Looking for a quiet premium loop

Hello all, long time lurker, new poster. My family is taking our first camping trip to the fort at the end of May, so I am looking at sites. We are in a 5th Wheel w/slide, 30 ft, and would like a quiet loop. We are staying in a premium loop and don't mind riding bikes around. From looking online (and fiend app!) it looks like the 800 or 900 loop would fit our needs. Am I thinking correctly? Thanks for all your advice!

Hi Tim! The folks who can answer your question will be along soon. Lots of them are at The Fort this weekend. In the mean time, stop by the "Please introduce yourself" forum and tell us about yourself

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/199-please-introduce-yourself/page-182#entry329183

First of all welcome. Depending on what site you get on 800/900 you could still end up with a site that backs up to the road and in the 800 you could get a site that is next to a sidewalk going to the comfort station. There are sites in just about every premium loop that isolates you from most of the "hustle and bustle" so the biggest factor is not so much "what loop", but "what site" and most of all who you have for neighbors.

If only you could share the secret of how to win at football again! Thank you for the replies, it seems that we need to look for certain sites for peace and quiet. Does anybody have any specific premium sites you could recommend for when we fax in a request ahead of time? Thanks again for all the advice.

In our years at the Fort we have not had a BAD site regarding noise. Of course sites that are adjacent to a road will have more noise than sites that back up to canals or woods.  As mentioned above, it might matter more who is camping around you.  And you should have 2-3 site in mind when you make your request...remembering it is just a request.

As for football, get a Malzahn and equivalent staff.  Get some good players who buy into the system.  Get some good conditioning.  Throw in some miracles...think AU-UGA 2013 and AU-UA 2013.  Works evey time.   :jumpforjoy

In our years at the Fort we have not had a BAD site regarding noise. Of course sites that are adjacent to a road will have more noise than sites that back up to canals or woods.  As mentioned above, it might matter more who is camping around you.  And you should have 2-3 site in mind when you make your request...remembering it is just a request.

I agree with Ken.

As far as premium loops go, there really isn't a difference from loop to loop regarding noise.  There are sites on the 900 loop that I wouldn't consider to be quiet.  The back of the 800 loop is usually quiet, but the 800 loop also seems to be a favorite of the weekend warriors, and definitely around certain holidays, it is busier and noisier than other premium loops.

VolfanTim- in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, you mentioned you had a couple of kids.  Wouldn't you rather be near the pool or a playground?  Are your kids going to want to ride bikes around the loop?  If I had to pick the least busy loop, I would pick the 1100 loop.  But that is also where a lot of long term campers seem to congregate.  That wouldn't necessarily be the best loop for a family with a couple of kids along.  If you want a loop with little traffic so your kids can safely ride their bikes, I agree with GDF-Kelly- look at the inner loop of the 1400 loop.

If we were talking other loop levels- the 200 loop is probably the quietest preferred loop (unless you get the site next to the basketball court), and the 1800/1900 loops are the quietest full hook-up loops.  For the partial loops, 1500 is usually quieter than the 2000 loop, but again, it depends on who else is camping there.  I've seen big. loud obnoxious groups on the 1500 loop, or next door on the 1600 loop which would have made the 2000 loop quieter for that particular stay.

TCD

First thanks for all the advice! TCD, my guess is we will be going full speed in the parks and will only be at the Fort in the evening, so I don't know if being close to the pool is super important or not. They ride bikes and will enjoy getting to ride to places around the Fort. So I guess the moral of this story is just relax and request a few different sites. Can I ask for some specific sites from the experts. We are arriving the Wed after Memorial Day and staying for a week. I am a little nervous having never pulled more than 4 hours away from home, but hey it should be great! Ken, Auburn struck gold with their coach, hope Jones can turn UT around! Thanks again

First thanks for all the advice! TCD, my guess is we will be going full speed in the parks and will only be at the Fort in the evening, so I don't know if being close to the pool is super important or not. They ride bikes and will enjoy getting to ride to places around the Fort. So I guess the moral of this story is just relax and request a few different sites. Can I ask for some specific sites from the experts. We are arriving the Wed after Memorial Day and staying for a week. I am a little nervous having never pulled more than 4 hours away from home, but hey it should be great! Ken, Auburn struck gold with their coach, hope Jones can turn UT around! Thanks again

The good news is that you're arriving right as the Fort will be clearing out from a very busy holiday weekend- so that should give you lots of options.

As far as asking for recommendations for specific sites, I'm not sure you will get many.  There are 430 premium sites at the Fort, and people like different ones for different reasons. A family with a dog might like the 500 loop for its proximity to the dog park.  A family with kids who love to swim might like the 1400 loop.  Folks who have their own golf cart and no pets might love the 1200 loop because it's more remote from the pool. A family with a bunch of teens might want a site next to a comfort station so the kids can shower there.  Campers who don't have a golf cart might like a site next to a bus stop.  A camper who likes to fish might like one of the sites that backs up to the fishing hole.  Some people love the 400 loop because it's easy to get to the Settlement area from there- others don't care about that.  I once asked for a site near a basketball court because my kids loved shooting hoops at the time.  I subsequently regretted having to listen to the ball bounce all day long.

Since you've never camped a the Fort, your best bet is to pick a loop or two that you think you'll like and ask for any site on those loops.  After you've been to the Fort, you'll see what your family likes best.

The other good news is that any site at the Fort is still a great site.

TCD

Another bit of advice, plan a Fort day in the middle of your stay. The playgrounds are awesome. The pool and splash area are nice. It gives everyone a chance to recharge too. Despite some of our complaining on this board, the Fort is truly an amazing and unique campground. Take some time to enjoy it.

• 3 months later...

Hello Fiends, The family is counting down the days at this point (24) and getting very excited. We even have our fast passes for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! After much studying of the map and previous threads we are thinking the 500 loop is best for us. Any advice for specific sites to request in a couple of weeks? Thanks in advance!

IMHO going to the fort for 6 years now and every time we went we seldom visited the parks until now that we are AP holders. As stated in another post, I actually miss the days of just hanging at the fort for a long weekend or an entire week. There is so much to do at the fort it's like a vacation in itself. If we were at he parks from sun up to sun down I couldn't see paying the fort prices for a campsite. Yes the proximity to the parks is great and there is no need to worry about transportation but camping is half the fun. You need to try like TCD said and spend a full day with no parks at the fort and explore all it has to offer

• 2 weeks later...