And this is why I keep entering these contests.  What an amazingly cool experience this must have been!  Click through to the photo gallery to see even more pictures.

If you remember our “Haunt Your Disney Side” contest, the grand prize was an experience only Disney Parks could deliver – a private party inside the Haunted Mansion followed by an overnight stay in Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park. Our winners, The Kummer family from Florida, recently joined us for a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we wanted to share with readers.

HMC750381-613x922.jpg

The Krummers kicked off their dream Disney Side celebration with an unforgettable after-hours party inside the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom Park. Their visit included a special performance by the Cadaver Dans, visits from spirits and late-night snacks inside the attraction.

HMC750382THUMB.jpg HMC750383THUMB.jpg
HCS7069981-100x100.jpg
HCS7069984-100x100.jpg
HCS7069974-100x100.jpg
HCS7069983-100x100.jpg
HCS7069982-100x100.jpg
HCS7069980-100x100.jpg

After the spooky Haunted Mansion visit, the family headed to Cinderella Castle where Major Domo welcomed the family with a special proclamation. The Krummers spent the night in the Castle Suite – decorated especially for the occasion.

http://youtu.be/sjH71C1WCPc

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/02/haunt-your-disney-side-winners-celebrate-with-once-in-a-lifetime-experience-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Email reply...

Hello!Thank you for your email!At this time, we do not have events planned for the next few months! We are stilllooking at [planning] for this year's Food and Wine Festival. there are no details atthis time. As for Dining locations Hosting special events, these are at a locations discretionas to whether they host an event or not. Thank you again for your email!Have a wonderful day!TABLES in Wonderland

I was thinking the same thing.

And I really hope not as it saves us a TON of money.

Maybe the super-high priced special events were getting harder to fill (although somehow I doubt that) or maybe their department got cut and they don't have the staff or budget to organize/coordinate lavish events like they used do?

They probably figured they could make more money by upping the cost of TIW and blocking out things.  More money to the bottom line without any effort on their part.  It's the Disney way.

TCD

Indeed!

TiW has always been kind of a weird little entity, and they've been scaling back events for the last couple of years at least.  They have their own website, but it's never been very good and has always seemed like someone just slapped it together.  It just changed again not too long ago, and it doesn't even look like it really belongs to the Disney brand. They've always sent out emails that again, just looked like someone slapped them together.  They have also always replied really promptly and personally to any email I've ever sent.

Knowing how Disney compartmentalizes many of their departments so that they essentially run like separate companies, it makes me think that TiW is now just a couple of people in a basement somewhere.  8)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, when they first opened it up to Passholders, they were woefully unprepared, and it was a pain to even get on as they couldn't print them at Guest Relations.

Now, at least you can purchase one right on the spot.

But I found my December experience interesting. I'm not sure if you saw that in my TR. Disney apparently updated the new computer system but didn't update the TIW system to match. Could it be on the way out? 

I would love to hear your review of that book.

It sounds a bit harsh.

TCD

Well, the book was a little harsh - but when you compare what the author talks about to the comments by Fiends over the years they seem to match in many ways.  The book is dated and really only covers the time period from Eisner taking over until just before he left.  I found it an enjoyable read, but like I said - dated.  They really showed how Disney changed after Eisner took over to a company that only cared about profits.  Things I never knew were that under Eisner Disney was heavily into adult entertainment under ownership of Companies like Miramax Films and as a heavy investor in cable TV pay per view (soft pictures of kitties) providers.  I know that under Iger divested Disney of Miramax, but don't know about the other holdings in the adult arena.

The book also talks about changes in the theme parks where employee head count was reduced to the point that in the authors view many rides/attractions are so understaffed as to be unsafe at times.  Through interviews with (then) current and former cast members they provided many examples of what they considered "unsafe".

They interviews law enforcement and gave many examples of Disney covering their "image" rather than report crimes to the Sheriff's Office.

All in all a good book for a Disney fan, but like I say - dated material. 

But, with that being said i can still see similar things being talked about so I'm willing to bet the Disney identified by the author still exists.