I am new to FortFiends! Once I discovered that I don't want to stay anywhere else at WDW, I found this place.

My DH and I are looking at acquiring a travel trailer, between 19 and 23 feet long. We've had truck campers before, but now we're ready to something where we don't have to pole vault into bed every night.

We live in CO, so we definitely need a true 4 season trailer. It's kinda narrowed down to a new Creekside 20FQ or a used (2001 year) 22' Bigfoot. Prices are about the same, so that's no help.

Also, are there differences between a truck camper and travel trailer (besides towing and backing) that we should know?

Thanks.

FredEthelsMom

Welcome! 

I hope you enjoy whatever trailer you end up with! 

As far as those two particular units....I'm not personally familiar with those brands but I have heard that Bigfoot makes a quality product.  However, if you are looking at a 14 year old trailer and it's the same price as a new trailer....I would absolutely go with the new one!  Even a high quality 14 year old trailer, unless it's been maintained to the highest standards and you are sure there are no deferred maintenance issues particularly with the roof, can cause you problems and cost money.  Just like in a house, components, appliances, roofs, etc wear out and need fixing or replacing.  A new unit will be under warranty and presumably shouldn't cost much in the short term to maintain. 

Now...is it possible that you meant to say a 2011 Bigfoot?  if so, that might change the equation a bit.  Even so I'd think it should be priced a bit lower than a new trailer but as I'm not familiar enough to know, maybe the Bigfoot is a premium brand compared to the Creekside and merits the higher relative cost. 

One other consideration....when you say "new" Creekside, are you talking a 2015 model, or earlier?  Cause if it's a 2014 or even 2013 leftover you might deal enough to make it a great bargain.  Most RV's, even current model years, can be had for 20-30% off MSRP, if not more depending on demand for that floorplan, etc.  So research pricing online and just maybe the new one would be cheaper yet. 

Good points, thanks. Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) hold their value, but are really up there in price. I think you're right about the appliances. I hadn't thought too much about them, mainly the structure itself. Both brands have an awesome fiberglass clamshell design, which really cuts down on roof issues.

I am leaning toward the new one. Good to know about bargaining, all they can do is say "no", right? The new one is 2014.

Can't wait to get to the Fort!

• 4 weeks later...

Good points, thanks. Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) hold their value, but are really up there in price. I think you're right about the appliances. I hadn't thought too much about them, mainly the structure itself. Both brands have an awesome fiberglass clamshell design, which really cuts down on roof issues.

I am leaning toward the new one. Good to know about bargaining, all they can do is say "no", right? The new one is 2014.

Can't wait to get to the Fort!

You have probably already made your decision, since I am about a month late to the thread BUT....when we bought our fifth wheel, I sent the dealer a ridculously low offer and what I wanted for our trade in thinking I would get a " :rofl2: " in return. Apparently I didn't shoot low enough because they took the offer!  Saved us almost $10000 over a similar unit from a different deal who panned our offer. So, ask away!