So, many of you fiends have been along for our journey and several of you have offered some great advise.  Once again, I need help.

After a lot of searching, we finally decided on (and found) a hybrid trailer for our family.  We purchased one from a private owner here in Atlanta and, all in all, it appears to be in decent shape.  The one thing we knew that we would need to do, was to replace the front/larger pop-out bed.  I was able to track down the manufacturer who made the original product (Top Stitch) and was advised that I needed to remove the old pop-out, mail it to them and they would send us a new one with instructions and materials needed.  I was told that in order to remove the pop-out, we would need to unscrew the top portion and that the others sides should be secured by velcro.  Well... the top was screwed in and we were able to get those out, but the sides were secured together by this very sticky "tape"?  Kind-of like a gooey/glue caulk-tape??  Anyway...called the gal at Top Stitch and she said okay, they would include the velcro that we'd need to secure the sides.

Flash forward to today and the packages arrives, I open it up to find no materials and no pre-cut holes in the pop-out (for the screws).  Called Top Stitch and the rep says, "oh, the holes would be been done at the factory when they made the trailer.  We don't put the holes in the tent".  Okay.  Then I asked her about the velcro and she says that she thought I meant the bottom piece (that wraps under the actual platform for the bed) and that we would have to find a way to secure the sides.

Seriously??

I called a local RV place and asked how much they would charge to install the product.  They could not give me a true price without seeing the camper, he said a rough estimate would be $400-$600.

Seriously??

So... I want to cry.  My husband, bless his heart, is "okay" handy.  I'm right there along side him.  I am super nervous about the idea of us trying to put holes in this new canvass (that cost us $700) and I have no idea how to secure the sides.  I mean...where do you finds super glue strength "caulk-tape"?

We leave for the Fort is just about 2 weeks....I am at a loss.

If you line the canvas up with the old holes use an ice pick to penetrate the canvas and then put the screw in. Here may be a tape that will work for the sides or you can call them to see if there is something better.

http://www.uline.com/BL_6569/3M-9443NP-Double-Sided-Film-Tape

If you line the canvas up with the old holes use an ice pick to penetrate the canvas and then put the screw in. Here may be a tape that will work for the sides or you can call them to see if there is something better.

http://www.uline.com/BL_6569/3M-9443NP-Double-Sided-Film-Tape

Thank you.  Both are really great suggestions.  I spoke to another RV dealer, whose parts department suggested velcro (guess they make an industrial strength) to hold the sides.  You don't have to undue the sides when you set up or tear down, so that be an option.  I also have an email into 3M asking them which of their products might be the best fit.

I feel so foolish... to think, that I tought, once I found the truck and the trailer that the "hard part" would be past us.  Heck, now I need to figure out how to make everything work, get the commode to stop smelling and see if we can install this pop-out.  

Then again, I feel horrible complaining about such a blessing.  I mean really... I'm frustrated over having to figure out, how to work/take care of our camper!  Although, honestly...it's not really frustrated, so much as overwhelmed.  Just didn't realize there would be such a big learning curve.  Guess I just figured we could "hook it up" and go :)   Silly me.

Thanks again for the suggestions and oh.... have a great time in Panama! :)

I'm not a RV expert but my mom worked and owned her own upholstery business for many years. I just wanted to add to what Grumpy and Grandma said. Canvas is a strong durable material but I would think about adding grommets to the wholes you punch in the canvas. Without grommets the canvas might tear easier. Just my two cents.

Also I'm sorry your having to deal with this situation.

I'm not a RV expert but my mom worked and owned her own upholstery business for many years. I just wanted to add to what Grumpy and Grandma said. Canvas is a strong durable material but I would think about adding grommets to the wholes you punch in the canvas. Without grommets the canvas might tear easier. Just my two cents.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Welcome to the world of RVing. The fun never ends. It seems like there's always something to fix or replace. 

If you can go to an RV dealer near your home who sells hybrids, look at a few of the hybrids to see how the sides are secured. If they use Velcro or some other hook and loop type fastener, then you can buy industrial strength Velcro from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industrial-Strength-Sticky-Back-Fasteners/dp/B00006RSP1#  

Good luck with your repairs.

