To wait or not to wait...

So, I'm planning a cruise on the Fantasy in September 2014. I have been all over the DCL site and know which cruise I want and the date and everything. I was getting ready to gather up the considerable down payment when I read something that said if I wait till the last minute, I could save a "significant" amount on my cruise. Which just sounds counter-intuitive to me, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Book now or wait till closer to the sail date??

It's a gamble.  The early booking rates are pretty good.  Most of the chatter I've seen on discounts late have been for Florida residents.  Perhaps talk to a travel agent such as [email protected]

She books a lot of cruises, and can tell you historical data.

Of course, booking early gives you the opportunity to pay as you go.

It's hard to say.

With DCL, it used to be you got the best deal by booking early.

The last couple of years, though, they have released lots of discounts after the "pay in full date" for cruises.  The pay in full date is the date when the full cruise payment is due.  After that date, DCL scrambles to fill the ship, if they need to.

It used to be that if a better deal came along after the pay in full day, a guest who had paid in full could ask for that deal.  Last year, I tried to do that, and got the shaft.  So, it is no longer true that you always get the best deal by booking early.

I've been watching for a cheap DCL cruise myself.  So far, the discounts this year are not as good as they've been the last two.

One thing is for sure- if you can only cruise at a certain time, you should book now.  Cruises can sell out.  And, DCL seems to be constantly adjusting how they do things.  Last minute discounts used to be unheard of.  If the economy improves between now and 2014, there may be no deals and no cruise for you.

TCD

I don't really care about where our room is (I've never cruised at all before, so maybe I'm being naive here) and don't really have a preference for dining time (if that matters) so I'm tempted to wait, but I'm a planner when it comes to vacation and I think I would feel better having it booked. Maybe I will email Rhonda to ask for some advice. 
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the input!

Forgot to add get a Disney Visa. The down payment automatically goes on 6 mo same as cash and then the final payment is given the same consideration. That way you don't need all the cash up front.

Disney Visa cardholders also often get shipboard credits, in addition to any credits your travel agent will give you.  When we cruised on the Dream using our Visa we got a $50 credit per stateroom for using the Visa card. 

I don't really care about where our room is (I've never cruised at all before, so maybe I'm being naive here) and don't really have a preference for dining time (if that matters) so I'm tempted to wait, but I'm a planner when it comes to vacation and I think I would feel better having it booked. Maybe I will email Rhonda to ask for some advice. 

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the input!

I would personally recommend first seating if you suffer from motion sickenss.  that whole watching the show while slightly hungry in the front of a pitching boat...

I would personally recommend first seating if you suffer from motion sickenss.  that whole watching the show while slightly hungry in the front of a pitching boat...

For full disclosure, you should mention that you were sailing while a hurricane was churning not too far away.

But, you raised a good point- main (early) seating does go first.  You probably can't get early seating with a last minute booking.  For us, that has never been a problem- we prefer the late seating.

TCD