We are not intended to be boat people this year.  A few nights ago we were leaving the MK toward FW after the Christmas Party.  We got out into Seven Seas Lagoon and were almost immediately ordered back to port.  We were only told the entire boat fleet was out of service.  I found out yesterday that a boat had sprung a fluid leak and dumped diesel in the water.

Last evening, we had rrservations for the BYBBQ but decided to make a quick trip to the MK to get family photos with Santa.  On the way to the MK, there was a funny sound from the engines as the boat accelerated past the water bridge.  We idled into port and I asked the CM if they had engine trouble.  He grinned and said,"You heard that, huh?"  We got to Santa in time  to find out he was going on a half hour break which would have made us late for the BBQ.  The CM said there was nothing he could do, but a second CM said he could fix it and moved us to the head of the line for quite a few pictures.  Time was getting close, so we hurried back to the port to see the same broke down boat at the dock.  I noticed the boat on the other side was flying a red/green flag so we hurried into the much shorter line.  As they filled the boat we were the next in line...with no room at the inn.  I asked the CM about getting on the next boat which was just coming in.  He said, not likely as there were many trying to make the HDDR.  He then came back to us and said they would take a equal number of people from both sides of the queue.  We were the first on board and made it to the BBQ with 3-4 minutes to spare.  Thje CM seating people recognized us from previous years and took us to a center table where a RESERVED plaque sat.  After that, all was well.  And you should have seen the mountain of food Shawnee ate.

I've been thinking about the boat maintenance for years now. Those boats are always running, always. Under load. I'm curious if they have extra boats or if the preventative maintenance is done at night.

They usually take one boat at a time down for refurb, and modify the boat schedule with shared boats to accomodate.

The smaller launches can only be maintained, not totally refurbed as they are grandfathered under disability laws. If they do more than something like a 40% refurb, then they would have to make them accessible.

• 4 weeks later...