What do I need to know for Star Tours

I know this will come as a surprise to practically no one, but I am taking my six offspring to WDW in 6 weeks.  One of our FP+ is for "Star Tours - The Adventure Continues".  The kids are really excited about this.  They have been Star Wars fans for many years.  (Picture from 2010)

26538_1422860697804_2300399_n.jpg

I know nothing about the ride.  I know people talk about being the Rebel Spy but I actually don't know how one gets to be the rebel spy or why that would matter.  I am figuring there is more tot he ride than just say, a roller coaster, but beyond that i am clueless.

So, what should I know? 

It is not a rollercoaster.

Not really a ride.

It's a simulator.

As you enter, you walk through a queue that is themed like what an airport for space travel would look.

At the end of the queue, a CM will ask how many in your party, and you will be directed to grab 3D glasses and line up in rows.  After a couple of minutes, a door will open for each row, and each row will file in to the simulator.  You will take a seat, and be directed to stow your carryon items under the seat and buckle a safety belt.

Then the doors shut, and a the simulator begins. There are scenes projected on the screen in front, and the whole room you are all seated in will move in synch with what is being shown on the screen.  You are supposed to be in a flying contraption, which is being piloted by C3PO.  One neat thing is that they have multiple different scenes, so you can have a different variation of the ride every time you ride it. The whole time, you're not really going anywhere, the room is just tilting in multiple different directions.

At one point during the "ride," a Star Wars character will pop up and say they are looking for the Rebel Spy, and a grainy photographic image of one person in the simulator will be projected on the screen.  Not a big deal, but still strangely fun.

Then it ends, and you unbuckle your seatbelts, head out, drop off your 3D glasses and exit through a gift shop.

That's about it.

TCD

There are 11 different segments randomly selected to give you 54 possible combinations for this attraction. So you can ride multiple times in a row and have a different experience each time.

I often pop over to studios and ride over and over (there's usually never more than a 15 min wait).

The selection for the rebel spy is completely random, but there are tricks to help increase your chances.

The the flight attendant will step out the door to your right (the doors you will exit out of), sit extremely still facing forward. You will hear a chime. This means the photo has been taken. The attendant will then do the seat belt check. The computer selects the best photos and offers them to the attendant for choosing once they step out and back to the console.

My record for riding is 10 times in a row. After that point my stomach couldn't take anymore and I needed a break.

The selection for the rebel spy is completely random, but there are tricks to help increase your chances.

The the flight attendant will step out the door to your right (the doors you will exit out of), sit extremely still facing forward. You will hear a chime. This means the photo has been taken. The attendant will then do the seat belt check. The computer selects the best photos and offers them to the attendant for choosing once they step out and back to the console.

Another tip: I have never seen a Rebel Spy wearing 3D glasses-so don't put yours on until the CM tells you to.

Twin #2 has been the Rebel Spy many times- way more than anyone else in the TCD gang. Her secret is to get seated and buckled in quickly, and then sit up straight, smile and stare straight ahead. The computer must look for clear photos. People who are fussing with their seatbelts or looking around are not going to make the cut.

My record for riding is 10 times in a row. After that point my stomach couldn't take anymore and I needed a break.

Wow.

You had to exit and walk all the way out and then back through the queue each time, right?

That must have taken a while.

TCD

Another tip: I have never seen a Rebel Spy wearing 3D glasses-so don't put yours on until the CM tells you to.

Twin #2 has been the Rebel Spy many times- way more than anyone else in the TCD gang. Her secret is to get seated and buckled in quickly, and then sit up straight, smile and stare straight ahead. The computer must look for clear photos. People who are fussing with their seatbelts or looking around are not going to make the cut.

Wow.

You had to exit and walk all the way out and then back through the queue each time, right?

That must have taken a while.

TCD

Not really. It was the soft opening and the wait was 2 mins max. We rode 10 times in about 2 hours.

Does anyone know exactly what planet adventures there are in total? These are the ones I have experienced. Am I missing one...or two

1. Hoth (ice planet)

2. Wookie planet

3. Tatooine (pod racing)

4. Naboo/ gungan underwater

5. Asteroid field/ Death Star

6. Corrusaunt

Someone told me there is an Alderean but I never saw it. Hoth is my favorite so far

Never mind, I found it. SPOILER ALERT If you have never been on the ride:

There are eleven random segments of the film (two opening segments, three primary destination segments, three hologram message segments, and three ending destination segments). When combined, they allow 54 different possible ride experiences.

