Chicken Alfredo Roll Ups

Cheryl Kuethe and Loretta Konkel Slozer shared Old school parenting's photo.

10905_350395095066362_160118856_n.jpg

Chicken Alfredo Roll-ups

9 lasagna noodles

2 ½ cups alfredo sauce (optional homemade recipe below)

2 cups cooked, shredded chicken

oregano

garlic salt

3 cups shredded Mozzarella, or cheese of your choice

Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray and pour ½ cup alfredo sauce, or just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Boil 8-10 cups water in a large pan, cook lasagne noodles until al dente. (I usually cook 1 or 2 extra just because lasagna noodles always seem to break on me when I am stirring them.)

Now this is the important part! Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water to prevent them from sticking to each other. Then, lay out each noodle individually and blot dry with a paper towel.

Spread about 2 Tbs. alfredo sauce over each noodle. (if there is too much sauce you will have a big mess on your hands!) Sprinkle oregano and garlic salt on top of sauce. Take 1/9 of the shredded chicken and spread it out evenly over each noodle. Add approx. 3 Tbs. cheese. To roll up, start at one end and roll the noodle over the toppings. You will need to lift the noodle a little to prevent squishing out the inside ingredients while rolling.

Place the roll-ups in the pan, one by one, seam-side down so they don't come undone. Once they are all in the pan, pour the remaining alfredo sauce over the top. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted on top.

Serves 3, 3 roll-ups each

Garlic Alfredo Sauce

½ cup butter

2 ounces cream cheese

2 cups heavy cream (or substitute half and half)

2 teaspoon garlic powder

½ tsp. fresh minced garlic

salt and freshly ground black pepper

½ tsp dried oregano

⅔ cup parmesan cheese

In a medium to large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add fresh minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the cream cheese and whisk to smooth and melted. Whisk in the heavy cream.

Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and whisk frequently until sauce thickens, around 15 minutes. Stir in the cheese and when melted, remove from heat and serve.

In the process of making these for tonight's dinner. I will let you know what the verdict is after we have eaten them.

Some observations made while preparing them:

The recipe does not flow easily. Definetly use the heavy cream instead of the 1/2 and 1/2 if you are making the homemade sauce unless you have tons of patience and time to wait for the sauce to thicken. The recipe calls for 3 cups of cheese and then says to put about 3 tablespoons on each roll. Of course doing this you have a ton extra so, I just sprinkled more on each row. Then got to the end and is says to top with remaining cheese. Oops! Oh well I topped it with the parmesan. Oh and speaking of that it does not specify grated or shredded. I used shredded as I happened to look up some reviews and that was what was suggested.

I did add in some spinach as Dave suggested.

So my vote prior to eating it is too time consuming and lack of organization (the recipe not mine which is very surprising) to make again.

Here are the pictures of mine. 

Sorry it doesn't look as pretty as the one in the recipe.  

P1050101.jpg

Here is one after a row has been removed.  

P1050102.jpg

As I said, not prettty.  But Jessica went back for seconds and even wanted thirds.  I told her she had to wait until the guys had at least had some.   :rofl3:

So, I guess I will be making it again, but not anytime soon and  I will probably just go ahead and use the already prepared alfredo sauce sold at the stores.  

Also next time I will add more spinach.  I only sprinkled a little bit inside each roll.