How will we spend our summer vacation?

So we are starting to get down to the details for our 2 week summer vacation. July 10th we fly to California. We will be at Disneyland for July 10-15 and then we head out and up north. 

Here is one of the things we are trying to decide. Vehicle rental. We have 3 options we are kicking between. 

Least practical- Convertible: because nothing says postcards like a Convertible on the PCH. And well it's a convertible. 

Sedan- If we decide to tent camp for our trip we would need something that can carry everything. Which we would probably be buying there depending on how much luggage we can manage. 

Class C- It costs more up front but we could stay at campgrounds vs. hotels, buy and carry more food with us, We are thinking about a C so this would let us live in one for just over a week. 

What would you do?

I'm inclined to say convertible because... well as you said, convertible!  Sure not so much room for stuff, but hey, no one needs to sit in what little there is of a back seat so you can just chuck stuff there.

We once drove our mustang convertible all the way to Key West... it was awesome.  Only downside, I wasn't able to buy the tiki pole I wanted because we'd have had to strap it to the hood.  8)

2nd choice would be C, mostly because if you're considering buying, it's a good chance to test it out.

The problem with the C is most are NOT unlimited mileage, so that can add up.

Most rental cars will give you unlimited mileage, and obviously better gas mileage.

Read the reviews of the rental company you go with on the C VERY carefully. I've read a few horror stories, those things are used heavily by folks that have no clue what they are doing, and are pretty abused, several reports of folks being stranded, and little customer service.

The problem with the C is most are NOT unlimited mileage, so that can add up.

Most rental cars will give you unlimited mileage, and obviously better gas mileage.

Read the reviews of the rental company you go with on the C VERY carefully. I've read a few horror stories, those things are used heavily by folks that have no clue what they are doing, and are pretty abused, several reports of folks being stranded, and little customer service.

The one we are looking at has 800 miles included in the price with .34 cents per mile over. 

I would definitely check the reviews beforehand too. I have seen some of those stories too. 

If it is in the budget I would go with the c. My grandparents did a trip similar to that once and said there were several scenic views where they stayed over night in their c. Would have more of a freedom of choice in where and when you stop as opposed to finding a hotel or trying to make reservations. On the other side it may be more difficult to get around in any citys, they towed a car to go sightseeing and such. Anyway you go it will be a great trip, one I hope to make sometime.

About two years ago we had a family reunion in Oceanside CA. I'm from Oxnard California 5 of my 7 siblings still live in SoCal. After our reunion we drove to San Francisco. And to Sacramento. Via Napa Valley. I can tell you that you don't want to take an RV on PCH if you plan on taking it all the up north. The highway from San Luis Obispo to Monterey is a very narrow windy road with signs that tell rv's not to drive on it. We were in my moms minivan and it was scary in that. It's a absolutely beautiful drive and I highly recommend it but not in a RV. It's a 140-150 miles from San Luis Obispo to Monterey but it will take you about 3.5-4.0 hours to drive it. It will take you 2.5 hours on Hwy 101.

All that being said. Hotels in some of the more rural areas are expensive. We stayed at Days inn in San Luis Obispo and it was $150/ night. The motel 6 was over $100 also. If you get a chance stop in Solvang California. It a great little Danish town just north of Santa Barbara.

The plan is driving up the coast. No specific plan there. Then heading inland to spend a few days at Yosemite, then Heading to San Fran for a few nights. If rental car we will probably fly back from LA just for cost savings on the rental. We were thinking about renting the camper because we like camping and there were some cool places on the PCH we had checked out for staying. 

Just checked. It's about $80 to pick up at lax and drop off at San Fran.

But it's 400 miles from San Fran to Lax. At 30mpg you would buy about 13.5 gallons of gas or about $35 at the current price of $2.50/ gallon. To save $45 I don't think I'd drive back to LA. Just my humble opinion.

Just checked. It's about $80 to pick up at lax and drop off at San Fran.

But it's 400 miles from San Fran to Lax. At 30mpg you would buy about 13.5 gallons of gas or about $35 at the current price of $2.50/ gallon. To save $45 I don't think I'd drive back to LA. Just my humble opinion.

Agreed. I had only checked hertz so far, already set up on then for booking as a TA, they wanted close to $500. That's why we were going to drive back.