I'm brand new to Fort Wilderness...

Interesting.  I'll have to look into that since we will have several future visits where we will be flying in.

Although, I thought most rental car companies charged more if you don't drop off at the same place you pick up?  This has happened to me many times during business and personal travel.

The drop off charges or higher rates depend upon the contract or program the car is rented under. It can also be affected by any specials in effect at the time of rental. I have never paid additional for dropping a car off at different locations as those are waved under my company plan. The same is true for my credit card plan but it's regular rates are usually not as good as my company's or specials at the rental agency.

Interesting.  I'll have to look into that since we will have several future visits where we will be flying in.

Although, I thought most rental car companies charged more if you don't drop off at the same place you pick up?  This has happened to me many times during business and personal travel.

The drop off charges or higher rates depend upon the contract or program the car is rented under. It can also be affected by any specials in effect at the time of rental. I have never paid additional for dropping a car off at different locations as those are waved under my company plan. The same is true for my credit card plan but it's regular rates are usually not as good as my company's or specials at the rental agency.

Someone once told me that rental car companies in Florida don't charge drop off fees and from my experiences that seems to be true.

Just out of curiosity I went online and check what it would cost to rent a car on December 17 for one day.

I checked with Enterprise and did not out in my rewards info.

To rent an economy car at the airport and returning it the next day was $72 which included all taxes and fees.

Same car picked up at airport and returned the next day to the B Resort (formerly royal plaza( by DTD)). Was only $53. $19 less.

Lol!

I know that's just one car rental company and one particular day so that goes to show you that we need to shop around.

Just curious, with this many people, have you considered renting a camper?  You lose the maid service but you might gain extra space, thinking a camper in 1700 loop  might be cheaper.

We have often rented a car from Enterprise while we were at the Fort.  They picked up and dropped off at our campsite.  We once had to rent from Alamo and they picked up and dropped off at the Outpost.  Never had a problem withj either company.  We usually kept the car for more than one day to make runs to CVS, Winn Dixie, WalMart, or Harbor Freight.