We used to go straight through Jacksonville on our way down. Drove right down I-95 business and crossed that bridge downtown. But what's the norm these days? I know there's the by-pass to the west of Jacksonville but someone was telling me about another by-pass to the east. Supposedly one with a really huge bridge.

Considering pulling an RV, which is best? I don't mind going through town if that's the quickest way to go.

Hi!  I live here, and would say just stay on 95.  You may hit some traffic depending on the time of day (if during the week), but if there's traffic on 95, there is traffic on 295 too(the bypass that goes both E and W).  Particularly if it is very windy, avoid the bypass.  One way takes you over a high suspension bridge, the other over a 2.5 mile bridge.

If you need fuel or food, stop at one of the exits North of the city, near the airport, or just south of the city at the Flying J.  In between can be "iffy" and/or difficult to negotiate.

This has been discussed before by people who drive motorhomes and tow RV's, search for some of the keywords and see what they say, too.  We tow a travel trailer but I live south of the city so by the time I get on 95 it's almost to the World Golf Village, so I don't have to deal w/ the bridges over the St. John's River.

We used to go straight thru but now always go west... well except for last summer when DH missed the turn and went east over the bridge. Won't make that mistake again. I think it's 6 of 1 to a half dozen of another when comparing going thru the city vs going west time-wise but I personally like the bypass westward.

BTW - I have a mean towing anxiety and don't like bridges but the 2.5 mile bridge is low and doesn't bother me...

BTW - I have a mean towing anxiety and don't like bridges but the 2.5 mile bridge is low and doesn't bother me...

I think I saw the impressions on the dash and arm rest from your death grip still in your truck when we were at Gettysburg :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

We used to stay on 95, but on our last trip we tried the western loop.  Here's a pic crossing the bridge:

Picture009.jpg

I really dislike bridges, especially over water, but this one didn't bother me too much because it is low.

We got around Jacksonville so much less stressed!  Traffic was so light, and we just zipped on.  We'll always take the western loop now.  BTW, this was at about 1:30 pm on a weekday.

I think I saw the impressions on the dash and arm rest from your death grip still in your truck when we were at Gettysburg :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

lol if you did it would have been from when DH took the east bypass instead of going west.

When the ramp to enter stretches and curves into the sky, IMO that should be taken as a warning. I was making deals with God as we crossed the suspension bridge. When there was a catholic church right across the road from our campsite on the beach in Ormond that night, I figured he was sending me a sign to collect. Made sure to be up and seated in a pew early the next morning to give thanks while DH and the girls got us ready to pull out.

You may keep your nasty old big rigs and scary bay bridges, thank you. I'll take the level land-locked two lane i-95 stretches and my Seagrams coolers... :raspberry:

Don't believe everything people are saying. The bypass to the east was the greatest thing Florida DOT ever did. It is much shorter than the western bypass and much less traffic than the straight route. My wife is no fan of bridges. I tell her to close her eyes and deal with it. Keep to the middle lane and everything is cool. On second thought, I strongly encourage everyone to use the western route. It will keep traffic down even more for me.

Don't believe everything people are saying. The bypass to the east was the greatest thing Florida DOT ever did. It is much shorter than the western bypass and much less traffic than the straight route. My wife is no fan of bridges. I tell her to close her eyes and deal with it. Keep to the middle lane and everything is cool. On second thought, I strongly encourage everyone to use the western route. It will keep traffic down even more for me.

I agree with this 100%.  I think it was Stacktester who recommended this route when it opened and he should know as I believe he lives in Jacksonville.  Originally, I think it may have been called 9A rather than 295 East but I could be confusing things.

The 295 West bypass seems to add a lot of extra distance but the 295 East route seemed really fast in comparison on the 3 trips I've used it. I haven't found traffic to be heavy but I haven't traveled this route during rush hour.

I live here, and would say just stay on 95.  

Take 95 all the way or 295 west. 

Let me get this straight. Both of the locals that have posted and have probably taken those roads hundreds of times, say that the their first choice is staying on I-95, or the west route. Yet you out of state knuckleheads, and you know who you are, that may have traveled it 4 or 5 times, seem to think that they are incorrect and are giving an alternate route. My money is on the local knuckleheads..

