I figured I'd put these here as a reference for when people ask "how busy is Christmas at WDW".

This info comes from WDWMagic...

DECEMBER 25, 2014

10:30am EST The Magic Kingdom has closed to some guests due to reaching capacity as of 10:30am.

A new phase closing system is in use this year, currently designated as Phase A. This means that guests with single day Magic Kingdom tickets are not being admitted at this time.

All other parks are currently operating as normal.

Those guests being denied entry to the Magic Kingdom are being given a coupon for free parking at one of the other parks, along with free quick service dining.

UPDATE 3:58pm EST - The Magic Kingdom has reopened to all guests after closing earlier due to capacity.

DECEMBER 26, 2014

Magic Kingdom currently closed to some guests due to reaching capacity
Dec 26, 2014 | 11:40am EST

As of 11:40am, the Magic Kingdom is currently closed to some guests due to reaching a level of Phase A capacity.

This means that guests with one day Magic Kingdom tickets are not being admitted to the park. Guests meeting the following criteria are being admitted.

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Park Hopper tickets re-entering or crossing over from another WDW Theme Park
  • Guests with Memory Maker
  • Guests with dining reservations
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/

Also if there's a video up on FB from yesterday morning of the line of cars trying to get into the Magic Kingdom.  Basically the line extends from MK all the way back to the Swalphin.  Holy traffic jam! I'm not sure of the time of the video, but the person speaking is saying that all those people will be turned away, so I'm assuming it was after the capacity closure and the parking lot was already full.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203684489096155&set=vb.1335147832&type=2&theater

WOW!    That is crazy!  What a miserable day to be at the MK.  Heck, I didn't even know that they ever closed the gates...and we've been there on some super busy days, which means that the park must be insane right now.  No fun to go, when there are so many people :(

What I don't understand, is if you purchased a ticket for that one-day...they won't let you in, but they are letting others in (AP, multi-day...etc)?  Or maybe I misunderstood?

What I don't understand, is if you purchased a ticket for that one-day...they won't let you in, but they are letting others in (AP, multi-day...etc)? Or maybe I misunderstood?

Correct. They have different levels of closure. The first is to deny admission to one day ticket holders not staying on property.

Correct. They have different levels of closure. The first is to deny admission to one day ticket holders not staying on property.

That makes me sad for those people who may have planned just that one day at the MK :(    I get it... but still, bummer for those folks.

We have been caught when the park closed.  The boats from the Fort all knew about it.  It happened to our family on the 31st.  I took Melissa and Darby to the boat and she checked and he said it was open to those staying on property and/or with annual passes.  She had both.  So they went straight in and had a ball because everyone was celebrating the parades, etc. and she and Darby rode all the rides as many times as they wanted.   Christmas Day, we know not to try and get near the parks.

Christmas-New Years is THE busiest time of the year at WDW and capacity closures, particularly at the Magic Kingdom, are pretty common. It also sometimes happens on July 4th, and during Easter week if it happens to fall at the same time as a lot of Spring Breaks.

It stinks if you get blocked out, but it's also not the time of year to show up without knowing what you're getting into or having a Plan B.

I'm trying to dig up what the new phased closure levels are, but according to the past closures, these actually aren't as bad as they could be.  There are times when no one at all is allowed in, regardless of what type of ticket you have, where you're staying, ADRs, etc.  New Year's Eve tends to be the day that happens at MK.

It's much more rare that the other parks close, but it has happened.

I saw pictures also - it was pretty much shoulder-to-shoulder.  I can't really imagine what a full-blown "no one gets in" closure looks like.

For giggles, I just looked at wait times and they don't really look any worse than a typical "busy" day...

Mine Train 130

BTMRR 60

Dumbo 45

HM 60

Tea Cups 20

PP 70

Pirates 50

I have to say...we have done 3 park days this week following the advice of Kelly's boyfriend and did not have serious crowd issues. We rode everything we wanted to without waiting more than 20 minutes. We are staying away from the parks for the next 7 days based on his estimates as well.

I think you can definitely be smart about where/when to go this time of year and still get things done.  Just takes a little research, flexibility and realistic expectations.

We've had a few TRs here from people that managed to get a ton done during the crazybusy times of year... and sounds like we'll be adding another to the list before too long.  :)

I have to say...we have done 3 park days this week following the advice of Kelly's boyfriend and did not have serious crowd issues. We rode everything we wanted to without waiting more than 20 minutes. We are staying away from the parks for the next 7 days based on his estimates as well.

As much as people make fun of my BF, he does give good advice.

I missed posting this one...

DECEMBER 27, 2014

Magic Kingdom parking closed due to capacity
Dec 27, 2014 | 12:22pm EST

The Magic Kingdom TTC parking lot has reached capacity and is not accepting anymore guests.

Guests re currently being redirected to the Epcot parking lot, and then directed to use Walt Disney World transportation to return to the Magic Kingdom. A free parking coupon is also being handed out for those redirected guests.

All parks, including the Magic Kingdom, are still open to all guests.

This is from today DECEMBER 29, 2014

Magic Kingdom closed to some guests due to reaching capacity
Dec 29, 2014 | 11:26am EST

As of 11:05am, the Magic Kingdom is closed to some guests due to reaching a level of Phase A capacity.

This means that guests with one day Magic Kingdom tickets are not being admitted to the park. Guests meeting the following criteria are being admitted.

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • Guests with Park Hopper tickets re-entering or crossing over from another WDW Theme Park
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.

No word yet on if the closure status has changed.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/

FYI here are the updated phases for capacity closings, as posted on WDWMagic...

Phase A Closing

No admission of guests with Magic Kingdom one day tickets, and no admission of guests even with Magic Kingdom FastPass+ reservations unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
Phase 1 Park ClosingGuests with 'Magic Your Way' base tickets, or a '1-Day 1-Park Ticket', Guests without an admission ticket, and Cast Members using Main Gate & Silver Passes will be turned around at the parking lot booths. Phase 2 Park ClosingAdmission is limited to:
  • Disney Resort Guests (including the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, and guests arriving by bus from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels)
  • Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders
  • Guests with Hopper tickets coming from another park
  • Guests re-entering the park
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League
  • Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation will be admitted.
  • Guests with pre-purchased 1 day Magic Kingdom tickets
Phase 3 Park ClosingAdmission is limited to:
  • Disney Resort Guests (including the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, and guests arriving by bus from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels)
  • Annual, Premier and Premium Annual Passholders
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League
Phase 4 Park ClosingClosed to all guests.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/park-closing-phases.htm