Not sure where to post this question...

This question is about park tickets and annual passes.

I was just noticing today that by spending a little bit more $ from what we are spending for tickets on this trip, we could get annual passes and then we could visit a couple times a year or more.

We will never get discounts or a good package deal because we are campers so I'm trying to convince DH.

Does anybody else do this?

I don't know where you live, but being a Florida resident (native), I purchase the Florida resident's pass with the blackout dates. Most of the blackouts don't bother me as they normally occur when the park is most crowded. I just go the other times. Much more fun for me not to have to fight the crowds. Economically this makes the most sense for me.

There are limited discounts for passholders at the campground, plus if you are not from Florida, purchasing the AP entitles you to purchase the Tables in Wonderland discount card which allows you to have 20% off table service meals if that is something you like.

I don't know where you live, but being a Florida resident (native), I purchase the Florida resident's pass with the blackout dates. Most of the blackouts don't bother me as they normally occur when the park is most crowded. I just go the other times. Much more fun for me not to have to fight the crowds. Economically this makes the most sense for me.

We live in Ohio. We normally don't go when it's crowded anyway so if they were to have blackout dates, it wouldn't really matter.

I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what they can tell me and how/if it will really save us $. (of course, my whole purpose for this is to convince DH to go to The Fort more often!  :dance: :bugeyes: :rofl2: :rofl2:)

campingmommy, We have decided to buy annual passes. for about $1000.00 more than 10day park hopper (4adult 1 child) we can get passes. we are going for 17 day in april-may, 6days in oct, 10days in dec, and then we will go next april before the tickets expire. After the passes are bought the camping isn't that expensive (compared to staying in a resort) and you have the added the bonus of eating in your camper. I hope you can convince him  :dance: Also we paid for our AAA and we were able to get a discount on the site.

hello, we get premeium annual passes, that includes the water parks too, espn wide world of sports, and it has a 10 to 15 % discount on food at certain places all over disney. We usually buy them for each other for Christmas presents. If you stay longer than than ten days, it will save you money. We do somethimes get passholder discounts, and you can get them thru AAA as well. The one we get have no blockout days.

Just compare both passes and a regular pass. This is of disney's site.

Premium Annual Passes

Make the magic last all year long and enjoy admission to more Resort attractions! The Premium Annual Pass includes:

?unlimited admission (except for activities/events separately priced) for 365 days to Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom Park

?same-day admission to all 4 Walt Disney World theme parks

?complimentary theme park parking

?a year's worth of unlimited access to: Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course (green fees only), Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park and Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (days of operation depend on event schedule) and DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive theme park

?special Passholder discounts on Resort Hotels, dining, merchandise and more

?exclusive Passholder communications with behind-the-scenes information

?exclusive Passholder special events and privileges

Ages 10 & Older

$669.89 USD Ages 3 to 9

$603.86 USD .

Annual Passes

The Annual Pass provides a full year of incredible theme park fun and includes:

?unlimited admission for 365 days to Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom Park

?same-day admission to all 4 Walt Disney World theme parks

?complimentary theme park parking

?special Passholder discounts on Resort Hotels, dining, merchandise and more

?exclusive Passholder communications with behind-the-scenes information

?exclusive Passholder special events and privileges

Ages 10 & Older

$531.44 USD Ages 3 to 9

$479.25 USD

Here is the actual site so you can compare with regular tickets prices

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets-passes/

hope that helps.

If you're a regular visitor then it's worth considering the AP. We do it, but we generally stay in the resorts and find it's worth it for the discounts on the rooms alone.

(although..room discounts are never promised as part of the AP purchase). We try to work it that we get two trips in by going a week earlier the following year. If we get a room discount out of it, then it ususally pays for itself. We had the Poly for $238.00 a night last year. That being said, no such luck yet this year. But who knows what might open up.

Even though you don't get much of discount in the campground, I think it would be worth considering if you were to take two trips with the AP.

Also..as mentioned you can purchase the Tables In Wonderland card that gets you 20% off at most of the table service locations.

We are from Indiana....Howdy neighbor :banana: We bought annual passes in October for the first time. We usually just go to disney once a year for about 7-8 days...but we talked about going back this June fo 2 weeks.....and we are! :rofl2: I am so excited to just go and not have to rush around.....if you get the vacation time off, and you truly like the Fort....I will recommend it! I just wish we lived a bit closer to take more advantage of it!

