Need some info and pretty much every one here has more experience than I do. 

I know states like New York have some restrictions on their roadways for Tractor Trailers and things like that. 

Going from CT to FL  we will mostly be on 95 but I am not super keen on the idea of going 95 through new york. If I go by the Tappan Zee bridge can I get on the Garden state down to 95 or is towing not allowed on that road? 

Also if you know of any other restrictions on the 95 corridor feel free to chime in. I am trying to figure out a route for June so I can possibly figure out a solution for our may trip to TN as well. 

Thanks for the input!

Found this... " posted 05-09-2008 10:14 PM ET (US)     Profile for Ridge Runner  Send Email to Ridge Runner      There is no limit on trailer towing on the GSP, as long as you meet the following restrictions: Commercial trucks with a registered weight of over 7,000 pounds (3.18 tons) are not allowed to use the northern parts of the Parkway. All trucks must exit at Exit 105, just past the Asbury Park Toll Station. From Tinton Falls to the southern end of the Parkway at Cape May, trucks are allowed, but must pay additional tolls. The "truck" ban includes all vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (the vehicle's maximum fully-loaded weight including fuel, passengers and cargo), which encompasses dozens of large passenger vehicles, such as the Chevy Suburban, which can weigh in at 8,500 pounds, though in practice police do not ticket such vehicles."

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016100.html

When we had our hybrid we used to go this way (Garden State to 95 below NYC).  We stopped doing it with this camper as some of those arched overpasses are pretty low in the right hand lane and we didn't want to take a chance, but given the mess we encountered on the GWB last fall...

Of course now we have an Excursion which probably exceeds the weight restriction.

Also found this...

New Jersey Road Laws

Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8' (8'6" on certain federal highway systems); Trailer length, 40'; Motorhome length, 40'; Combined length, 50'. Triple towing in not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch, flares or reflective signs. Weight of trailer requiring brakes 3,000 pounds.

Passengers may ride in fifth wheels or pickup campers, but not in travel trailers. Wipers/Lights on in weather conditions that require them. Overnight parking is "as posted" in state rest areas.

On the New Jersey Garden State Parkway there is a 55' maximum length. For the New Jersey Turnpike or other roads call 908-247-0900 for specific towing regulations.

LP Gas prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, the lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Between Manhattan and Weehawken in the Lincoln Tunnel.

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

It would be a bit longer, but could you take 84 all the way to 81 and avoid the whole east coast fiasco?  I think it adds about 100 miles...so might not be worth it. 

We did that 2 years ago, as we were heading south right after Sandy and there were still lots of reports of long lines for gas.

84 to the NY/PA border is a very good road.  From there to Scranton was like a series of potholes connected by other, bigger potholes.  Just awful.  I mean seriously horrendous.

it was bad.

After the Tappen Zee stay on 287( I think) south all the way to the NJ turnpike this puts you on around exit 10, then just head south to De. We take 301 thru De and Md. all the way into Va. then follow signs to 95 and it puts you on 95 one exit before Kings Dominion.

After the Tappen Zee stay on 287( I think) south all the way to the NJ turnpike this puts you on around exit 10, then just head south to De. We take 301 thru De and Md. all the way into Va. then follow signs to 95 and it puts you on 95 one exit before Kings Dominion.

I will have to look at this on the map Rennie. Thanks!

Ok this is probably a dumb question. But here goes anyways...

What the heck do you do with your propane tanks since your not allowed to have them in tunnel, etc?

Leave them at home?

Or can you have them with you if there empty?

Do you have to go around the tunnel, etc?

Every RV, TT, or 5er has them.

On the GWB you have to take the upper level.

In Baltimore you have to take 695 which goes around the tunnels to the East and West (about the same distance either way).

Correct.  

And the one (and only) time I drove our motorhome over the GW bridge I only felt like we were going to blow over.  In reality, I'm sure we weren't leaning more than 30%.  That upper level isn't fun.  

The tunnel thing is weird, in the Balt Md. area as some have said you have to go around, but in Pa on the turnpike you can go thru all the tunnels, in Va. at the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel and the tunnels around Hampton you have to stop and they check to see if your propane bottles are turned off. It seems everywhere handles it different

And the one (and only) time I drove our motorhome over the GW bridge I only felt like we were going to blow over.  In reality, I'm sure we weren't leaning more than 30%.  That upper level isn't fun.  

These days there's so much construction that you're pretty much crawling across so the wind isn't a huge deal.  Besides, you can just hunker down in the massive potholes if the wind picks up.

Now the Key Bridge in Maryland is another story.

key.jpg

That's the eastern 695 loop around Baltimore and we only go that way if I'm driving and DH is asleep.  If it's even a bit breezy up there, you're going to feel it.

The tunnel thing is weird, in the Balt Md. area as some have said you have to go around, but in Pa on the turnpike you can go thru all the tunnels, in Va. at the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel and the tunnels around Hampton you have to stop and they check to see if your propane bottles are turned off. It seems everywhere handles it different

I've always been amazed that it's not a bigger deal for the the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel and the tunnels.  Last time we towed through there they just asked us at the toll plaza if the propane was off - no one bothered to check.

The Baltimore tunnel restriction goes way back.  We took a familiy trip in a MH back in '79 and it was in effect then.  I know because my dad didn't, and when we got to the toll booth for the tunnel and they made us turn around and go all the way back to 695.

I was riding shotgun that trip and learned some new words from my dad that day.   8)