A one night, one entry report on Oak Mountain Campground

I’ve never posted a “real” camping trip report before, so I thought I’d give y’all a one entry quick report on our one night stay at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, Alabama, right outside Birmingham.  School started last week and I decided we needed a fun pick-me-up for the weekend.  Our oldest DD Danielle was spending the night with friends, but Ray and I were able to take Jodi and her best friend Claire (whom y’all might recognize from my spring break TR) camping Saturday night. 

This was a definite first for Ray and me.  I’ve slept in tents before, even once at FW, but I’ve never been in charge of the whole thing – that’s always someone else’s deal when I’ve done it – so it was definitely a learning experience.  For Ray, he’s never pitched a tent, slept in a tent, even BEEN in a tent, so to call it a first for him understates it tremendously.  But, it was really awesome.  It totally fit the bill on what we were hoping for for the night – relaxation away from the normal stresses of life in a beautiful, calm but fun environment.

Here’s our accommodations for the night, once we got it put up:

camping9_zps441eb163.jpg

This, of course, belongs to my dad – a.k.a. Paw Paw from previous TRs.  I just put a call in to him on Friday afternoon and within an hour he had set us up with a tent and all the supplies we needed for the trip. 

We actually set up the tent Friday afternoon but weren’t able to stay that night.  We made it back out to Oak Mountain around 4:30 Saturday afternoon and happily, the tent was still there!  Since this was such a last minute trip, we had no reservations and the only sites they had that had water and power were RV sites, so we were kind of in the middle of the RV area instead of more in the woods, which Jodi would have definitely preferred.  But, we were relatively close to a bathhouse and for just one night, we knew we could survive most anything. 

Here is Ray, while he was still a little worried about what he had gotten himself into:

camping4_zps95ef230d.jpg

We were staying at site #39 in case you can see it on this map. 

camping6_zps2bcece06.jpg

(Sorry if that's sideways - I couldn't get it fixed)

They are currently repaving all of the area east of the creek shown on the map, so there weren’t nearly as many sites for the choosing available as normal.

After getting air mattresses pumped up, chairs unfolded and a minimal amount of organization, we went exploring.  There is a lake where a couple of families were swimming and fishing.  I forgot to take my camera so I don’t have any pictures, but it looked fun.  There was as much variety in the type campers and equipment as I have seen at FW – everything from people with a tent and nothing else to awesome RVs with outside wide screen TVs, rope lights, etc.  The one thing I didn’t see a single one of, though, was inflatables.  Too bad – I love looping and seeing everyone’s decorations at FW.

Next on the agenda for our quick trip was a fire.  Jodi spent 3 weeks camping over the summer, so she was our expert fire starter. 

camping8_zpsbbf7d3ad.jpg

camping7_zpsce85af25.jpg

They got a great fire going and we were in business.  Dinner consisted of hot dogs (the girls chose “jumbo wieners”, which became their favorite phrase of the night) cooked on sticks they found.  Finding one strong enough to hold a jumbo wiener but not so thick as to bust it was a challenge, but they did it. 

camping_zps63e8a89e.jpg

camping3_zps2f0d5cd5.jpg

I have to say that those jumbo wieners we awesome.  Really and truly awesome.  Who knew that a dog cooked over a fire like that on a stick found on the ground would be so great?  I’m sure all y’all already knew that, but it was really news to Ray and me!  Of course, we had to have s’mores too, which were equally great.

Like I said, Paw Paw set us up with everything we needed for the night, including this awesome “bucket light” he had made:

camping5_zps3f7f9b45.jpg

After supper, we just hung around, listened to a wide variety of songs on Jodi’s playlist – everything from Robin Thicke to Maclemore/Mary Lambert, and others.  We just had a great time hanging in the wide, outside world. 

We eventually all hit the hay.  Ray and I both had a harder time than usual trying to get to sleep, but I know that that will get better with each camping trip.  It’s so different sleeping outside – lots of wonderful noises, fresh air, wind rustling through leaves, etc.  We eventually went to sleep, and once I did, I slept like the dead.  It was great.  Even though the tent lit up when the sky did in the morning, we all slept till almost 8:00, which is a good 2 hours later than I usually sleep, which was awesome. 

Overall, the trip was incredible and not nearly long enough.  We’re definitely going to do that more.  We’ll plan ahead next time so we can get a better site and make sure that Danielle will be able to be with us too.

One thing I learned is that Jodi (and this applies to Danielle too) is an excellent camper.  She and Danielle both want to go “real” camping next time.  This apparently means at a minimum, getting a site with no power or water.  At best (in their eyes) is going into the back country, which apparently involves hiking for hours with everything we want on our backs and really roughing it.  They’re going to have to let me ease into that, but it seems like something that is a good goal for us!

Anyway, there’s your report for the week of Oak Mountain!  Hope everyone on FF is doing great – I’ve missed y’all! 

Leslie

I have been wanting to go to this campground.

My son has had his spring football game at John Carroll these past two years and Oak Mountain would be close enough to the school. Unfortunately it always seems to be scheduled right before exam week.

One day though we will get to the campground.

Great report Leslie. Ray looks thrilled as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs lol. I see this "where is my Bay Lake Tower" accommodations look in his eyes. Can't wait to see the hiking pics. Hot dogs on an open fire are great. No grill can cook a dog like an open fire can.

Hey Donnie!  Hope all is well with you!  Yes, Ray was looking a little discontented there, but he relaxed after drinking a good bit of wine the girls got the fire started. 

I do hope to have another camping trip to report on soon.  We had a great time!

Any chance anyone is going to be around the Fort on Thanksgiving night?  We have ADRs at Trail's End!  I'd love to see any Fiends!

Leslie

Hey Donnie!  Hope all is well with you!  Yes, Ray was looking a little discontented there, but he relaxed after drinking a good bit of wine the girls got the fire started. 

I do hope to have another camping trip to report on soon.  We had a great time!

Any chance anyone is going to be around the Fort on Thanksgiving night?  We have ADRs at Trail's End!  I'd love to see any Fiends!

Leslie

We are there that week. :D