Does anyone have any recommendations for other campgrounds near Disney besides the Fort?  I know this is sacrilegious

but with an 8 night stay next year over $1000.00 for the site only, I may be looking for some nice cost effective alternatives.  I remember when the mid range hotels were $99.00 a night.  I find it hard to swallow to pay more than that for the campground.

We will be there sometime in the spring for 2 weeks, we might spend the first week at the Fort but the second week somewhere close by.

I've stayed at the Thousand Trails campground in Clermont. As the crow flies, it isn't far away- but by road and with traffic, we expect 1/2-hour+.

The price is super hard to beat - free* - since we're already Thousand Trails members. * because we have yearly dues but get to use other TT parks and the cost is spread across all of my TT nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary,

Are you at Lake Magic now?

Edited:

Hit submit too fast.

I second Lake Magic. very reasonable and 12 miles from MK. 6 from EPCOT. Traffic can be a pain right now due to construction on 192 but if you know the area you can use back roads to get around. Plus the construction is supposed to be done by summer of 2014.........oh wait. Nevermind.

Gary,

Are you at Lake Magic now?

Edited:

Hit submit too fast.

I second Lake Magic. very reasonable and 12 miles from MK. 6 from EPCOT. Traffic can be a pain right now due to construction on 192 but if you know the area you can use back roads to get around. Plus the construction is supposed to be done by summer of 2014.........oh wait. Nevermind.

Not yet Dave.  We have reservations for 12/28 - 3/28.  Hoping to get my 150 hrs in while i"m there.

We spent a week at Lake Magic this summer ($135/week). Decent place and nice pools. There was something about the laundry rooms that my wife didn't like- maybe number of washers. She definitely didn't like the 1-way roads; she said it took forever to get from our site to the laundry room. :)

Traffic was bad- especially with the construction.

We did the helicopter tour with the place just outside the campground. That was pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can only afford to stay at The Fort once a year :'( , the other times we come up we stay at the Tropical Palms RV Resort, they are minutes away from the MK off 192 right behind Old Town, great place to stay, clean comfort stations, nice wide mostly shaded sites, nice pool area and tiki bar :wave1: , plus you can walk up to Old Town for the Saturday night cruise in and numerous places to eat, it was taken over by the Carefree resort people, so they have made many improvements recently. For it being right there in the thick of things it's very quiet and laid back, and MUCH cheaper!    Brian

Is it really expensive to stay places in February in Florida? I looked at the rates for my family and Disney was only a couple dollars more per night for my full hook-up site. Granted we have a large family and we tend to stay at the fort during the value time of the year, I was just shocked to see a rate of $60 a night for the cheapest site at an off-site place. Our rate for a full hook-up site at the Fort is $70 a night. I would rather just pay the extra $10 a night. Maybe it just depends on when you stay but I am one of those people who goes when it's cheap. 

Is it really expensive to stay places in February in Florida? I looked at the rates for my family and Disney was only a couple dollars more per night for my full hook-up site. Granted we have a large family and we tend to stay at the fort during the value time of the year, I was just shocked to see a rate of $60 a night for the cheapest site at an off-site place. Our rate for a full hook-up site at the Fort is $70 a night. I would rather just pay the extra $10 a night. Maybe it just depends on when you stay but I am one of those people who goes when it's cheap.

Everything is more expensive in Florida during the tourist season.

Everything is more expensive in Florida during the tourist season.

I hear people talk about it being so expensive maybe it's just because I am cheap and I won't vacation during on season. SO I guess it's a non-issue. I was just wondering because I looked at the price for those off site campgrounds and they weren't really cheaper than Disney. Is there a certain time of the year when they are a lot cheaper or by cheaper are we just talking about $10 a night? And I am not trying to be snarky, I am truly curious. Like I said though I come during off season. 

I hear people talk about it being so expensive maybe it's just because I am cheap and I won't vacation during on season. SO I guess it's a non-issue. I was just wondering because I looked at the price for those off site campgrounds and they weren't really cheaper than Disney. Is there a certain time of the year when they are a lot cheaper or by cheaper are we just talking about $10 a night? And I am not trying to be snarky, I am truly curious. Like I said though I come during off season. 

On a per night basis the Fort is only slightly more expensive.  For two/three months it is $1,000 or more which, unless you are the kept man of a successful lawyer, begins to add up. :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Why not?

He's trying to be nice.  If he hangs around long enough he'll get over that!!   :clint:

What Gary said.  The Fort doesn't give discounts any more for longer stays (everything is on a per night basis).  Other campgrounds still do give weekly/monthly/seasonal rates, which means for longer stays, offsite is usually a lot cheaper.

Did find out that Northern Pioneers and another group do get a discount in as much as the weekends don't fluctuate thru the end of Feb. They were paying the same as AAA with Fri and Sat being the same as Sun-Thurs. The other groups leader was in 1200 just down from Gary this past winter.

One word, snowbirds. It may be off season at the fort, but all the full timers are down for the winter, so it is on season for the other campgrounds.

If you want cheap we have stayed at Lake Louisa State Park on several occassions at found it to be acceptable.  The inconvience of having to empty your grey water tank if you stay for a while was the only drawback.  Of course, one could use the bath house and probably avoid that if desired. 

If you want cheap we have stayed at Lake Louisa State Park on several occassions at found it to be acceptable.  The inconvience of having to empty your grey water tank if you stay for a while was the only drawback.  Of course, one could use the bath house and probably avoid that if desired. 

Excellent suggestion, they do have a limited number of full hook up sites.

It's a little bit further out than the other CGs mentioned, but still only about 20 minutes away, depending on traffic.

Last winter we stayed at Rainbow Chase RV Park. It was $550/month for a full hookup site on a concrete pad, not grass. I don't know what the weekly rate is, or the summer rate.  It's about 12 miles to EPCOT. You can easily get to WDW without taking I-4. The address is 6300 Lake Wilson Road, Davenport, FL. 33896, but geographically it is located in Loughman.  Phone # is 863-424-2688. It doesn't have a pool or cable TV. I met several Disney CMs who live there.