It's expensive to eat out all the time.  I don't mind cooking, but I like easy meals when we're camping (especially easy clean-up).  When you're camping, what's your typical menu like? 

Not that we've camped for a long time, BUT ... Crock Pot Roast; Hamburgers, hotdogs or steaks on the grill; Freeze on of your family's favorite 'One Pot' items (Chili, Spaghetti Sauce, Lasagna [pre-baked in an aluminum pan]; etc, and take them out and heat them up.  You get the idea - simple; minimal mess ...

Spaghetti and meat sauce, or home made vegetable-beef soup in the crock pot,. or grilled burgers or steak and a baked potato.  We used to get salads from TE, but they stopped that last year.  Sauerkraut with country cut pork ribs in the crock pot.  I guess we eat out more if it's just us, but cook in more if we have guests.  TE pizza  or  Meadows Southern Smothered.

One stand-by my children look forward to when we travel is Fritos and beans.  Before we leave, i make a big pot of beans in my crockpot. (recipe below).  I freeze them in one meal portions (that is, enough for the eight of us to have a meal using them - usually one Gladware container saved from buyingg Hillshire Farms deli meats.  :rofl2: ).

Anyway, when we travel, I throw a Gladware container of beans in the cooler.  A few days later, when they are thawed, we served them in snack-sized bags of Fritos with cheese on top.  Servve a piece of fruit for dessert so you can feel they got something nutricious.  :rofl2:

Other than that, cold BLT's are nice and quick using pre-cooked bacon.  Hot dogs are nice because you can cook them on sticks or long forks at the campfire. 

Oh, here is how I cook dried beans in my crockpot without pre-soaking.

Combine the following in a 6 qt. crock pot (if your crockpot is smaller, reduce the recipe):

3 pounds of dried beans - I use 2 lbs. black beans and 1 lb. pinto

1 tsp. cumin

3 TBS kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

3 TBS olive oil

6 TBS minced, dried onion

Water to within 1 inch of the top of the crock

Set to cook on low. Cook for 8-10 hours, adding water as necessary.

You got a special recipe for the beef tips and rice?

It's fairly simple.

Starting in the morning, put the beef tips in the pot, someimes I will add a large can of cream of mushroom soup, then fill the pot about 3/4 full of water, add salt, pepper, onion (or onion powder) a little garlic powder. Turn on high & let it cook all day. Just before dinner, I remove the meat, thicken the broth using the old flour/water mixture. I usually use a handmixer while I am adding the flour/water mixture to the pot to keep it from clumping. I will taste test it to see if I need to add any more seasonings to it. If the gravy looks a little too light, I may add a little Kitchen Bouquet to it.

When the gravy is right, dump the beef tips back in.

This is not a make before & freeze type thing. The beef tips are so tender, they will fall apart if stirred too much when re-heating.

When we do our spaghetti sauce in a crock pot, we just fill the pot as much as needed with our favorite spaghetti sauce, then cut up some uncooked Italian sausage & add to the pot & cook on high for the day. After it has simmered all day, the sausage will be very tender, but you will need to skim the greese from the surface of the sauce cooked from the sausage before serving.

If you prefer meatballs, the same can be done using those premade ones you can by from the store. Just let them cook/simmer in the sauce.

We are from the Phila. Pa area so  we do cheesesteaks with fried onions and peppers, If it's  a long trip we might even use the same fixins and instead make mountain pies at the campfire.

We also do the suace and meatballs and sausage in the crockpot.

Smoker- ribs chicken and even a turkey.  Deep fries turkey also.

Winter time beef stew in a crockpot or chicken & dumplings.

We do tacos, beef and chicken make and freeze the meat before and then put it in the crock pot to thaw. I also make enchiladas ahead of time and after they are cooked I portion them out into microwave containers freeze and voila dinner is served.

Plus the usual hot dogs, hamburgers and the stuff for BLT's

I have an easy tortilla soup that only takes minutes to throw together too :rofl2:

Boy looking at what I like to eat you would never guess I am a French- Irish girl would you :siren:

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :banana:

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Wrap, cook for about 6 hours for a medium size potato, top with the fixin's enjoy!

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :)

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Wrap, cook for about 6 hours for a medium size potato, top with the fixin's enjoy!

That sounds great I love baked potatoes, definitely something I will try :banana:

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :banana:

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

This is also gerat for an easy summer meal when it is too hot to heat up the oven.

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :rofl2:

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Are you freakin kidding me?:rofl2:

Baked potatoes in the crock pot??  You have just opened up a whole new world for me.  :banana:

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :)

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Are you freakin kidding me?:)

Baked potatoes in the crock pot??  You have just opened up a whole new world for me.  :siren:

I'm here to serve  :)

Do you think this only works if you keep them in a single layer? My DS eats 3 or 4 potatoes alone, so I need to make more than this, but would love to do it in the slow cooker.

I usually  throw 6 in at a time depending upon the size of the tater, and no I dont think stacking them affects the cooking process, I usually  just  toss them in there

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :partythree:

SSHHHH!!!    :bday:  You figured out my reason for starting this thread.  Don't blow my cover!!

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :rofl2:

SSHHHH!!!    :dance:  You figured out my reason for starting this thread.  Don't blow my cover!!

Yeah!!  But I actually live close enough to do it. evilgrin0025.gif

A quick dinner for us is to marinate some chicken tenders (or pork chops if you desire) in Italian dressing and then grill them. The dressing does a great job tenderizing them. We serve it with either a box of Stove top, or cook up a package of Lipton creamy chicken noodles. We will usually slice a  few cucumbers or add a vegetable to round out the meal.