Going to Fort Oct 4 - 11... help with route?

We seem to be going to the Fort during "Fall Break" which we expect will bring a million of our closest and dearest friends along with us. ;)

We're in North Alabama, and usually we travel to the Fort via Dothan, AL which is the halfway point +1 hour for us vs the Atlanta Speedway. We do this generally for convenience and familial reasons since my parents live in Dothan and gives us a chance to stretch our legs and spend the night as we travel down. After once experiencing heavy traffic on I-75 from Lake City through Ocala it occurs to me that our route might not be the most optimal given the timeframe and my road rage. :)

I was curious what folks thought about an alternative way from around Tallahassee down US 19/27? Last few times we've gone in the back way to Ft Wilderness via 429/535 but might try the 429 through the western route. Any suggestions?

I've never heard of early October being a busy time on the roads- certainly not like a major holiday.

The stretch of 75 north of Ocala is way better than the stretch south, which is only two lanes in each direction, and currently is under construction.

I travel US 19/27 south of Tallahassee quite often. There are quite a few little towns and speed limit changes along that route, but the road is good, and traffic is usually light.  Where would you cut over to the east from there, though?  Wouldn't you end up on 75 anyway?

TCD

I've never heard of early October being a busy time on the roads- certainly not like a major holiday.

The stretch of 75 north of Ocala is way better than the stretch south, which is only two lanes in each direction, and currently is under construction.

I travel US 19/27 south of Tallahassee quite often. There are quite a few little towns and speed limit changes along that route, but the road is good, and traffic is usually light.  Where would you cut over to the east from there, though?  Wouldn't you end up on 75 anyway?

TCD

I suppose at some point you have to get back on 75 before the turnpike unless you go way out of your way to avoid the turnpike, so yeah. Seems like Ocala is the most likely.

I see no advantage to taking 19/27 then.

TCD

I second that. I haven't done that section of Florida a much as TCD but I can tell you that portion of I75 is actually my favorite in Florida to me it gets way worse south of Tampa as far as traffic and scenery go.

I also didn't care for all the little towns on the cut through route from Tallahassee to Ocala so I vote for I 10 to I 75 route.

WBI

I'm the opposite, I DESPISE the Dothan route. We take, I-565, I-65S, I-20E, I-75S, Florida Turnpike, 429S, Hartzog Rd, West Buena Vista, World Drive, then Vista Blvd.

We, do, however, very strictly have certain departure times from home.

2:00 pm Bham 4pm - Atlanta 7pm

5:00 pm Bham 7pm - Atlanta 10pm.

If we do the 2pm departure, then we stop in Valdosta, and head out the next morning. No issues south of Valdosta.

If we do the 5pm departure, then we stop somewhere between Macon and Tifton and head out the next morning.  The last 60 miles of I-75 in South Georgia is just finishing up a 10-years+ project to widen to 3 lanes.

I used to use the 27 route when I came from Mobile.  The road is almost interstate quality and the traffic is usually light.  Some slowdown for the towns, but also more options for gas stations and food stops that way.  You miss Gainesville.  Still hit 75 at Ocala with the southbound traffic.

I take US84 from Dothan to Thomasville GA.  US19S all the way down to Otter Creek FL quite a ways south of Chiefland.  About 5 mi north of Inglis as the road turns from SE to due south there will be a left turn lane exit for FL121 CR336. The sign will also say Goethe State Forest.  Get on 336 it runs SE and take it till it ends, make a left E on CR40 and take it into Dunnellon.  You'll come to a stop sign where you MUST turn left.  This takes you a couple of blocks past a fire station to a traffic signal at US41.  Go straight across 41 and you will be on FL484E take it all the way over to I75 and head south.  I go past the toll road to exit 314 and take FL48 E into Bushnell Main Street. Turn S or right an go to CR48 which crosses where US301 joins main.  Go left across the RR Tracks to N Florida St/ CR48 and make a right/ south then follow CR48 to FL471.  Make a right/south on FL471 and take it to Tarrytown, to FL50.  Left on FL50E to Groveland.  Watch on your right for FL33S.  Turn on FL33S and stay on it until you see CR474 E  turn left and stay on it till US27 S.  Make a right and take it to FL192. You can only go E...your about 8 mi from World Drive.

I take US84 from Dothan to Thomasville GA.  US19S all the way down to Otter Creek FL quite a ways south of Chiefland.  About 5 mi north of Inglis as the road turns from SE to due south there will be a left turn lane exit for FL121 CR336. The sign will also say Goethe State Forest.  Get on 336 it runs SE and take it till it ends, make a left E on CR40 and take it into Dunnellon.  You'll come to a stop sign where you MUST turn left.  This takes you a couple of blocks past a fire station to a traffic signal at US41.  Go straight across 41 and you will be on FL484E take it all the way over to I75 and head south.  I go past the toll road to exit 314 and take FL48 E into Bushnell Main Street. Turn S or right an go to CR48 which crosses where US301 joins main.  Go left across the RR Tracks to N Florida St/ CR48 and make a right/ south then follow CR48 to FL471.  Make a right/south on FL471 and take it to Tarrytown, to FL50.  Left on FL50E to Groveland.  Watch on your right for FL33S.  Turn on FL33S and stay on it until you see CR474 E  turn left and stay on it till US27 S.  Make a right and take it to FL192. You can only go E...your about 8 mi from World Drive.

