I'm looking for a "Fiend on the Scene" that can check and see what's doing with the Kona Sushi bar at the Poly.

I just read that they've now moved the sushi chefs inside Kona Cafe to a new area setup in the center of the dining area, and that the coffee/sushi bar outside is now ONLY a coffee bar again.

Question is... is there still a sushi bar you can walk in and sit a,t or do you now have to book Kona Cafe for regular seating to get sushi there? 

(we'll be very sad if it's the latter)

Any first hand or confirmed info anyone can dig up is much appreciated!

Hmm... looking at that photo it appears there's a big centerpiece on the area behind the glass where the sushi chefs used to prepare the food.  That area is also missing all the prep stuff - dishes, cases to hold the ingredients, etc.

Also IIRC all the syrups and other coffee stuff you see in the photo wasn't there before.

But since they've clearly set the bar for dining customers, makes me wonder/hope that they've just moved the chefs inside Kona Cafe but you can still sit out at the bar area and get sushi.

I really hope so, otherwise I may end up making a LOT of Kona Cafe reservations...

Hmm... looking at that photo it appears there's a big centerpiece on the area behind the glass where the sushi chefs used to prepare the food.  That area is also missing all the prep stuff - dishes, cases to hold the ingredients, etc.

Also IIRC all the syrups and other coffee stuff you see in the photo wasn't there before.

But since they've clearly set the bar for dining customers, makes me wonder/hope that they've just moved the chefs inside Kona Cafe but you can still sit out at the bar area and get sushi.

I really hope so, otherwise I may end up making a LOT of Kona Cafe reservations...

You might be right!  This photo was taken at 5:27 pm.  I took it to show how it wasn't busy- but maybe it wasn't busy because regular slobs aren't allowed to just show up and grab a seat.

Also, there is a sign there on the counter that may say something about seating- it's too blurry to read.

Hopefully, I will be back that way before the end of the month, and will certainly check on this.

There were several new sushi items in the takeout case in Captain Cook's, and they had Kona Sushi Bar labels on them.  In the past, my recollection is the sushi they had in Captain Cook's came from some other place and was the same as the offerings in other quick serve locations around property. So there do seem to have been some changes.

TCD

There were several new sushi items in the takeout case in Captain Cook's, and they had Kona Sushi Bar labels on them.  In the past, my recollection is the sushi they had in Captain Cook's came from some other place and was the same as the offerings in other quick serve locations around property. So there do seem to have been some changes.

Ooh - well that's good news at least.

Actually if they've only just moved the chefs, and you can still sit at the bar, I wonder if that means you can get sushi starting at lunch now, instead of having to wait until 5pm?

Now that would be very good news indeed!  :)

Ooh - well that's good news at least.

Actually if they've only just moved the chefs, and you can still sit at the bar, I wonder if that means you can get sushi starting at lunch now, instead of having to wait until 5pm?

Now that would be very good news indeed!  :)

Actually, my take out sushi was bad.  The rice was really dried out- like it had been in the fridge too long.  I checked the date on it after I ate the first piece- and it said sell by April 29.  Which was that day.

I didn't want to chance eating spoiled sushi, so I brought it back.  I explained the situation to the CM-and asked if I could check and see if there was a newer one in the case.  She said sure.  All the sushi in the case had the same expiration date.  I asked her how often they got fresh deliveries, and she said all she knew is that they were due for a delivery that evening.  I'm not sure if that means it is made fresh daily or not.

Anyway- the sushi roll I had on April 29 was not so good.

TCD

Ugh.  Yeah, if it's just sitting in a refrigerated case for any length of time it's just not going to taste good.

It's one thing if it's an hour or so, but if it's much longer than that the rice starts drying out and the whole thing just tends to get mushy and flavorless.

Called Bobby today re. This whole matter. He says the Sushi bar is being renamed the Polynesian Bait Shop.

Ya, there is no way the chefs would be reaching over those syrup bottles.  I hope you can still sit there though, that's always our last minute go to spot so that we don't get the obligatory "You don't have a reservation eyeroll" that I am so fond of.

I hope you can still sit there though, that's always our last minute go to spot so that we don't get the obligatory "You don't have a reservation eyeroll" that I am so fond of.

Me too, as it's one of our go-to places in general because 1) no ADR and 2) the sushi is just plain good!

..oh yeah and there's that whole "if you time it right you can snag a dole whip and watch Wishes on the beach too" thing.  8)

Me too, as it's one of our go-to places in general because 1) no ADR and 2) the sushi is just plain good!

..oh yeah and there's that whole "if you time it right you can snag a dole whip and watch Wishes on the beach too" thing.  8)

You forgot to mention that they will bring you one of those pineapples full of alcohol there too.

I really will be sad if you can't walk up there anymore.

TCD

Kona is one of our favorite places. We went there back in the last week of March. We noticed they were not making sushi out front but had just moved it to the back of the restaurant that week. The waitress said you could still order sushi at the bar but would be made in the back. This does not sound right to me and most likely is the swan song to the sushi bar. The sushi was not as good as it was either. Andrew, I agree with you on checking to-go-sushi dates. Publix sushi is not the greatest but for a quick kinda healthier lunch on the run it's not bad, but I always make sure it was made that day. I bought some from the publix by our old house a year ago where they do not have a sushi station and it was horrible and threw it out. If the poly wanted to make a few extra bucks and do it right, they should find a better location with more seating and serve it fresh always

Who really buys that art work?  It's all real nice and I guess a lot are done by some famous artist but for the price and lugging it back home to hang in one of my kids rooms just to have them outgrow the Mickey thing is not my cup of tea...lol

Who really buys that art work?  It's all real nice and I guess a lot are done by some famous artist but for the price and lugging it back home to hang in one of my kids rooms just to have them outgrow the Mickey thing is not my cup of tea...lol

I don't know why I think this....and I hope it doesn't come across as racist.  But I picture that artwork being purchased by Japanese tourists. 

Live from kona coffee island and sushi bar. The only thing that changed was the sushi chefs were moved. You can still order off the menu and sit at the island. They still have wait staff working the area. It's busy with no available seats at 7 pm. We got sushi to go and sat outside.