Availability Issues with Cable Modems?

Has anyone else tried this and able to confirm that it works automatically and with various brands of cable modems?

It would be a nice time saver if we can just bring our own modem.

I'm curious too, especially since there's a chance I'll be working from the Fort some this fall.

Netgear sells a device (n300) that converts wifi to cat5. Might be worth $45 to have a fall-back plan. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one of those set up at my day job and well, it annoys the you know what out of me.  It always needs rebooted.  I also own one that I've used before at other campgrounds.  I've had a 50% success rate with it regarding whether or not it can stay connected.

The only other good option I can think of (and one we've used) is to get a USB-based LTE modem and a Cradlepoint router, which the modem plugs into and outputs both CAT5 and wifi. It's a good option that works most everywhere. My wife was able to work on the road all the way from Raleigh to the Fort without interruption. I would not want to take the risk of them being out at the Post, they were out for 3 days or so on our last trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only other good option I can think of (and one we've used) is to get a USB-based LTE modem and a Cradlepoint router, which the modem plugs into and outputs both CAT5 and wifi. It's a good option that works most everywhere. My wife was able to work on the road all the way from Raleigh to the Fort without interruption. I would not want to take the risk of them being out at the Post, they were out for 3 days or so on our last trip. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this so you can connect iPad like devicesthat don't have a USB connection?

Doesn't the USB modem just plug into a usb port on a laptop?

His laptop is locked down and doesn't allow a USB-based network connection. He has to have a CAT5 connection. But yes, for our purposes it allowed multiple devices to use the connection that normally would be available for the host-PC only. We used this setup for our only internet connection for the whole house for a couple of years (and my wife was a telecommuter!).

His laptop is locked down and doesn't allow a USB-based network connection. He has to have a CAT5 connection. But yes, for our purposes it allowed multiple devices to use the connection that normally would be available for the host-PC only. We used this setup for our only internet connection for the whole house for a couple of years (and my wife was a telecommuter!). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

I take it you have an unlimited data plan on the Broadband modem, and a strong cell signal at your house.

• 4 weeks later...

Shannon

Did you happen to bring a modem from home to try on your recent visit?   I know ya'll weren't here for just a fort visit but thought I would ask. