Southern Peach Cobbler

Southern Peach Cobbler

southern-peach-cobbler.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Living in Southwestern Florida for so many years I developed an appreciation for many Southern things (not really the south, but a lot of Southern exposure).  One of which is Southern desserts such as pies, crisps, and cobblers.  None have stuck with me quite as much as this recipe that my friend Mary shared with me from Allrecipes.com, long after I moved to Arizona.

The peach mixture is luscious and creamy.  The cobbler is absolutely divine.  It is crisp on the outside and cakey on the inside.  Served along side a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you'll be in heaven.

This cobbler transports me to a small Southern town, where your neighbor bakes you a fresh cobbler with peaches they picked off their tree.  You sit on your porch drinking iced tea watching the sun set.  Your kids play out front with the neighborhood kids and you haven't a worry in the world.  You leave your front door open during the day and sleep with the windows open at night.  You hear musical phrases such as "all ya'll", "fit to be tied" and "down yonder" where they are "fixin' to" do something and they don't think or consider...  They "reckon".

Such fond memories with every bite of this fabulous cobbler.  I know you will enjoy it as much as I do!  Mr. W and Em are HUGE fans too.  I was so excited to get a bushel of fresh Utah peaches (not exactly Georgia peaches, but darn close!) to freeze, can and bake with.  I had a bunch of peach recipes I was going to share with you, but I am down to about 1 1/2 dozen peaches and this cobbler is calling to me in my dreams, so I reckon' I'll be fixin' to make another!  Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com

Southern Peach Cobbler

8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges

1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

For Cobbler:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup boiling water

FOR SPRINKLING:
3 tablespoons white sugar

Preheat oven to 400° (if you are using a dark or glass pan - 425° if you are using a light color pan).

In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. 

peach-mixture.jpgpeach-mixture-in-baking-dis.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. 

dy-cobbler-ingredients.jpgcombined-cobbler-ingredient.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined. 

cut-in-butter.jpgcobbler-topping.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. 

baked-peaches.jpgdollops-of-cobbler.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar. Set your baking dish on a baking sheet (this cobbler can drip into the oven otherwise).  Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes. 

sprinkled-with-sugar.jpgfresh-out-of-the-oven.jpg

Serve and enjoy!!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe - The Slow Roasted Italian.com

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2011/09/southern-peach-cobbler.html