Wow.  That is a lot of small towns and small roads!  That FL121 you mentioned is my shortcut that I take to Gainesville.  I've also driven the route you take into Dunnellon.  That road through the Goethe Forest is spooky at night.

Why do you choose to drive this route?  If you're towing a trailer, and you get stuck behind some peanut farmer driving slow on one of those one lane roads, you're screwed.

TCD

Wow.  That is a lot of small towns and small roads!  That FL121 you mentioned is my shortcut that I take to Gainesville.  I've also driven the route you take into Dunnellon.  That road through the Goethe Forest is spooky at night.

Why do you choose to drive this route?  If you're towing a trailer, and you get stuck behind some peanut farmer driving slow on one of those one lane roads, you're screwed.

TCD

Andrew you may, or may not, know that I drove an 18 wheeler before I retired. The outfit I drove for (Watkins) routed you and you would be fired if caught off route. I used to run in GA and FL quite often and will go to great lengths to stay off of Toll roads and Interstates in both of those states due to my experiences. For example... I was REQUIRED to take I-4 from Orlando to Lakeland and back...a round trip of less than 90 mi.  It was a lovely sunny afternoon during spring break and the trip took just shy of SEVEN HOURS. :blowup:   The route I now take has good roads, light traffic, lovely scenery and low stress. I don't use I-75 myself but it was less confusing telling him to go that way.  336 thru the state forest has about zero traffic and is wide and straight.  FL 33 is similar.  I usually never hit ANY traffic till Ocala.

Andrew you may, or may not, know that I drove an 18 wheeler before I retired. The outfit I drove for (Watkins) routed you and you would be fired if caught off route. I used to run in GA and FL quite often and will go to great lengths to stay off of Toll roads and Interstates in both of those states due to my experiences. For example... I was REQUIRED to take I-4 from Orlando to Lakeland and back...a round trip of less than 90 mi.  It was a lovely sunny afternoon during spring break and the trip took just shy of SEVEN HOURS. :blowup:   The route I now take has good roads, light traffic, lovely scenery and low stress. I don't use I-75 myself but it was less confusing telling him to go that way.  336 thru the state forest has about zero traffic and is wide and straight.  FL 33 is similar.  I usually never hit ANY traffic till Ocala.

I didn't know that, Denny.

Very cool, though.

Even though it's a longer route, I like to drive up 19 and head to Gainesville via 121.  It is much more pleasant than 75.  And, I visit Dunnellon and the Rainbow River quite a bit.  It was strange to see somebody recommend driving right through town there.

TCD

TCD

TCD is right US 19/27 is a good route. I too live in North Alabama. I have tried every possible route that you can think of.  I can do without going through Dothan.  Too many red lights for me.  I agree with Carol, I prefer to go through Atlanta.  We like to stop over at a place called Williston, Florida on the way down.  It is in between Gainsville and Ocala.  It is located off of 19/27.  I love the drive from Williston to Ocala there are many horse farms located on this route.  We then hit 75 again and head for the turnpike.  We then look for one of our favorite signs, Hartzog Road.  I love the journey to and from the fort (especially the trip to the fort).  I only wish that I lived as close as TCD.  I hope you have a safe trip and a great time.  I would love to visit the fort in the fall.  I will have to settle for another TCD trip report. 

I didn't know that, Denny.

Very cool, though.

Even though it's a longer route, I like to drive up 19 and head to Gainesville via 121.  It is much more pleasant than 75.  And, I visit Dunnellon and the Rainbow River quite a bit.  It was strange to see somebody recommend driving right through town there.

TCD

You've hit the nail on the head Andrew.....MUCH more pleasant.  I don't get held up much by traffic...usually drive from 70 mi West of St. Louis in 18 hrs total.  That's counting fuel, meal, and other stops so I'm averaging about 65. 

TCD is right US 19/27 is a good route. I too live in North Alabama. I have tried every possible route that you can think of.  I can do without going through Dothan.  Too many red lights for me.  I agree with Carol, I prefer to go through Atlanta.  We like to stop over at a place called Williston, Florida on the way down.  It is in between Gainsville and Ocala.  It is located off of 19/27.  I love the drive from Williston to Ocala there are many horse farms located on this route.  We then hit 75 again and head for the turnpike.  We then look for one of our favorite signs, Hartzog Road.  I love the journey to and from the fort (especially the trip to the fort).  I only wish that I lived as close as TCD.  I hope you have a safe trip and a great time.  I would love to visit the fort in the fall.  I will have to settle for another TCD trip report. 

I know Williston well- it's the one town that I drive through after leaving 19 to head to Gainesville.  Do you stay at the RV park there just east of town?  Or someplace closer to 75?

You've hit the nail on the head Andrew.....MUCH more pleasant.  I don't get held up much by traffic...usually drive from 70 mi West of St. Louis in 18 hrs total.  That's counting fuel, meal, and other stops so I'm averaging about 65. 

No argument from me there.  But, I'd still probably take 75 and then the Turnpike if I was coming from the north.  No small town speed traps, no farmers or log trucks,  and good roads the whole way.

TCD

I know Williston well- it's the one town that I drive through after leaving 19 to head to Gainesville.  Do you stay at the RV park there just east of town?  Or someplace closer to 75?

No argument from me there.  But, I'd still probably take 75 and then the Turnpike if I was coming from the north.  No small town speed traps, no farmers or log trucks,  and good roads the whole way.

TCD

We stay at Williston Crossings!  It is has two gated entrances. It is a very nice park. In the winter months you can hardly shake a stick in there.  It is covered up.