits down in the juices. The juice will be a very sweet mess that the meat soaks up a bit. Yum!

Crockpot Lasagna

1 box uncooked lasagna noodles

1 pound (maybe more) ground beef

onion

spaghetti sauce of your choice (2 jars or 4-5 cups of homemade)

ricotta cheese (maybe 2 cups)

8-10 oz shredded mozzarella

Cook the ground beef and onion together. Put a layer of sauce and the beef mixture in the bottom of the crockpot. Then a layer of uncooked lasagna. Break the noodles to fit. Layer of ricotta. Keep repeating until all ingredients except mozzarella are used. Make sure you have a layer of sauce on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. In last 1/2 hour or so, put a thick layer of mozzarella on top. Cook further to melt cheese.

Curry Coconut Chicken

Chicken parts, skin removed (less fat) - I like thighs (bone in) for this

1 large onion

1 can coconut milk

1 can pineapple in juice (crushed, diced or rings - just chop them up)

Curry powder of your choice - I have a Jamaican spice mix I like that has a few other spices in it

Salt

Red pepper flakes (optional)

Slice up onion fairly thin, toss to separate and place in bottom of crockpot

Layer chicken over the top - don't pack too tightly

Pour coconut milk over top

Add pineapple and about 1/2 of the juice

Sprinkle liberally with salt and 1-2 TBS of curry powder, depending on your preference

If you like it spicy, sprinkle some red pepper flakes

Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how much chicken you use and whether it's boneless. Last batch I made was about 2lbs of thighs (bone-in) and they cooked for 7 hours.

Serve over rice. For extra flavor, debone the thighs, shred up the meat and let it sit in the juice for a while before serving.

Our Favorite Crockpot Chicken

Wrap chicken breasts or thighs with bacon

Place wrapped chicken in the bottom of the crock

Mix 1 can undiluted Cream Of Chicken soup, with equal amount of sour cream, pour over chicken

Cook for 5-6 hours on low (depends on how quickly your pot cooks)

The chicken and bacon fall apart when serving. We serve with (or over) rice or noodles. You can also use biscuits.

You can also add seasonings per your tastes. My kids won't eat much spicy-ness.

Spicy Sweet Short Ribs

Beef short ribs

Teriyaki sauce (I like Soyaki - has some sesame in it and isn't too salty)

Srirachi sauce - you can use other hot sauces, but I like the srirachi because it's got lot of flavor and not just heat. You can usually find it in the asian section of the grocery store.

Onion (optional)

Slice up onion fairly thin, toss to separate and place in bottom of crockpot

Layer short ribs over the top - don't pack tightly

Pour approx. 1 cup of teriyaki over (depending on how many ribs you're cooking)

Pour a fair amount of srirachi on top and spread around

Cook on low for approx. 8 hours. Meat should easily fall off the bone.

Good served over rice or noodles.

Black Bean and Corn with Chicken

3 chicken breasts cut in strips

Can of Black Beans

Can of Corn (I used the equivalent measurement of frozen)

Can of Tomatoes (I used fire roasted)

Can of Tomato Paste (6oz)

Bell Peppers, Onion and/or hot peppers to your taste (Once again used frozen Bell Peppers and hot peppers from our garden)

Spices to taste (Original recipe used taco seasoning) (I used cumin, cayenne, ancho, hot pepper flakes, garlic powder)

I cup of chicken broth (used low sodium)

Threw into crock pot, on low for 6 hours ( I did start at high for the first hour since chicken was somewhat frozen) and let it be. I stirred occasionally, but probably not necessary.

Ate with tortillia chips and cheese. Made 8 servings for us. So 6 frozen meals. Going to try over some brown rice later this week.

The original recipe did not call for the chicken broth, so if you omit, should be thicker and probably great for a borrito or chip dip.

• 2 months later...
  • Pork chops at their best
  •  
  • 4 Pork Chops, bone in
  • 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 Package Onion Soup Mix or 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 Package Dry Pork Gravy Mix
  • 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
Directions 1.     Step One

First place the pork chops down in the bottom.

2.     Step Two

The remaining four ingredients will be mixed in a mixing bowl and then poured over the top of the meat and stir.

3.     Step Three

Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.

Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.

Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless pork-ribs, pork shoulder, or pork loin
2 teaspoons salt (freshly ground is best)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground black pepper (freshly ground is best)
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces

Mix salt, oregano, pepper and cumin together and rub over pork. Place pork in slow cooker and scatter onions on top. Cook pork about 6-8 hours on low.

About 30 minutes before it is done, open slow cooker and use a fork to shred the pork. It should fall apart pretty easily. Let the shredded pork cook in the spice/juice sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Serve with your favorite accompaniments: tortillas, avocado, cheese, cilantro, salsa, etc.

Super Easy Pot Roast

Dump enough baby carrots in crock to cover bottom.  Add a layer of washed, chopped potatoes - little bigger than bite-sized, as they will shrink while cooking.  Coat roast with dried minced onion and seasoning salt.  Place over potatoes.  Pour in one jar of holland style onions.  Add one cup beef broth.  Cook on low all day.

• 1 month later...

My Roast in a crock pot!

I buy either, Chuck, Sirloin Tip or a Round roast. If I want to slice roast thin or have left overs for sandwiches I buy a round roast. I fix my roast different ways and with different things.

1 roast Salted & Peppered

1- onion

6- potatoes peeled and pared(easy-2 cans potatoes drained)

1- small bag carrots peeled and sliced(easy-2 cans carrots drained)

1- can Golden mushroom soup

1 can water

ROAST WITH VARIETY!

You could add a can of tomatoes or celery, extra onion,  with the carrots if you don't want potatoes.  

Sometimes I buy the cream of mushroom soup(white). I just add 1 can and it makes a white gravy. If you want the chuck roast more like a soup add 2 cans of Golden Mushroom soup(brown). Sometimes I fix just a round roast with 1 can of Golden Mushroom soup, carrots, & onion.Slice thin and dip the gravy over the meat.  Then I fix a side dish of  mashed potatoes and another vegetable of green beans or peas.

ROAST AS BARBQUE!

Sometimes I fix a Beef or Pork roast with salt & pepper(pork cooked in small bottle Apple Juice) by itself.

Then I shred, take the fat out and add your favorite barbque sauce. I like Sonnys from Sams. You can put it back in the crock pot to heat up and then turn down on lowest. Serve with buns, chips, coleslaw, baked beans, etc.,

I have also bought different kinds of Kraft barbque and not added it to the meat. Just let everyone choose what sauce they wanted.

MY MOTHERS ROAST!

Salt the Chuck or Sirloin Tip  roast and then dip the roast in flour with added pepper. Then  fry roast in oil just to browned not coooked.  Don't fry very long! Then put in a baking dish or pan. Add  fresh carrots and potatoes and onion peeled and diced. Add a cup of water.  Bake covered in  350  oven 3-4 hours untill meat is tender.  Flour makes its own gravy. Check on the roast and make sure it doesn't need more water. In a crock pot you don't have to worry about it getting to dry or burning the vegetables.

FOR EASY CLEAN UP!

Sometimes I bake my roast in oven in an aluminum pan & covered with aluminum foil. Then I can just throw it away!