Jason thinks he can help you. I'm hoping you're close to us and we can figure it out around his semi-crazy work schedule. If so, it will cost you some Crown or Stella. 

Thank you!  We're going to try and tackle this, over the next couple of days...I'll PM you if we cannot figure it out.  I feel stronger (and less like crying) this morning.  Guess we need to learn how to do this stuff...right?  My parents live in Wa (state), but I can see my daddy shaking his head now.  I grew up with my parents doing everything on their own.  We didn't have the money to hire someone, so you rolled up your sleeves and figured it out.  I think yesterday, I was just "over" the whole thing and darn near ready to just sell the camper... but I'm feeling better this morning.

You fiends are awesome!!

Also I'm sorry your having to deal with this situation.

I was thinking the same thing.

Thank you both!  Good thought.  I'll take a closer look at the product and see what options we have.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Welcome to the world of RVing. The fun never ends. It seems like there's always something to fix or replace. 

If you can go to an RV dealer near your home who sells hybrids, look at a few of the hybrids to see how the sides are secured. If they use Velcro or some other hook and loop type fastener, then you can buy industrial strength Velcro from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industrial-Strength-Sticky-Back-Fasteners/dp/B00006RSP1#

Good luck with your repairs.

Thank you!  I think we'll try that idea :)

That sounds a bit different from how ours is... ours uses a plastic bead to attach to the side of the camper inside (and that is screwed into aluminum channel), and there is a bead on the bottom side of the tent that slides into an aluminum channel which is screwed to the bed board (the part that swings down). On ours the replacement plastic bead you had to line up and then poke holes through for the screws, so I imagine that part is similar.

What's the manufacturer of your hybrid? I have seen some REALLY sticky double sided tape before, so you should be fine. What color was the tape?

If it makes you feel better, we just had our canvas replaced under warranty at the dealership (the plastic bead was splitting on the side that attaches to the camper wall). Seems pretty clear that Jayco just seam ripped the old plastic bead off and sewed a new one back on and sent us the old tents back. I'd have to say the dealer did a crummy job of it. I wish I could have just sent the tenting back to Jayco myself and did the repair, because now we have some nice black marks (like it was dragged across the floor of a dirty garage) all over the insides of our white bunk tents! I'm guessing that's because the dealer thought they were just going to get some brand-new pieces back from Jayco and didn't take care of the old ones. I think a little elbow grease and some detergent is all that's necessary, but I would have preferred if they were more careful. Not only that, they put the bed board channel back incorrectly on one end and I had to fix that myself, and one was put back a little off center. grrr. 

That sounds a bit different from how ours is... ours uses a plastic bead to attach to the side of the camper inside (and that is screwed into aluminum channel), and there is a bead on the bottom side of the tent that slides into an aluminum channel which is screwed to the bed board (the part that swings down). On ours the replacement plastic bead you had to line up and then poke holes through for the screws, so I imagine that part is similar.  That sounds a little like ours, in that there is a plastic piece at the end of the canvass and the top portion does attach by screws and there is an aluminum channel that we use.  The bottom actually snaps into place.

What's the manufacturer of your hybrid? I have seen some REALLY sticky double sided tape before, so you should be fine. What color was the tape?  It's a Trail Cruiser by R-Vision.

If it makes you feel better, we just had our canvas replaced under warranty at the dealership (the plastic bead was splitting on the side that attaches to the camper wall). Seems pretty clear that Jayco just seam ripped the old plastic bead off and sewed a new one back on and sent us the old tents back. I'd have to say the dealer did a crummy job of it. I wish I could have just sent the tenting back to Jayco myself and did the repair, because now we have some nice black marks (like it was dragged across the floor of a dirty garage) all over the insides of our white bunk tents! I'm guessing that's because the dealer thought they were just going to get some brand-new pieces back from Jayco and didn't take care of the old ones. I think a little elbow grease and some detergent is all that's necessary, but I would have preferred if they were more careful. Not only that, they put the bed board channel back incorrectly on one end and I had to fix that myself, and one was put back a little off center. grrr.   Oh, that stinks!  I too am worried that when we go to try and install this...that it won't fit properly, but I'm trying to push that thought from my head :)

How long will you 'all be at the Fort?  Looks like we're arriving, just a few days behind you!