Why are Disney’s computer systems so screwed up?

\ Rant on

A little over a week ago I made a 1 day reservation for a stay at Pop Century to get some use out of our park passes.  It’s just a lot easier for a 1 night trip to get a hotel room.  

I called in because I wanted to see about getting AP or FL resident discounts. When you first call in they ask you all the questions on an automated system. You know, name rank serial number confirms phone numbers, email, and home address.  Then you finally get to talk to a live person and what do they need to know right off the bat.  All the same information you just gave their system.  Anyway the very cheerful CM got me booked in a very efficient manor and we said our goodbyes.

Then today (Wednesday) I got a ups next day air letter packet with a one page letter inviting me to participate in the MyMagic+ program. 

First of all.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and this letter came from Celebration, FL.  Everywhere in Florida is a 1 day delivery standard for UPS as well as USPS. So why waste money on next day air express shipment?

then

The letter tells me to register at MyDisneyExprerience.com.  I did that weeks ago when I downloaded the app to my phone and iPad.

Link your reservation.  It already is.

Link your tickets. They already are.

Customize your Magic Bands.   Did that over a week ago.

Select your FastPass+ Experiences.   Did that over a week ago.

Your Magic Bands will be shipped to you in a few days.  Funny, I received them Monday, they were shipped last Thursday 4 days BEFORE this letter was written.

Disney is spending a Billion dollars on this new system. That’s $1,000,000,000, or 1,000 Million and it doesn’t know it already set me Magic Bands 6 days ago or that I have the same resi # they told me to use already in the system.  I’m not holding out a lot of hope that my fastpass+ times will be honored.  

I know this system is just starting and they need to work the bugs out.  But this is really basic stuff.

I am hoping the system works out to be a great thing. I am already a huge fan of being able to get fastpass without having to commando all over the park collecting the passes and then have to come back across the park to use them.

It just amazes me how much information Disney collects and verifies over and over again and then seemingly never uses to speed up the booking process.  

The Magic bands by the way are a lot more substantial that I thought they would be and must cost a lot more than the key to the kingdom plastic cards. I guess they are counting on people to reuse them many times. Good luck with that.

Oh well no point to all this  \ end rant

I have made changes to the fast passes but we are still a few weeks out.  I'm thinking when we are on site there wont be any available.  It would not let me make fastpass at more than 1 park per day.  That part really blows because we park hop a lot.  I am also not sure if we can get other fastpasses as we use the one we already have.  This system will blow the minds of the guest that have a hard time with the current system.

The Magic bands by the way are a lot more substantial that I thought they would be and must cost a lot more than the key to the kingdom plastic cards. I guess they are counting on people to reuse them many times. Good luck with that.

Be careful.  Somewhere in all the information floating around the interwebz I saw something about how your first Magic Band is on them, but if you loose it, there is a substantial cost that you have to pay to replace it. 

I have made changes to the fast passes but we are still a few weeks out.  I'm thinking when we are on site there wont be any available.  It would not let me make fastpass at more than 1 park per day.  That part really blows because we park hop a lot.  I am also not sure if we can get other fastpasses as we use the one we already have.  This system will blow the minds of the guest that have a hard time with the current system.

I think the good news for you is that since this is still just in test mode, you can still get paper Fastpasses on top of the Magic Band FP+.  That will not be the case when the system is fully rolled out, but I understand that for now it is.

I hope you post after your trip and let us know how it all worked (or didn't).

TCD