This article is a little old now, and I admit I found it trying to find a photo of someone throwing a cinnamon roll (hi Aaron!), but hey... never let it be said I wasn't a team player.

(even if the team is nuts)

I should really probably put this in the debate forum, as I suspect it may get heated (I know, I know, mmm... heated cinnamon rolls) but... 1-2-3 GO!

Cinnamon Roll Throw-Down: Gaston’s Tavern vs. Main Street Bakery
Nov 25th, 2012 by AJ.

Since the Starbucks at Main Street Bakery announcement a couple of weeks ago, there’s been lots of worry about whether the beloved cinnamon rolls will still be available at Main Street Bakery in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom.

According to the Disney Parks Blog, the only response to this question has been: “…the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland…”. Even if this only refers to the period while the Main Street Bakery will be closed for refurbishment, there’s no mention of whether or not they’ll return to the Main Street Bakery when it re-opens in the Summer of 2013. (Personally, I think they will, but what do I know?)

cinnamonroll-600x200.jpg

Gaston's Tavern VS. Main Street Bakery: Cinnamon Roll Challenge!

SO, we decided to take it upon ourselves to do a little taste test between the two cinnamon rolls to find out if the Gaston’s Tavern version is a worthy substitute for those giant rolls over on Main Street! Here we goooo!

Gaston’s Tavern Cinnamon Roll

According to cast members, these rolls are actually made at the Bakery and transported over to Gaston’s, so they should be largely the same, right? The icing (supposedly a maple version at Gaston’s) is added at the Tavern instead of at the Bakery.

First impression? The Gaston’s Tavern Cinnamon Roll is just as large — if not larger — than the one at Main Street Bakery!

As always, I asked for extra frosting — which isn’t (yet) a common request at Gaston’s. Still, the cast member was kind enough to go back to the kitchen and squeeze a bit more frosting onto the roll. The “extra frosting” thing works differently here than it does at Main Street Bakery, though: At Main Street, the extra frosting is scooped from the bottom of the cinnamon roll pan, which means it’s all warm and cinnamony!

Here at Gaston’s, the extra frosting is just squeezed on from the original frosting bottle, which means it’s room temp…and not cinnamony. Probably an issue due to the rolls being made elsewhere.

Gastons-Tavern-Cinnamon-Roll-600x444.jpg

Gaston's Tavern Cinnamon Roll -- with extra icing

But we looked past that, as the roll seemed to have quite a bit of frosting; even if it wasn’t dripping off the plate like you’ll find at Main Street.

We dug in and found the roll to be a medium level of moistness — not as moist as you’d want it ideally, but fine. This is similar to the moistness of the Main Street Bakery roll. Neither of them have the frosting all the way through the roll (sigh).

GAstons-tavern-cinnamon-roll-inside-600x

Gaston's Tavern Cinnamon Roll Inside

The claims of “maple” flavor with the Gaston’s cinnamon roll didn’t seem to be very relevant. One of the folks I was dining with pointed out a bit of the maple frosting, but overall, the roll didn’t taste too different from what I’ve experienced at the Main Street Bakery.

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll

Over at Main Street Bakery, you can clearly see the overwhelming awesomeness of the “extra frosting” trick

Cinnamon-Roll-500x435.jpg

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll with Extra Icing

While the roll does seem a bit smaller here, that could always be the luck of the draw on my part. I’m not sure a difference in size is a constant truth for the Gaston’s and Main Street Bakery rolls. Either way, no matter where you get them, they’re massive and very difficult to eat by yourself!

cinnamon-roll-cross-section-500x333.jpg

Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll cross section

The flowing extra frosting on the Main Street Bakery roll (remember, this is a special request, and you might not get as generous a cast member as I did here) helped a lot with the moistness level of the inside of the roll. If I had my druthers, I’d have frosting all the way through the roll, so I enjoy the extra here.

Also, you’ve got to give points to Main Street for the “atmosphere” factor. There’s more seating here, it’s situated perfectly on your way into the Magic Kingdom to stop for a quick bite of breakfast, and there’s nothing like sitting on Main Street watching the World go by as you chomp on some cinnamony goodness.

Overall

Overall, the Gaston’s Tavern and Main Street Bakery cinnamon rolls seemed pretty similar to me. I didn’t taste an overwhelming maple flavor at Gaston’s, which makes me think that most folks won’t really be able to tell the flavor differences between the two rolls.

While Gaston’s roll was larger, the Main Street roll had more (and better quality) frosting — which is a point in its favor.

But, honestly, in this case, I think that about 99% of Disney guests will be just as happy with the giant Gaston’s roll as they are with the Main Street roll…the main difference between the two is going to be atmosphere, of course.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/11/25/cinnamon-roll-throw-down-gastons-tavern-vs-main-street-bakery/

Okay, I'll admit I've never had a MSB cinnamon roll.  It's just not something on a low carb diet.

And I know 100% of you will disagree with me.  But I have to add my $.02.

We were part of the AP preview of New Fantasyland on 11/6/12.  Immediately upon entering the area at 9am we went to Gaston's Tavern to get coffee, fruit for me, and a cinnamon roll.

DSCN0549.jpg

That thing was huge.  It could have fed 2-3 people.  At least 6" high on the far side.

It was one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Warm, moist, cinnamony (is there such a word?)  It didn't need extra icing.  It was beyond perfect just the way it was.  I'm not easily impressed by food, but this thing bowled me over.

Maybe it was because we were there at opening ... maybe b/c we were there for the AP preview ... maybe b/c we asked for it to be warm ... I don't know.  All I know is there's no way MSB cinnamon rolls could be better than this particular one.

I've had this discussion with Gwen before.

I would like to point out that she enjoyed her cinnamon roll in November, 2012, which is the same month the nitwit from the Disney Food Blog wrote the article.

I would also like to point out that the blogger said the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's were being made at the bakery.  Maybe that was true then.  But, it's not now.  The bakery is now a Starbucks, and no baking goes on there.

I don't doubt that Gwen loved her cinnamon roll.

But I can tell you that I've been back to Gaston's many, many times. and have purchased quite a few of the cinnamon rolls there since November, 2012, and there is no way that anyone would now say that the two items are comparable.  My girls still like them, even though they are far inferior to the Main Street Cinnamon Rolls.  I won't waste my money on another.  There is nothing more to discuss.

TCD