Two Killed by Tornado in Virginia Campground Today

CAPE CHARLES, Va. — A fierce storm toppled trees and flipped campers Thursday at a Virginia campground Thursday, killing at least two people and injuring at least 20, officials said.

The injured were being taken to hospitals, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police, Corinne Geller, said. Ms. Geller also confirmed the deaths.

The storm slammed into the Cherrystone Family Camping & R.V. Resort, near Cheriton, which sits on 300 acres on Chesapeake Bay in rural Northampton County.

“It came in real quick,” a volunteer firefighter, Brittney Eder, said in a telephone interview. “The sky turned jet black.”

Ms. Geller said people at the campground were being taken by bus to a nearby school for shelter.

My wife was just talking last night about what to do at the Fort if there was severe weather.... high winds, bad lightning, torrential rains, not just a tornado or hurricane.

She was wondering if the Fort has plans for fast moving weather?

We were asked to leave years ago when a hurricane was approaching.  They wanted everyone to go to one of the hotel ballrooms.  We asked if we packed up and left would they refund our unused days which they did.

We drove back to Tampa and hardly had any rain.  Orlando did get hit with high winds and heavy rains.

I imagine most TTs and RVs would be safe in heavy rains etc, but the tenters and PUPs might be another story

I have been at that campground and they are right on a back bay, no protection from the storm plus they are at or below sea level, plus the area where the large campers are is basically wide open. So sorry to hear this people on vacation to get away should not have this to deal with but it is part life, I hope all goes well and sorry for the destruction the storm left