If your in the area April 29 this should be interesting

Nik Wallenda's stroll atop the Orlando Eye will be broadcast live on NBC's "Today," it was announced Tuesday.

Wallenda, who has a history of high-wire daredevil feats, will attempt to walk along the rim of the 400-foot observation wheel while it's in motion on April 29, squarely in the sweeps period for network television. The International Drive attraction officially opens May 4.

The 36-year-old Wallenda has completed dramatic feats above the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls and between two Chicago skyscrapers. But the Orlando Eye attempt will have two new obstacles, he said on "Today." He will be unable to use a balancing pole, and he will be at the mercy of the pace of the rotating wheel. Previously, he has been able to vary his pace.

He will ride one of the wheel's capsules to the top and then climb down a ladder to the rim.

He will try to stay near the apex of the wheel, he said. Wallenda, a native of Sarasota, will be untethered during the attempt, he said.

Thanks for that info, Mark.

That dude is crazy.  Here I am wondering if I can handle riding in one of those cars, and this dude is going to get out of his car at the top and walk around the rim with no tether or balancing pole?

TCD

This is the craziest part...

and he will be at the mercy of the pace of the rotating wheel. Previously, he has been able to vary his pace.

He may end up jogging on the edge

Here's an article from one of the local TV stations

Hundreds turn out to see Orlando Eye turn on

Man battling lung disease flipped switch to light up 64,000 LED lights

ORLANDO, Fla. -

Hundreds turned out to see the Orlando Eye turn on Thursday night. It was the culmination of years of planning and weeks of lighting.

"We're really excited," said Robin Goodchild, general manager for the Orlando Eye. "Tonight we're turning on the lights for the first time."

Quick Clicks

Glow sticks were handed out by Merlin Entertainment employees as they walked into the courtyard for the lightning ceremony.

"We've been waiting for this for years," one employee said. "I can't believe it's finally going to happen."

Zach Miller, a young man battling a life-threatening lung disease, was the honorary guest to flip the switch and light up the 64,000 LED lights on the wheel.

"I'm so excited," Miller said.

"I couldn't believe they are giving him the opportunity to do this," Miller's dad said. "He's very excited."

A 10-second countdown later, Miller flipped the switch, but nothing seemed to come on.

"I thought I broke it," Miller said.

To his relief, he hadn't. The Eye began rotating slowly and as it did, the lights lit up on the wheel at the same speed, taking nearly 20 minutes to completely illuminate.

"It built up the anticipation," one Merlin employee said. "One little piece at a time, didn't expect that."

The Eye stayed lit up until late in the evening. Then as slowly as they turned on, they turned back off. Eye officials said they will light up once again as May nears and the Eye opens to the public

I was curious about the fascination with giant wheels in the world over the past decade or so, and was wondering what the biggest ones are in the US, and whether the Orlando one will be the biggest at 400' tall.  I had no idea that there is one in Vegas that is 550' tall....or that they are planning an even bigger one in NYC that will be 630 feet tall!!  

And to think....I didn't even like the little ferris wheels at the local carnival when I was a kid.  

http://experience.usatoday.com/america/story/theme-parks/2015/04/03/five-tallest-observation-wheels-in-the-usa/25246313/ 

• 5 months later...

From OTPN...

The Orlando Eye will have Florida residents walking on sunshine with special rates to ride on the 400-foot observation wheel. Starting from today, residents can purchase flights on the Eye for $18 ($13 for children between the ages of 3-12) with proof of residency. This special offer will save visitors more than 25 percent off regular admission. For a limited time, tickets may be purchased at OfficialOrlandoEye.com or at the attraction’s admissions desk.

This offer is valid for Florida residents, with valid proof of residency, such as a state-issued ID, utilities or cable bill, bank statement, library card, or recent paystub. Restrictions may apply. Prices and hours subject to change without notice. Attraction admission is not guaranteed and subject to availability. The offer is not valid for premium products (Orlando Eye Flex ticket, VIP Experience or Private capsules). This offer cannot be combined with any other offers or packages.

For additional information about this offer or any other ticket packages, visit OfficialOrlandoEye.com.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/09/the-orlando-eye-offering-special.html