Last November my son & I were walking from the golf cart parking to the Outpost.  Well there is a huge tree along the path that has seeds in a round shell with spikes all over it.  DS just reminded me we kept the one he found & wants to try & plant it.  Personnally I don't think it'll work but I'll let him try.  Does anyone know what kind of tree this is? 

I found this answer about growing the seeds on this site, http://en.allexperts.com/q/Landscaping-Design-724/grow-sweet-gum.htm

You should harvest the seeds as soon as they mature in the fall.

As you probably know, the seeds are inside that thorny capsule. Place the capsules on a sheet of paper in a warm place. As they open, shake the seeds out and sow them in a mixture of 1/3 of horticultural sand (coarse, washed river sand) 1/3 of a good compost and 1/3 of peat moss. Mix well and place it in a 8 inch deep tray. Spread the seeds evenly and not to crowded. Cover them with a 1/6 of an inch of the same mix and place it in a cold frame. Seeds could take up to two years to germinate. As soon as the seedlings reach around 4 inches high they should be transplanted to a pot where they should be kept until ready to be planted. Young plants should be kept in a cold frame for their first winter. As you plant them in their final place, try not to disturb the roots as you remove them from the pots. Sweet gum doesn't like to be transplanted.

Sweet gum is not only a beautiful tree but also a very useful one. It produces a resin (obtained by removing part of the bark and scraping the resin that will form on it)

This resin is used as a natural remedy against the common cold, coughs, sore throats, and chewed as a natural tooth cleaner.

It is also in used perfumery and incense making.

Care should be taken in not planting them near roads or driveways. The thorns on the seed capsules are so hard that they could puncture a tire.

Good luck!

Carlo

I found this answer about growing the seeds on this site, http://en.allexperts.com/q/Landscaping-Design-724/grow-sweet-gum.htm

You should harvest the seeds as soon as they mature in the fall.

As you probably know, the seeds are inside that thorny capsule. Place the capsules on a sheet of paper in a warm place. As they open, shake the seeds out and sow them in a mixture of 1/3 of horticultural sand (coarse, washed river sand) 1/3 of a good compost and 1/3 of peat moss. Mix well and place it in a 8 inch deep tray. Spread the seeds evenly and not to crowded. Cover them with a 1/6 of an inch of the same mix and place it in a cold frame. Seeds could take up to two years to germinate. As soon as the seedlings reach around 4 inches high they should be transplanted to a pot where they should be kept until ready to be planted. Young plants should be kept in a cold frame for their first winter. As you plant them in their final place, try not to disturb the roots as you remove them from the pots. Sweet gum doesn't like to be transplanted.

Sweet gum is not only a beautiful tree but also a very useful one. It produces a resin (obtained by removing part of the bark and scraping the resin that will form on it)

This resin is used as a natural remedy against the common cold, coughs, sore throats, and chewed as a natural tooth cleaner.

It is also in used perfumery and incense making.

Care should be taken in not planting them near roads or driveways. The thorns on the seed capsules are so hard that they could puncture a tire.

Good luck!

Carlo

Wow thanks for the info.  :worship: :worship:

Doooooooon't plant those seeds!!!  Sweetgum trees are the nastiest things on this earth!!  We had THREE of those dang things in our yard and paid big money to get rid of them!!!  Two years later, STILL finding a few prickly balls in the landscaping here and there.

Doooooooon't plant those seeds!!!  Sweetgum trees are the nastiest things on this earth!!  We had THREE of those dang things in our yard and paid big money to get rid of them!!!  Two years later, STILL finding a few prickly balls in the landscaping here and there.

I totally agree with Carol!!!  They are awful!  I have several in my yard  and I am constantly stepping on those stupid balls...and they really hurt!!!  However if you still really want one, you can come on over to my house and dig up a few full grown ones to take home with you.  Why wait for one to grow when you can have a full-grown one!  :dance:

I'm not even sure they would survive up here at the MA/NH border. Others will know better but we can have some harsh winters that may kill it. If he can even get it to germinate it would be planted on the edge of the forest and the prickly balls want even hit my grass. Thanks for the warning.

