Our Marathon Weekend at the Fort 2015

Count me in too!

Hi Jason!

These trip reports make me miss tent camping! We are doing the 5k in a couple of weeks. We waited too long to register for the kids fun runs, but my wife, daughter, and I are doing the 5k together. My mother-in-law will stay in the room with our 2 year old son. Pretty amazing that Andy could do a 1/2-one day and the full the next!

Good for you guys!  I enjoy a good walk, but the only running I do is chasing after my 3 "boys"!

I'm in.  Better late than never.

Welcome!  Hey, the trip report is late.....

I'm in.  Great job so far.

I love the boys' "Run Dad" t-shirts with the moustache.  Very well done.  Did you make those yourselves?

TCD

Thanks, TCD.  The shirts were a group effort here at home a few years ago.  That year Andy ran with a mustache themed shirt and hat.  My shirt says "Run Andy".  The florescent shirts make us easy to spot.  In fact, we were standing in direct sunlight that first year outside AK waiting for him to run by and some other spectators either moved or shielded their eyes from our glow!

Count me in as one missing tent camping!

Parts of it we love, that is why we want to get a pop up. We like hearing the crickets and some of the tent feel.  But, I want a door.   I would also like an indoor table and little counter to cook with my panini or use a coffee pot.   :camp1:

Back to the report!

Sunday was to be our last night at the Fort that trip so we had a few more things to accomplish.  We shopped at the Settlement and the boys played on the playground.  Then we went to the beach and chilled (literally) until the fireworks.  The boys loved playing in the sand in the dark.  We stayed for the Electric Water Pageant even though we had to run to the tree line to get out of the rain.  It pretty much rained the rest of the night.

Our tent stayed nice and dry inside, but everything outside was really wet for our Monday morning pack up. We loaded everything up and stopped by the Meadow on the way out for a few last souvenirs.  We had a good, if sad because of leaving, trip home.  We spread everything out in the garage to dry.  It rained at home for the next 3 days so it took a week for everything to dry enough to be put up.  Not sure when we will get back to the Fort, but whenever it is, it can't be soon enough!

Nope, don't miss tent camping.

My last tent camping trip ended in rain that turned to sleet and then to snow. My fingers hurt by the time we got done packing up.

Yep... our last tent trip was the surprise (birthday) trip to the Fort last February; it was freezing and wet.  We actually left early because it was too tough at night with our youngest (who had just turned 2); I was up all night making sure that he was covered/warm.  Yuck :(

My last tent camping trip ended in rain that turned to sleet and then to snow. My fingers hurt by the time we got done packing up.

OUCH!!!

Great report.

Ragland Road you had to mention Ragland Road

Heaven on Earth - Baby back ribs tossed in a Guinness glaze. Our favorite "sharing plate", getting harder to "share".

Thanks.  I had the bangers and mash with beef stew.  It was amazing.  Andy had this platter o'meat that was divine.  He'll have to pop on and elaborate on it.  All I remember right now is that it had black and white pudding.  Blood sausage tastes so much better than it sounds!

Z loves the sand in the dark too! Why is it so much cooler than sand during the day?

Thanks for sharing with us.

I think I had fussed so much at them about getting dirty at the site right before we were going to go eat or shop that they enjoyed just being let go. (Why do I feel the need to find a mini Elsa to put here? Must fight urge.....)  

Just Caught Up And It Is Over, Bummer. I Am Curious About Your Paninni (Sp) Maker And How You Use It And Meal Ideas.

Our panini is a Wolfgang Puck so it is great quality and heavy duty.  Someday when we have a camper we will cook more, but for now with limited space, the panini is the best one trick pony for quick, cheap meals.  When we are camping we buy frozen croissant, egg and sausage or pancake sausage type sandwiches and keep them in the cooler.  They thaw, but stay cold.  With the top and bottom heating at the same time it crisps the outside and perfectly heats the inside.  It also works well on frozen chicken patties.  We have to put a plate under the drip spout (lost the cup thingy) when we do the precooked hamburger patties because of meat juices. Once they come off toss on buns for a minute to toast. One time my MIL brought a leftover English pastie they had gotten at that British place in Kissimmee - threw it on - perfect.  Reheats GAG chicken, too.  It is just a really good sandwich maker/toaster.  I just don't recommend using it to toast peanut butter and jelly.  Serious mess!

How many sandwiches can it make? I am going to do some pinterest searching tonight. You have really peaked my interest and inner cook.

Depends.  Ours is pretty big and could do 4 sandwiches.  My parents have a small one that would only do 2.  I guess it is really like the old George Foreman grills except with the lid attached side centers it doesn't squish out your toppings.  Have fun!  Don't forget burritos!

Our panini is a Wolfgang Puck so it is great quality and heavy duty.  Someday when we have a camper we will cook more, but for now with limited space, the panini is the best one trick pony for quick, cheap meals.  When we are camping we buy frozen croissant, egg and sausage or pancake sausage type sandwiches and keep them in the cooler.  They thaw, but stay cold.  With the top and bottom heating at the same time it crisps the outside and perfectly heats the inside.  It also works well on frozen chicken patties.  We have to put a plate under the drip spout (lost the cup thingy) when we do the precooked hamburger patties because of meat juices. Once they come off toss on buns for a minute to toast. One time my MIL brought a leftover English pastie they had gotten at that British place in Kissimmee - threw it on - perfect.  Reheats GAG chicken, too.  It is just a really good sandwich maker/toaster.  I just don't recommend using it to toast peanut butter and jelly.  Serious mess!

I'm really going to have to try using one of these things!!  Sounds perfect, for the one (that would be me) who doesn't cook... haha ;)