Let me get this straight. Both of the locals that have posted and have probably taken those roads hundreds of times, say that the their first choice is staying on I-95, or the west route. Yet you out of state knuckleheads, and you know who you are, that may have traveled it 4 or 5 times, seem to think that they are incorrect and are giving an alternate route. My money is on the local knuckleheads..

If they want to take the tall bridge and get blown around then drive past the waste water facility let them!

Here's the difference. Every time I have taken that route I have been pulling a 7000lb trailer. My daily commute here in Allentown is not the same route I take when I pull my trailer around here, nor is it the one I would recommend someone from out of town use if they are pulling a trailer. I have towed thru Jacksonville on 95, on the western bypass and the eastern bypass, a lot more than 4 or 5 times, and the last route I would recommend is 95 thru Jacksonville unless it is 4 am. The western bypass is too damn long. Distance wise, the eastern bypass is more comparable to taking 95 thru the city, and you avoid the city traffic especially if you hit it around 8 am on a weekday. Put your money wherever you want, but this knucklehead is going to continue using the eastern bypass.

Here's the difference. Every time I have taken that route I have been pulling a 7000lb trailer. My daily commute here in Allentown is not the same route I take when I pull my trailer around here, nor is it the one I would recommend someone from out of town use if they are pulling a trailer. I have towed thru Jacksonville on 95, on the western bypass and the eastern bypass, a lot more than 4 or 5 times, and the last route I would recommend is 95 thru Jacksonville unless it is 4 am. The western bypass is too damn long. Distance wise, the eastern bypass is more comparable to taking 95 thru the city, and you avoid the city traffic especially if you hit it around 8 am on a weekday. Put your money wherever you want, but this knucklehead is going to continue using the eastern bypass.

When was the last time you passed through here?  I get what you're saying, however in recent months things have changed.  95 is wider in many spots, and 9A/295 East is now under construction (being expanded) so there are no shoulders and lane closures in many spots south of the Dames Point bridge.  And, 9A/295 East has grown in popularity in the past couple of years and has it's share of stop and go moments, even in the middle of the day. 

Honestly, all 3 options are a crapshoot unless it's 4 am.  I'd still stick to 95.  The time difference is negligible, and I am a stickler for the old "Shortest distance between 2 points" theory.

If you find yourself coming up on our fair city between 7 am and 9 am, or 4 pm and 6 pm, get off in Yulee and head over to 301, or find a Cracker Barrel and eat a long, leisurely meal.

Not that my opinion matters, but I also was impressed by 95 last week. It seems like they've been working on it forever. It feels a lot wider and that big curve is mostly straightened out now. There's still road construction, but nothing like it was before. I've driven through there, probably, 100 times over the last 13 years and it is, by far, the best it's been in that time frame.

Might as well throw my hat into the ring and see who I can offend (its one of my hobbies). I don't live in J-ville but have driven through many times and have taken all 4 ways around/through at all times of the day, but usually seems to be the am or pm rush hours. Personally, my first choice is to say "the hell with Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando" and take exit 1 and head west on 301 towards Ocala. It supposed to take a little longer but by missing the stop-and-go crap on 95 and I4 its just as quick and way more leisurely.

Second choice is the east bypass. We love the big bridge and I pull a 40 foot 14,000 lb trailer. Compared to the West Virginia Turnpike...that bridge is a snap. We like to see how many cruise ships we can see in port on the west side or the big container ships on the east side.

Third choice would be straight through town, but it has always been stop-and-go for us and there is no place good to pull off if you have an emergency issue.

Finally, the west bypass is too long, it takes forever.

We towed a 5th wheel and then had a MH until last year. Always took 9A/E295. I don't like bridges either (our first trip in MH was over Sunshine Skyway-thought I was going to have to check my pants as we were riding in the breakdown lane due to construction) but the middle lane over the suspension is A-OK with me. Can't see anything but the car in front of you. In fact we just drove over it coming back from Hilton Head/Savannah 2 weeks ago and all was still fine.