The Starspeeder 1000 takes off, although C-3PO protests he is not the captain. As the ship is about to leave the Star Tours terminal, two scenes may occur:

1. Darth Vader, Imperial Stormtroopers, and skytroopers arrive to arrest the Rebel spy aboard the speeder. Vader uses a Force-grip to keep the speeder from escaping. The Starspeeder fires its lasers at the Sith Lord, who deflects them with his lightsaber, allowing the shuttle to make a rapid exit backwards out of the hangar, with TIE Fighters chasing after it. The Starspeeder then makes the jump to lightspeed.

2. An Imperial probe droid attaches to the windshield and detects the presence of the Rebel spy on board the Starspeeder. At the same moment, Han Solo, facing detention by the Empire, opens fire on a platoon of Stormtroopers and races up the boarding ramp of the Millennium Falcon. The Falcon lifts off and launches out of the hangar with the Starspeeder in hot pursuit. After a few maneuvers, the Falcon jumps away, and the Starspeeder shoots down a couple of TIE Fighters, takes a few shots at a Star Destroyer, causing severe damage to the bridge, then jumps to lightspeed, despite C-3PO's protests.

After jumping into lightspeed, three segments are possible:

1. The Starspeeder almost crashes on Hoth amid a battle between Rebels and Imperial AT-ATs. After entering the combat zone against orders, an AT-AT fires at the Starspeeder, and the ship crashes in the snow, teetering on the edge of a cliff. The ship falls over the side and rides the canyon like a luge, launching off another cliff and free-falling into a deep canyon. Seemingly at the last second, R2-D2 re-engages the engines and the Starspeeder rockets back into space.

2. The Starspeeder reaches Tatooine and takes part in the Boonta Eve Podrace, along with the duplicitous Sebulba. The Starspeeder collides with a podracer and the two become stuck together. The race concludes with the podracer-enhanced Starspeeder overtaking Sebulba, then jettisoning the podracer and flying back into space (almost hitting the crowd).

3. The Starspeeder lands on Kashyyyk, as Imperial jet speeders pursue Chewbacca and another Wookiee on a speeder bike through the lush forest. At one point, Chewbacca falls off from the back of the speeder bike and hits the Starspeeder's windshield, before sliding off (temporarily leaving paw prints behind).

Then, back into space, a holo transmission of either Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia or Master Yoda confirms that there is a rebel spy on board, and says that coordinates have been sent to R2-D2.

Despite C-3PO's protests, R2-D2 takes the speeder to one of three different scenarios:

1. The Starspeeder arrives in the upper atmosphere of a besieged Coruscant, where the last forces of the CIS battle the Army of the Republic's Clone troopers. Buzz droids are projected at the Starspeeder, which attach themselves to the windshield, but R2 uses an electric shock to blast them off, after the buzz droids have caused severe damage to the stabilizers. The Starspeeder then plummets through the planet's atmosphere and into the bustling sky traffic of the city planet. After several near misses, the Starspeeder careens to a halt on a landing platform, nearly hitting a fuel tanker (a model seen in the original Star Tours) before crashing into a traffic control

droid.

2. The Starspeeder makes it to Naboo, which is under attack by the last Trade Federation armies. Three N-1 starfighters are ordered to lead the Starspeeder into a hangar bay, but are shot down by vulture droids. Another vulture droid shoots down the Starspeeder, and it plummets into the ocean of the planet and arrives near Otoh Gunga (almost hitting Jar Jar Binks). After the Gungans order the Starspeeder to follow a ship that will lead it through the planet's core a giant carnivorous fish attacks the guide, but not before being eaten by a bigger sea creature. An even bigger sea creature then tries to eat the Starspeeder, but R2-D2 blasts it with an electric shock. The Starspeeder then surfaces, skipping off the water and into a repair hangar filled with Starfighter debris. (There is a short reference to the original Star Tours Ride. C-3PO shouts: "Brakes, brakes, where are the brakes?" just like Captain Rex in the original attraction) The Starspeeder smashes into the tail of a Naboo starfighter, shattering the windshield and angering the pit droid that falls into the cockpit.

3. The Starspeeder discovers the still uncompleted Death Star orbiting Geonosis. Ambushed in the asteroid field by Boba Fett aboard the Slave I, the Starspeeder dodges laser fire and exploding asteroids before venturing into the Death Star. Escaping through a hangar bay, the Starspeeder is confronted again by the bounty hunter. Fett launches a sonic bomb, which is deflected back by a laser blast from the Starspeeder. The explosion cripples the bounty hunter, allowing the Starspeeder to jump to lightspeed. It reaches the Rebel fleet, and lands aboard a Mon Calamari cruiser, where the Rebel Alliance leaders await to offer congratulations.

C-3PO thanks the guests for choosing Star Tours as their space-line of choice and are then given disembarking instructions by Aly San San.