I use an Equal-i-zer, 4- point hitch and it has worked well. It can be noisy in slow turns but I look at that as knowing it's working. The hitch requires the use of an Equal-i-zer ball that is sold separately. The bolts on the hitch head and ball also require some high tightening torques but all I did was set up the hitch and then take the hitch head to a local RV dealer who torqued them for me for $20. Much cheaper than buying the tools I will likely only use once or twice in my life.

It really depends on your needs.  I have used an Equalizer, a Reese Dual Cam, and a ProPride hitch.  All of which are good hitches.  My old TT was 8200 pounds dry.  It pulled okay with the Equalizer but had a little sway.  I then tried out the Reese Dual Cam and it helped to greatly reduce the sway.  But once the TT was fully loaded, neither the Equalizer nor the Reese could handle it.  I had to step up to the ProPride, which eliminated the sway.  

If you can't get the sway or handling under control with cheaper hitches, then the Hensley or ProPride may be worth the higher cost, but otherwise you're fine with an Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam.

The ProRide and Hensley are very similar and everyone who has used one says they're well worth the money. I know I've seen them on RV forums' "for sale" pages- used for less money than new. If you can fall into one of those, I'd say jump on it.

Otherwise, I'd likely only opt for the Equal-i-zer® brand hitch. Make sure it's not a knock off.

BUT... I went straight from a pop-up to a fifth wheel, so all of this is hearsay and me spending your money. :)

The ProRide and Hensley are very similar and everyone who has used one says they're well worth the money. I know I've seen them on RV forums' "for sale" pages- used for less money than new. If you can fall into one of those, I'd say jump on it.

Otherwise, I'd likely only opt for the Equal-i-zer® brand hitch. Make sure it's not a knock off.

BUT... I went straight from a pop-up to a fifth wheel, so all of this is hearsay and me spending your money. :)

Haha... you're too funny  :lol:

• 1 month later...

We're leaning towards the ProPride (because we have a short wheelbase)...but we think the camper we'll purchase will weigh 7000 lbs loaded, so we're wondering if the ProPride is not overkill.   We don't want an Equalizer...but may consider something in-between... :huh:

Nacole, pm'd you earlier. Do you have a hitch from the old trailer? I've read a lot about those Armada's and seem that people think they are really stable, some say more so than a suburban. If you saved yours maybe try it for a short trip and see how it does. I got my drawtite weight distribution hitch on craigs for a song, like 100 bucks and it is like new.

Hensley, Equalizer, ProPride... thoughts on which is best?  And, does an expensive hitch really make a huge difference?  Dry weight of trailer will be 6,000 lbs to 7,000 lbs.

ProPride, and yes it makes a difference.

Nacole, pm'd you earlier. Do you have a hitch from the old trailer? I've read a lot about those Armada's and seem that people think they are really stable, some say more so than a suburban. If you saved yours maybe try it for a short trip and see how it does. I got my drawtite weight distribution hitch on craigs for a song, like 100 bucks and it is like new.

No, we sold it with the hybrid.

ProPride, and yes it makes a difference.

Figured you'd say this :)