I think you'll find a lot of opinions here. The consensus seems to be that everyone loves the Giddy ya and Go (GAG) takeout. I think the pizza is pretty much split. I did get one last summer and it was better than I expected, but not fantastic. Very thick crust. 

Enjoy the Fort!

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there were more dining options at the fort.  We would love a nice QS/Cafeteria style that the other resorts offer but understand the many cook in their site on the grill or in their MH.  For me, I would love to not have to worry about cooking while in Disney but with a family of 6 and the number of nights we stay the buffet tends to be out of our "budget"  We have only stayed at the fort once though so we still don't know the tricks to finding inexpensive meals on the go yet (unless you count the sandwiches we are constantly making in the RV,lol)

We often go to Contempo Cafe or Whispering Canyon Cafe, both are just short boat ride away.

We also like to play bus roulette.  We tend to go to the parks at night after hanging at the Fort most of the day.

We then hop on a bus to the first park that comes along, then stay on the bus to whichever resort it is heading for. We then eat at the counter service at that resort, then head for the park for the evening.

Carol~That's a great idea! I LOVE the bus roulette. I think it could work for us on days when we are being lazy and just want to check out a resort...Then I could save the sandwiches for the days we are in a hurry lol (we have four kiddos:13,7,5,3) so getting on and off a bus can be sometimes stressful lol. Whispering Canyon Cafe is a brilliant idea.  I'm surprised I have never thought of this as I tend to be pretty resourceful! THANK YOU for the tip esp. since my kids LOVE to ride the boat!!!

Thumbs up to the take out chicken dinners, other takeout options are... meh.

We find the pizza is better if you ask for it well done so that the crust is at least a bit crisp.

During the day you can also get food at the Meadows Snack bar.  They have a selection of salads, sandwiches, and the ever popular Southern Smothered Hot Dog. 

One thing to keep in mind - you can only get food at the Meadows during certain hours (I think it cuts off around 4pm) and you can only get take out at Trails in for breakfast and at dinner time.

We will sometimes hop the boat to the Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary for more quick service options.

Or if we have more time to kill, hop the monorail and check out the options at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

The options at Wilderness Lodge are great, for sure. If you are on any kind of time crunch or just don't like to spend a lot of time traveling, the bus to WL from the Settlement is just a few minutes. You'd be at the lodge before you ever got on a boat. When I use the fitness center there, I'm always amazed at how fast I'm back at the cart. 

I know they have the Pizza and the Chicken to go! But it would be nice if they offered food to go from their buffet. Something like  $10 for one meat and two vegetables, like they do at the food courts! Like moms night out!  I would buy it! But maybe theres not enough that would!

Is there a place at the Fort to get hand dipped ice cream?

If you ride Mono Fail to the Poly. You can do Quick Service and get a Dole Whip at Capt Cook's, only place other than MK

Is there a place at the Fort to get hand dipped ice cream?

No hand dipped ice cream at the Fort.  Not even soft serve to go.  The only ice cream options are the frozen bars that are offered everywhere else on property.

For a really brief time earlier this year, they had make your own soft serve take-out from Trail's End, but that didn't last long.

TCD

The options at Wilderness Lodge are great, for sure. If you are on any kind of time crunch or just don't like to spend a lot of time traveling, the bus to WL from the Settlement is just a few minutes. You'd be at the lodge before you ever got on a boat. When I use the fitness center there, I'm always amazed at how fast I'm back at the cart. 

I agree that the bus is almost always quicker than the boat.  If you are in one of the loops served by the yellow bus, then the bus is definitely the quicker option, as the yellow bus turns in to the Wilderness Lodge bus when it gets to the Settlement.

At least that has been the case for the past couple of years.  Before that it was the Orange bus that did the WL run, but for now anyway it's the yellow.

This is also good for the way back from WL.  If you are on the yellow route-stay on the bus when it gets to the Settlement bus stop, and it will turn in to the yellow bus.

TCD

We often go to Contempo Cafe or Whispering Canyon Cafe, both are just short boat ride away.

We also like to play bus roulette.  We tend to go to the parks at night after hanging at the Fort most of the day.

We then hop on a bus to the first park that comes along, then stay on the bus to whichever resort it is heading for. We then eat at the counter service at that resort, then head for the park for the evening.

Well that sounds great but.... no telling where I would end up! I'd never end up at the park! LOL!