You're correct, the tongue weight will only go up. You can lessen how much it goes up by careful and deliberate loading, but I doubt you'll ever see at or less than what is advertised. From what I understand, the weight listed is without battery or propane in the tanks (though, the tanks themselves are accounted for). I think a scale is a good plan and you should also plan on spending the < $20 for weights at scales once you have the camper. Usually you don't want to go less than 10% tongue/hitch weight. Maybe talk to Sean at Pro-Ride to see if he has any suggestions since his hitch eliminates sway.

Yeah... Sean said that the hitch will help distribute the weight, so he doesn't think we'll have any trouble. 

Running the calculations on the trailer specs you provided they show hitch weights of 12%-13% of the trailer dry weight. This leads me to believe they might be the dry weights as manufacturers try to shoot for a hitch weight of  10%-15%  of the trailer dry weight. With the GVW's you provided and keeping the same 12%-13% ratio you would have potential hitch weights of 1000-1100 lbs on a fully loaded trailer. To keep it at 910 lbs or less you would need to keep the trailer under 7500 lbs for a 12% ratio and under 7000 lbs for a 13% ratio. However these numbers depend a lot on how the weight is distributed in the trailer.

Since you say the dealer is willing to weigh the trailer to get the hitch weight I would wait and work with those numbers since they reflect your trailer with all options installed which dry weights do not.

So I asked, and neither dealer would/could weight the campers.  One did offer to put a hitch on it and allow us to take a test tow... we are considering this.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test tow that bad boy right to the nearest scales. :D