I totally agree with Carol!!!  They are awful!  I have several in my yard  and I am constantly stepping on those stupid balls...and they really hurt!!!  However if you still really want one, you can come on over to my house and dig up a few full grown ones to take home with you.  Why wait for one to grow when you can have a full-grown one!  :dance:

I agree!!!  Don't do it!! Big Mistake!!!!  I had one of those at a former residence...they are HORRIBLE!  You'll never be able to walk barefoot through your yard again!

Used to have one on a property line.  Thankfully my neighbor wanted it gone along with his tall pine trees (they break and fall on houses), so he paid to have the sweetgum taken out.  Yes, the balls were in the yard for years, and I still have to fill every year where the root suystem is rotting out beloe ground.  And we later got rid of our tall pines that were anywhere near the house.  We still lose one at the back of our lot every 2-3 years in storms.  Trees !  Bah!  All they do is produce broken houses, leaves, pine straw, sweetgum balls,...  shade, beautiful flowers, apples, pears, peaches...  ok, maybe not so bad.

Omigosh, was it a storm? When did this happen?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.  This happened Jan/ 2005 in the 1900 Loop at FW.  There was some wind, but no storm, in fact there were children playing ball w/ their Dad right in front of the site when it happened (we were at the MK).

Disney is self-insured and as they told me several times, Florida law considers tree falls to be "Acts of God" and therefore no responsibility on their part.

My insurance did eventually pay for repairs AFTER I payed the one thousand dollar deductable......

Everytime I hear the words "Trees" and "Disney" together I see red.......    :rofl2:

but as I said before, Thank the Lord that no one was hurt, and I'd rather it fall on my camper than on a child in a tent.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :( :( :(

treewar-thumb.jpg Maybe this should be your avatar! :)

Thats great Stefa!  I saved it for future use  :)

I wouldn't use it as an Avatar only because it was such an unpleasant experience. One that I don't want to dwell on everday, only when Trees are mentioned....  LOL!

I was very disillusioned that week. The Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge management and the Disney Legal Dept literally and figuritively made a bad situation worse.

There is a quote from a guest in the back of the "Unofficial Guide" that I found to be the absolute Truth!  He says: "Disney is the best place in the World until something goes wrong, when it does you might as well be talking to a brick wall"

It took a few years and meeting my wife to bring me back to Disney and FW.  I try really hard to keep my mind on the Pixie Dust and not the real dust.....  :)

:D :heart: :rofl2: >:D :))

Do NOT get me going on Trees at Fort Wilderness.......

FWTree1.jpg

:D :heart: :rofl2: >:D :))

My MIL & late FIL had an experience with a tree falling on their TT and wiping out their awning and damaging the roof of the TT.  Like you, FtW mgmt would not do a thing.

In 2003-04 we were in site 1107 for the winter.  There was a tree limb on a pine tree next to our site that looked like it could go at any minute.  I called the front desk and asked them to send someone from landscaping to take a look at it.  They did - and nothing was done. 

The next day I took a letter to the front desk - along with a picture - and stated that if the limb came down and damaged my coach I would hold Disney responsible for the damage. I also advised them a copy of the letter (and picture) was being sent to my insurance company and my lawyer.  The limb was removed within the week.

If a guest points out a problem such as this - I don't get why Disney won't take care of it?  It would be very easy for the loop attendants to "look up" when they clean a site and report precarious branches to landscaping to take care of.

Last Christmas we were temporarily moved out of our site...decorations and all....so CM's could remove a tree at the rear of the site that looked like it might be dangerous in a storm.  The crews helps us take everything down, moved us to another site while the work was done, moved us back and set everything back up in our original site.  The honcho over the work even brought his family by our site that evening to see our decorations.  Great preventive work.  I can't say wht it might have been otherwise.