I know how this worked in the past, but I wondered if there's been any change in the policy.

I bought an 8-day Non-expiring MYW ticket with Park Hopping and Water Parks. The ticket itself is worth more than a regular AP. I want to upgrade it to an AP right after I use it the first time like I've done before and I know some other Fiends have. Question, though. I've never had a ticket worth more than what I'm upgrading to. Will that cause any issues? And no one has had any issues doing this ticket switch-a-roo lately, have they?  I haven't seen any reports, but I also am guessing most people don't know you can do this.

And before you ask, this ticket was deeply discounted, so it made the most sense to buy it vs a lesser cost one and paying the difference. I think I'll end up saving right around $50 off the cost of the AP.

Thanks!

I know how this worked in the past, but I wondered if there's been any change in the policy.

I bought an 8-day Non-expiring MYW ticket with Park Hopping and Water Parks. The ticket itself is worth more than a regular AP. I want to upgrade it to an AP right after I use it the first time like I've done before and I know some other Fiends have. Question, though. I've never had a ticket worth more than what I'm upgrading to. Will that cause any issues? And no one has had any issues doing this ticket switch-a-roo lately, have they?  I haven't seen any reports, but I also am guessing most people don't know you can do this.

And before you ask, this ticket was deeply discounted, so it made the most sense to buy it vs a lesser cost one and paying the difference. I think I'll end up saving right around $50 off the cost of the AP.

Thanks!

As far as I know you will not get a refund on the extra. I have not heard of any changes to the upgrade policy that would stop you from going to an AP.  

From what I understand, you get the current value IF you buy the ticket from a wholesaler such as Undercover Tourist.  Yes, you must use it in a turnstyle at least once for it to become current gate price.

If you got it from Disney, let's say you did a free dining package and didn't use the required tickets you had to purchase because you had APs.  On those tickets you only get what you paid for them, not gate value, even if prices have gone up since you bought the original ticket.

Thanks everyone. I have a friend who just did this it turns out and they didn't give him any hassle. I just assume it's only a matter of time before they put a stop to it.

Jason - I haven't used it yet, no. Not until everyone else is at Stone Mountain and I'm braving the Memorial Day crowds.

Carol - That's what I had heard and done before. It seems crazy that they haven't stopped this yet. I'll give it a try in approximated 4.5 weeks, though, and report back.

Thanks everyone. I have a friend who just did this it turns out and they didn't give him any hassle. I just assume it's only a matter of time before they put a stop to it.

Jason - I haven't used it yet, no. Not until everyone else is at Stone Mountain and I'm braving the Memorial Day crowds.

Carol - That's what I had heard and done before. It seems crazy that they haven't stopped this yet. I'll give it a try in approximated 4.5 weeks, though, and report back.

Brent you can't be going when we are all in Stn. Mtn.!!!!!!!!!!! How am I going to see you?????

Brent you can't be going when we are all in Stn. Mtn.!!!!!!!!!!! How am I going to see you? ????

I'll be there for July 4th, too, so I'm sure we'll see each other then. 

How long are you there Brent?  I get to the Fort on the 1st. (I'll be in a conference on Mon - Wed)

It's actually looking like a non-Fort trip in June since it's going to be short. I'm there May 30 - June 5. It's not really long enough to drag everything down there and back and I'll be in the parks a LOT those 5 days or so, so the Fort and relaxing becomes less of an issue. I'll be by the Fort that weekend, though. I have a couple of friends (who are lurkers on here and steal lamp post ideas) in the Preferred sites.

I'll do my best to check FF and see where abouts you are and swing by that afternoon before heading to MK. I really, really wish the Fort were an option, but it just looks like it's not meant to be this trip, no matter how much I want it to be.  In fact, I think I'm staying off-property over off 535 at one of my secret, not many tourists seem to find it, hotels there.