I am gonna mention the "danger" that having an AP brings...you end up saying to yourself, "Well, I do have an AP and I want to get my money's worth so I need to plan a few more trips!" Everytime we buy AP's we end up making at least 4-5 trips. This year I have already been twice on my AP and we have 4 more trips planned!  :banana: :rofl2: We are lucky to live close enough to do this!

If you're uncertain, you could always get a standard AP for just one of you to take advantage of any AP discounts. You can always upgrade the other passes to APs, if you decide that works best for you, before heading home from that first trip. You'd only have to pay the difference in price to upgrade the others once there as long as you do it within 14 days or so of first use...

However, as an "out of stater" unless your next trip is within a couple weeks of your renewal date, it is more cost effective to get a new annual pass.

When they had the 15 month renewals, it worked out for us to renew, but every other time we have just gotten "new" annual passes.

The reason for this is renewals start from the day your old pass expires.  New annual passes start on first day of use, so there is no sense in paying for several months of nonuse if you don't have to.

I am gonna mention the "danger" that having an AP brings...you end up saying to yourself, "Well, I do have an AP and I want to get my money's worth so I need to plan a few more trips!" Everytime we buy AP's we end up making at least 4-5 trips. This year I have already been twice on my AP and we have 4 more trips planned!  :rofl2: :rofl2: We are lucky to live close enough to do this!

This is a gigantic  MOUSE TRAP for semi locals. When we had PAPs the cost of the tickets was nothing compared to the cost of all the extra trips. Gas, lodging, food, golf cart rentals, souvenirs.  Not to mention the feeling that you HAVE  to go to WDW every time you get any time off.  That mouse is a sly one.  Be afraid.  Be very, very, afraid for your wallet. 

I am gonna mention the "danger" that having an AP brings...you end up saying to yourself, "Well, I do have an AP and I want to get my money's worth so I need to plan a few more trips!" Everytime we buy AP's we end up making at least 4-5 trips. This year I have already been twice on my AP and we have 4 more trips planned!  :rofl2: :rofl2: We are lucky to live close enough to do this!

This is a gigantic  MOUSE TRAP for semi locals. When we had PAPs the cost of the tickets was nothing compared to the cost of all the extra trips. Gas, lodging, food, golf cart rentals, souvenirs.  Not to mention the feeling that you HAVE  to go to WDW every time you get any time off.  That mouse is a sly one.  Be afraid.  Be very, very, afraid for your wallet.

I agree! Since we started getting APs, we have dropped a lot of money on the mouse. BUT, when you do go, the AP provides for less stress touring. If you want to go to MK just for a parade or FW you don't feel as though you are wasting a day.

I love my AP and would probably not go any other way.

Plus there are many other perks throughout the year.

I can see where they would be dangerous and you could spend more money. Our problem is we get that "Disney feeling" when we haven't been there for awhile and usually around early fall or mid winter! Especially this time of year when we've had the winter that we've had up north and in Ohio!

The other thing is my DH's job requires him to travel a lot for conferences and many of them are in the Orlando area or near by (one reason we get to go in May!) and his company will pay for our campgrounds/hotel rooms (if off season and our camper is in storage) and mileage if we choose to drive.

So, I'm kind of thinking the AP's are a good way to go...I just need to find that time to sit down and look at all the pro's and con's and then call them. I ended up with a sick little one this weekend and it's not making much time to accomplish much. 

Thanks to everyone for their comments/experiences/input! I appreciate very much!

However, as an "out of stater" unless your next trip is within a couple weeks of your renewal date, it is more cost effective to get a new annual pass.

When they had the 15 month renewals, it worked out for us to renew, but every other time we have just gotten "new" annual passes.

The reason for this is renewals start from the day your old pass expires.  New annual passes start on first day of use, so there is no sense in paying for several months of nonuse if you don't have to.

Carol,

Thanks for that tip!  :parrot:

We only get down to WDW once a year - but we do it for 3 weeks to make it count.  :rofl2:

We buy APs and just plan to get 2 years worth of trips in within 365 days.  Saves us a TON on park tickets.

We also take advantage of the AP merch discount any time we can.  Used to be you only got it at WoD downtown, but last year they extended that to pretty much ALL Disney owned shops.  I know they'd extended that into the new year, but not sure if it's still going on or for how long.

If you take advantage of other activities at WDW (tours and such) you can save on those with APs too.

We also get the TiW card - again, getting 2 years worth of trips in on one card.  That's also saved us a lot, but how much that will save you really depends on how many TS meals you tend to eat on property.