Okay... so we brought the camper home yesterday and while Tom was backing into our driveway, I was out of the truck trying to "help" him with backing it in.  While doing so, I could hear this noise (that originally I thought was coming from our truck).  I was able to get close enough and realized that it sounded like the tires (or maybe the axel??) was groaning.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  It was this low, loud, hum.

Thoughts???

Is it a tandem axle? I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but the trailer cannot pivot on the four wheels of a tandem. So, one of the wheels on each side may drag a little in turns while backing up. Thus causing a dragging and pop/creaking noise. That is what I see on mine, especially when backing in our driveway with sprayed concrete (catches the wheel easily).

As I said, I could very easily be wrong. I am repacking my bearings Thursday morning so I will see if there is something the matter on mine or if it is just too hard to pivot on the tandem.

Those double axle trailers will creak and groan something awful when they back up. If you watch the tires, they will flex like crazy.

Those double axle trailers will creak and groan something awful when they back up. If you watch the tires, they will flex like crazy.

Thanks for assuring me in that. I really noticed the flex the last couple of times I backed it in our driveway. Worried me at first but then considered the tandem and figured it couldn't pivot on both wheels so it must be normal.

Thanks.  Our trailer does have a double axle, he was backing up and... our driveway has a pretty steep incline.  

All normal sounds, it's funny, between the axle noises and the Weight Distribution Hitch groaning and popping, you can't miss a travel trailer coming in a campground! We had a small pop up for years and towed it with a mini van so no WDH or anything, so no noise, well the first time we took our new to us Hybrid Travel Trailer out, we felt like everyone in the campground was staring at us and mad that we broke up the silence, we were so careful and slow trying to keep the noise down, now it's all hands on deck as fast as we can to get to relaxing! It's something we all have to deal with and after a while you become a pro at backing up straight and "hitting your marks" in the site, and using your trailer check list to make sure all is good, have fun with it, you can't do anything dumb that we all haven't done, like forgetting to unhook the water hose (you only do that once, trust me)!  Brian

• 2 weeks later...