We will be leaving on june 15th for 8 days.I will be going with my wife,our 12yr old sone and a 11yr old we are trying to adopt.I have a few questions that I have not found answers to anywhere.

we live about an hour away,I have heard of people checking in at 11 am or earlier.What is the "ideal" time to check in so we can get a "better" site.we are staying in a full hook up site.

we will be bringing the boys bikes,and games and such,and are only planning on going to the water parks.Is there a field so we can throw the football and baseball around thats not in the street??

I would like to smoke some BBQ while we are there.Is it ok to use my smoker and such at our site??

Thank you 

Tim

Definitely.  And be sure to post your site number and when you will be away so some fiends can drop by and help themselves.  And be sure to let us know when it will be ready to eat.  Watch out for Lou, the degenerate bus driver.  He prowls for BBQ and Apple Pie or cobbler.  :rofl2:

And welcome to the Fort Fiends website.  We are a friendly and slightly off beat bunch and most have a great deal of knowledge about WDW and Fort Wilderness in particular.  :welcome:

I don't know if there's an ideal time to check in. We usually try to shoot for between 11am and 1, figuring that if they give us a site we're not happy with, there's usually time to finagle a switch as long as we're willing to wait for it to be ready. The overflow lot is my frieeeend! :studsmatta-smiley:

You can fax a request listing 3 or 4 sites you'd like about a week prior to your arrival. That works for many. It can't hurt.

The field on the right side heading up to the outpost is a popular place for the RCFD to get some exercise and throw a football around. It might be an enjoyable spot for your boys too. If the firefighters are playing when you drive by be sure to wave! They're awesome guys!

Ideal time to check in: there really isn't, it's kind of luck. We've gotten there right at 11 and gotten a rotten site and we've gotten there at 10pm and gotten the best site.

There are plenty of places to throw the ball. Down by the beach next to the park, by the meadows pool over by the volleyball court.

I saw a guy using a giant smoker on his site yesterday. Smelled up the whole campground. I don't think anyone minded.

Have fun!

We've gotten in as early as 10am and had to wait until almost 3pm once (storms delayed everything that day). Can't hurt to get there early and roll the dice.

If you do happen to get a site you aren't crazy about, you can always ask for another.

Some Fiends have had lucking driving around and making a list of sites they'd prefer (same loop classification) then calling the front desk and asking if they can move into one of them.

Along those lines, if you have a smart phone on you, the Fort Fiends mobile app can come in handy for that.
http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/fort-wilderness-sites-mobile-app-now-available-r265

Good luck and have an awesome trip!

Since your getting there on a Saturday I suggest you show up early as you can, 8am if its not a stretch. Then park in the overflow and ride the bus around and look in the stores or whatever. Wben your sites ready go look and make sure its what you want because you will be there awhile. If you don't call up front and let them know, they are always happy to try and get you what you want. And yes there are many places to spread out and run.

Thanks TJ...I know the way I am 11am is late for me.For me it will be like Christmas....can't sleep and will be up and packing the TT by 6am and will be waking everyone up when I'm done saying..."can we go now......can we go now"!!!!!

Know the feeling well!!

We have been there as early as 11 am and gotten right in.....been there at 1 and had to wait....so it just depends on the number of people who show up when you do.  A few times we have taken the site assigned to us and when we got to it we did not fit in there so we called the front office and told them we had found some sites that would work and they would check them out and give us one of those.   If for some reason you can't get in, park in the over-flow lot, get out the bikes and ride around the campground.

Have a great time and welcome to this wonderful group of nuts.......we will be there in December for 3 weeks.

Oh, I am wife to Retired and Happy (Ken) above.  :welcome:   :welcrowd:  :mh1:   :grpwelcome:   :purpleflam:      

If you do happen to get a site you aren't crazy about, you can always ask for another.

Some Fiends have had lucking driving around and making a list of sites they'd prefer (same loop classification) then calling the front desk and asking if they can move into one of them.

We have checked in as early as 7am.  We go to the overflow lot, unload the golf cart, and go check out the site we're assigned to.  If it won't work, we drive around and make a list of the sites that we would be comfortable in, then go back to the front desk and ask to be switched.  Usually works for us.  The longest we've ever had to wait for a site is an hour.

Have a great trip!

So would it be wrong if they showed up earlier, parked in the overflow lot, got on the golf cart or bikes, went to check it the site and proceeded to start to pack up the people that were in the site already?

How early?  'cause I'd pay good money for someone else to come pack us up!

flaboy1968: We have driven through Kanawha a few time in years gone by. We wanted to see how the other half lives. Not sure they would let our aging vans in there now. It is a nice area, with some wonderful homes. We don't live in that part of town. We live south of the Mountain, off Rockbridge. We do like the Stone Mountain area (been here 26 years) and it makes it really easy to get to the FF Grand Gathering at the park during Memorial Day weekend.

I've been here since 1987, so it's pretty much home now.  In fact just put on our second roof today.

BTW, I had this reply ready several days ago, but couldn't get the system to post it.

Tim,  Lake Lanier is above Full Pool for the first time in many years.  Since the late 80's, it has tended to run anywhere from 5-10 feet low due to droughts.  A fast moving system tonight will probably add a few inches more.  They are now thinking of permanently raising Full Pool two feet to add 30 years or so to adequate water to the Atlanta area system.  And plan on the Stone Mountain GG for next memorial Day weekend.  I haven't heard anything definite yet, and one rumor had it moving to TN.  Keep a watch on these forums for further word.  Ken