Lancaster, PA GG

Once again, I am attempting a trip report, and maybeeeeeeeee I will finish it. Or maybe Jason and I can join forces and between the 2 of us, we could actually finish one? No promises!

This may have been the smallest fiend camping grand gathering, there was only 8 of us and 1 Jedi. It may have been small, but I think I can speak for all of us, we had a great time. Even though we were small in numbers we were still really loud :)

Discussion of a fall fiend gathering started way back in March during Easter at Gettysburg. Original plans were to stay in Hershey but because we waited, there wasn't enough sites left, so we ended up at Circle M in Lancaster. Circle M was a great campground and I am glad we were able to go there.

Brian was able to take off Friday, so we left around 10:30. My mom (AdamsMimiJane) was joining us for her first fiend camping trip and was very excited. Brian loaded the car, lunches were made and we were ready to go. I didn't take any pictures of the drive, we went through Philly and then took the turnpike. Unfortunately, while on the turnpike, nature called, we saw a sign about a rest area and it said fuel only...... Next rest area 59 MILES! Seriously, not cool when you are pregnant!! Some speed limits may have been exceeded until we got to Chocolate World. Did you ever notice when you gotta go, everything and I mean everything seems funny? Well, that happened. I don't even know what was so funny, but it got to the point Brian and I just stopped talking or I was going to die.

Adam enjoys Chocolate World and my mom hasn't been there in forever, so that is why we went. Plus, the bonus of going Friday morning on the way up, was Hershey Park was closed, which kept us from having a little someone bug about going. We got to Chocolate World, ran in, used the bathroom and came back out and ate our lunch. No pood forn, it was just sandwiches and stuff.

After lunch, we finally went back in for the tour. I didn't take any pictures of the ride because last time they didn't turn out too good, so I didn't bother.

1377247_10153330326550456_1215073306_n.j

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The broccoli was delicious (would have been even better with butter). The cabin was stocked better (dishes and such) than a beach house we rented 2years ago and spent a lot more money for.

When we got off the tour, they give you a free sample of some form of Hershey's candy. Thankfully, they are also thoughtful and aware of peanut/tree nut allergies and always have a stash of twizzlers for people who can't eat the normal sample. Adam was thrilled, as was the rest of the family for their Twizzlers, and I got to watch them eat :)

We looked around the gift shops and food court (which I didn't realize was so large) and Mom and I both bought Christmas ornaments, and Adam did 2 pressed pennies. He then saw the pack your own Hershey Kiss factory experience and remembered he did it last time, which meant he wanted to do it again. They are genius, the "experience" is free and but if you want to buy what you packed it is $7.95 or $9.95 if you want your picture on the front.

1374794_10153330326910456_98130313_n.jpg

Waiting for his turn

1375767_10153330326580456_2113998949_n.j

Filling his container (you could choose blue or brown)

1382326_10153330326915456_1428495637_n.j

The "factory worker" has the kids do all sorts of stuff to settle their kisses in the container, he was good with Adam and he really seemed to enjoy the shaking, jumping, dancing, etc.

1385541_10153330333945456_216657000_n.jp

They put the container they fill on the conveyor belt and magically a nicer, sealed one comes out the other end. Then you have to either buy it or put it in a bin. I am sure it's tons of fun to tell your kid, nope, toss it in the bin but lucky for Adam, he has suckers for parents and grandparents so his container was bought. Afterwards we rode the ride again, hey it's free and we all enjoy it, so why not?

After that we left and were heading to Lancaster. The ride wasn't bad, or that long but we ended up going through downtown Lancaster, that was um, interesting... Thanks to my amazing navigational skills, we missed a turn but it wasn't a big deal and we were able to just go up to the next street. Check in was easy and we were given our key, and gate card and a map to our cabin (no tent this time, I wasn't dealing with bathhouses pregnant and Mimi wouldn't come unless we had a cabin).

1378138_10153330334665456_1180667881_n.j

The blue sofa was a futon

540717_10153330334790456_1943663872_n.jp

Bunk room

1379846_10153330334800456_347660816_n.jp

Bunks in the hall

1377396_10153330334870456_982667395_n.jp

Bedroom

1395880_10153330335005456_586706458_n.jp

Bathroom (had 2 doors and none of them locked!)

1383824_10153330335070456_1747037072_n.j

Clearly you and I are talking about two different parts lol. There was no beauty in the part of town we went through!

Great start!  I like Lancaster, but it's been years since we've been there and maybe it's changed.

I've been there in the past 18 months.  Stayed at the Marriott downtown and the area around there was very Colonial looking.  However, I did drive through some ugly areas on my way to the prospective client's office. 

Circle M had some crappy reviews and I'm not sure why. Sure, stuff could have used some sprucing up but nothing insane. So I'm not sure what that is all about. Cable was $4 a day but we didn't bother with it, I don't have a picture of the tv but I'm pretty sure my iPad is bigger than the tv was. I thought the cabin was decently stocked with plates, cups, silver wear, even some pots, glass cookware etc.

Brian unloaded all of our stuff while Mimi and I unpacked. The cabin next to us had 2 kids so Adam was playing with them. Shortly after Dblr and his wife came by for a visit.had a nice visit with Rennie and Beth and then we finished unpacking and making bed, etc. the people next to us had went to The Green Dragon farm market in Ephrata and had bought some broccoli for a $1 the thing was massive, they offered us some since it was way more than they could eat (this is why I love camping people, so friendly!) she also showed me some ham steaks she bought and they looked amazing. Next trip out this way I want to stop here. They bought some other stuff and only spent about $15. I boiled the broccoli for dinner and it was easily thr best broccoli we have ever had!

The broccoli was delicious (would have been even better with butter). The cabin was stocked better (dishes and such) than a beach house we rented 2years ago and spent a lot more money for.

Forgive me mother for forgetting butter and salt that I never expected to use :)

LOL!  I love family spats. 

Hey, this is my 4th post on page one.  Who says I'm off my game?? 

Sometime before dinner Brian took Adam out for a bike ride and they found where Rennie's site was and the verdict was I would not want to walk to it (nor would Brian want to drag 4 chairs).

After dinner we headed to Rennie's site to sit around the campfire and do what fiends do best, run our mouths :) Since Brian had been there earlier he knew how to get there, or so we thought. Circle M is very hard to navagiate in the dark and there are hardly any signs. So we had a lovely tour of the campsites, some of the loops multiple times. I was surprised at the lack of fires going at 8pm. We finally found his site, and thankfully it was on the larger side so there was room for us to park the van.

Adam "roasted" (which means hardly got them warm) pumpkin shaped marshmallows, I FB stalked Jason to see where he was and when him and Sil would be getting there, Adam played air hockey on my phone with Rennie, the smoke chased me around the fire, etc your typical stuff. My rocking chair camp chair rocks! It's super heavy but I love it.

C9AAB296-8F48-41B2-9743-F6857A1F5FB3-143

This is the only picture I have from that night and Adam took it.

671FE182-13CC-4FFF-A7B2-B5460BE7D853-544

Around 9:45 Brian took Adam back to the cabin to go to bed, around 10:15 I get a text from Brian saying the heat won't turn on. The ironic thing is earlier Rennie asked if we tested it and we said nahhh. Whoops. Thankfully Rennie was more prepared than us and had a ceramic heater we could borrow. So Mimi and I said good night and headed back to the cabin (it's really more of a trailer, kind of reminded me of a FEMA trailer) with the heater. Brian had turned the oven on to try and warm it up in there. Thankfully the heater we borrowed was really powerful for how small it was and it was fine for the night.