New Hot Sandwiches at Liberty Square Market, Magic Kingdom

From the Disney Food Blog, 2 new sandwiches debuting at the Liberty Square Market in the Magic Kingdom...

NEW! Hot Sandwiches Debut in Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square!

Mar 7th, 2013 by AJ.

DFB reporter Zach Metzger has a great review of the brand new sandwiches from Liberty Square Market in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom!

Hot dogs, popcorn, turkey legs, baked potatoes: just a few of the vittles available to satisfy your appetite in Walt Disney World’s Liberty Square.

Liberty-Square-Market-417x625.jpg

Liberty Square Market, home to the aforementioned hot dogs and baked potatoes, is now also the home to two new sandwiches: the Hot Ham and Cheddar and the Hot Roast Beef and Swiss.

Both sandwiches are $6.99 not including tax, and are served wrapped in foil and piping hot, as advertised. I had the chance to try both!

New-Sandwiches-in-Liberty-Square-549x625.jpg

New Sandwiches in Liberty Square

Liberty Square Hot Roast Beef and Swiss Sandwich

The roast beef is presented on a nice French bread “sub”. The bread is crusty on the outside, providing good bite resistance, and moist and springy on the inside.

Piled high with meat, it’s far from skimpy. The flavor on the roast beef was robust; and the Swiss cheese was also in ample supply and at the perfect stage of melty-ness.

Hot-Roast-Beef-and-Swiss-Sandwich-600x435.jpg

Hot Roast Beef and Swiss Sandwich

I tried to cut through the sandwich to show a cross-section, but the plastic knife lost the battle to the crusty bread. Tearing the sandwich in half worked a bit better, but also mostly destroyed it. Oh well. You can use your imagination to picture a perfect cross section, with layers labeled and in their correct places, right?

Hot-Roast-Beef-Cross-Section-600x537.jpg

Hot Roast Beef Cross Section

The sign says the roast beef is made with a horseradish sauce, which was misleading to me. I was expecting a zesty, sinus-clearing, horseradish kick, but instead was disappointed to find what I would call a very lightly seasoned mayonnaise.

The texture was nice, providing a creamy element and taste, but I didn’t get horseradish notes at all. Overall, the sandwich has great textures from the hard/soft bread and creamy “horseradish”, but is lacking on flavor.

Liberty Square Hot Ham and Cheddar Sandwich

Next up, the Hot Ham and Cheddar. This sandwich is served on a round roll. Mine was a bit squished, and the bread was rather soggy. I didn’t mind either of these attributes, but it’s something to keep in mind if you have an aversion to soggy bread.

On the upside, the roll was not dry at all! Like the roast beef, this one is also stacked high with meat, which tasted like standard deli ham. The cheese (cheddar this time) is nice and melty again. This one seemed smaller to me, however it may simply be an illusion with the differing shapes.

Hot-Ham-and-Cheddar-with-Dijonaise-600x537.jpg

Hot Ham and Cheddar with Dijonaise

A dijonaise sauce topped this ‘wich, and I was much more satisfied with it than the horseradish sauce. It enhanced the whole assemblage with a nicely flavorful taste. Although light like a mayo, I could still sense a subtle creamy mustard zip.

Hot-Ham-andCheddar-with-Dijonaise-Cross-Section-600x582.jpg

Hot Ham andCheddar with Dijonaise Cross Section

Overall

I wasn’t overly impressed with either sandwich. They were just okay. I do think they would be a great, safe option for anyone with a semi-picky eater (though watch out with the sauces if you have a non-mayo or non-mustard eater).

If I had to choose which ‘wich to have again, I would choose the roast beef. I think a sandwich is only as good as the bread it is made on, and the bread of the roast beef is far superior to the ham and cheddar’s bread.

Overall these are a pleasant, if not a little boring, addition to Liberty Square Market!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/03/07/new-hot-sandwiches-debut-in-magic-kingdoms-liberty-square/