Upgrading to Annual Passes

My wife, the kids, and I are coming back to WDW in February for the Princess 5k. We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside resort with 5 of us in the room and friends in another room. We've also decided that we think we'll spend 5-6 weeks in the summer in Clermont, FL again and would like to upgrade to annual passes so that we can come and go to WDW during our time over the summer. If we get the APs, we'll likely spend Christmas 2015 there, as well.

I have 2 questions, I guess:

1) I know my wife has worked for the various discounts on our room/meal plan/tickets. I tried reading the guide to getting discounts on APs, but it made my head swim. For our February trip, we only have to pay for 3 of us (me, wife, DD/11); our son will be 2 but turns 3 in June. Should we just upgrade our February tickets to be annual passes (can you do that?)? Is there anything I should know for this? Or tricks to do or anything?

2) Should we wait until the summer to get son his AP?

And, I guess the third question would be- other than unlimited access to the parks, what are the benefits to the APs? Does it include parking at the parks?

Yes, you can upgrade your February tickets to be Annual Passes. Simply go to a ticket window outside the parks within 7 days of first use of your tickets, and tell them you want Annual Passes. They will take your tickets, punch some keys to find out what you paid for them, take your information from your Drivers License, take some more money, and give you your Annual Passes.  You will then need to go to My Disney Experience, and link the numbers on the back of the APs to your Magic Bands, then you are set. (You can also then order specific AP Magic Bands that are not tied to any resort reservation, and you get a little AP slider for the MB)

Yes, the passes include parking as long as it is not a FL Resident Seasonal, but that doesn't look like it applies in your case.

It offers shopping discounts of 10%

It offers some meal discounts for lunch sit downs around 10%

It allows you to purchase a Tables in Wonderland Card for $100 that will save you 20% on most sit down restaurants and resort bars INCLUDING ALCOHOL and allows you valet parking at a resort if you are dining there.

I would wait until your son is 3 to purchase his Annual Pass, BUT if they announce a price increase just before your summer arrival, go ahead and purchase his before the price increase goes into effect.

There are also discounts on various tours, boat rentals, recreation stuff, etc.

Oh, and your Annual Pass will be good for 365 days from the first use of the ticket in February.

If you buy your son's pass remotely before his 3rd birthday, then his pass date will start the day it is activated at a park and first use.

If you buy it upon your arrival in the summer, his pass date will start the day of purchase.

Make sure you have 1 full day left on the ticket. 

Also, double check that they make the expiration date 1 year from the first time the ticket was used. When I upgraded mine in July, they made it a year from the date of purchase. I didn't realize that until I got home and saw online. If it's messed up, it can only be fixed in person at Guest Services. 

Also, double check that they make the expiration date 1 year from the first time the ticket was used. When I upgraded mine in July, they made it a year from the date of purchase. I didn't realize that until I got home and saw online. If it's messed up, it can only be fixed in person at Guest Services. 

We actually ended up with an extra day somehow.  After all the rigamarole of figuring out how to bridge the ticket price on our UT tickets, I think they all just gave up.  The supervisor eventually said "it's fine" and winked at me.

Remember that the 10% discount for AP holders does NOT apply to most of the "fast" food places in the parks. Not sure

about the restaurants like BOG, etc. because we never eat there. Shawnee loves Cosmic Rays, Pecos Bills, The Commissionary, The Electric Umbrealla, etc. so that is where we usually eat. We want our boy to be happy.

• 7 months later...

They will take your tickets, punch some keys to find out what you paid for them, take your information from your Drivers License, take some more money, and give you your Annual Passes. 

Since I am el cheapo i have to ask this question.  If you purchase say 10-day tickets from an outside vendor - 

1) can you also upgrade those tickets? and

2) If so, when disney is calculating how much more you owe them, do they know how much you paid for them from said outside vendor?

Since I am el cheapo i have to ask this question.  If you purchase say 10-day tickets from an outside vendor - 

1) can you also upgrade those tickets? and

2) If so, when disney is calculating how much more you owe them, do they know how much you paid for them from said outside vendor?

This thread explains it better than I ever could: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13826-how-to-get-a-discount-on-annual-passes/

I guess I'm just a nervous nelly about dropping this kind of coin. :D

Not sure if you can do it with out of state AP's, but with our FL Resident Seasonal Pass, we were able to pay what amounted to a days admission, then pay the remainder divided by 11 or 12 via an automatic charge each month.

Might help ease the sticker shock.

Not sure if you can do it with out of state AP's, but with our FL Resident Seasonal Pass, we were able to pay what amounted to a days admission, then pay the remainder divided by 11 or 12 via an automatic charge each month.

Might help ease the sticker shock.

Pretty sure that is only for Florida residents: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/monthly-payment/

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for.

If my math is correct, as of today I could save $181.02 on 4 AP's by getting the 10 day hopper + water park option.  Not too shabby if this still works.