Have any of you ever gone geocaching?? I've never done it but it looks like it might be a fun deal to get my kids involved with. Texas Parks and Wildlife has a TV show...I have my DVR set to always record it. In the show they spotlight many of the State Parks and stuff you can do in them. Well recently they had a segment on geocaching...I had not given it much thought...but it's basically like a treasure hunt.

Well I told my 5 year old about it and then last night I showed her that segment of the show about it. She got all fired up and wants to do it soon. What's funny is this morning my wife calls and tells me that on the way to school Kate (my daughter) tells my wife "I don't want to go to the coast anymore....I want to go to a State Park". We are going down to the coast for spring break in a few weeks. My wife asked...why and she says she wants to go to the state park to search for treasure. LOL...I thought that was so cute.

Anyway...I looked at a website and it looks like there are caches everywhere....are there any at FW?? I'm going to load up an app and check out the geocaching website and try to make this an activity on most upcoming camping trips.

At the state parks here they have a process where you can register and get a permit to place one...it's all free but it makes sense...they don't want to put it somewhere where it could damage the grounds or whatever.

There is a big city park with softball fields, walking trails, playgrounds, etc that's like a half mile from my house...I see that there are some there.

I told my daughter that she needs to find some "Treasure" at the house that we can deposit into the caches. I don't know much about it but from what I gather you are suppose to take something and then also leave something. At the state parks they have log books in each cache where you can sign in.

I'm actually looking forward to it because when we go camping I love to go hiking on trails but the girls are not all that interested in doing that so this will give then a reason to go.

We love geocaching but haven't done it in awhile. We actually started a cache on an island in Lake Lanier. It's a lot of fun. My son loves it too. Start easy with one that has been found reguarly, so you can have some early success. We also started a travel bug with directions to send it west, and it made it all the way to Alaska. You can track them online. That was pretty cool as well.

That's good to know. For an app that's a lot but it's the "go to one" and we use it a couple times I'll be happy paying it.

It is for sure. You can find caches near you and see what type they are. You can also use it to log your finds. It has the GPS feature plus houses all the caches. It's well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done it in Georgia some at the State Parks. Most recently, we did it at Anastasia State Park over Thanksgiving. The kids enjoy it but haven't found "fun" stuff in any of the caches. At the GA state parks, we keep a log in our camper of what we have done and once you do so many you get patches from the parks.