I found a great deal on a fw for my brother to join me at the Fort, but his silverado is close on the weight capacity.  I had thought that adding a fw tow package would enable him to tow more weight.  Any advice would be appreciated. The fw is a 27 foot Mako -- weighs about 7,000.  The silverado is a 4 door with an 8 foot bed.

Oh, a fifth wheel? I have heard them called fivers, but never fw.

I would be real nervous on buying a Mako, Gulfstream only made them a short time ( I think) and a lot had water leak problems. A friend had one and within one year we were repairing the back end due to leaks, good luck.

Not enough info provided for a good answer, need more info on truck...1/2, 3/4, 1 ton. Gas or diesel?

The big factor between a 5er and a TT is the pin weight. A tt has less weight on the truck (10-15%) so you can tow a heavier TT before exceeding the cargo rating of the truck. A 5er is going to have 20 - 25% of the camper's weight resting on the truck. Going on your 7000lbs estimate he will have about 1400 pounds of pin weight in the bed of the truck, plus another 150 for the hitch. If the truck in question is a half ton truck he will likely exceed his cargo capacity with the hitch and trailer alone.

I would be real nervous on buying a Mako, Gulfstream only made them a short time ( I think) and a lot had water leak problems. A friend had one and within one year we were repairing the back end due to leaks, good luck.

If this is true, that is probably why it is a great deal.  We learned that the hard way when we thought we got a great deal on our first TT, turned out it leaked.  Bad.  We had the roof repaired, but I knew there was still some damage When Metal Dad bought it from us and began repairing it I was shocked to see how bad it really was.  Like black mold, rotted in places you couldn't see or feel bad.  Looking back I feel sure the couple who sold it to us knew it had been leaking and didn't want to make the repairs.

Actually the opposite is true here are the specs for a Chev 2500 same engine and rear axle ratio

Conventional Trailering, 4.10 Rear Axle13000 lbs 5th Wheel Trailering, 4.10 Rear Axle14800 lbs

I was saying the cargo capacity of the truck will be the limiting factor, not the tow ratings. The heavier pin weight on the 5er eats up cargo capacity much faster that a TT will due to how they carry the weight.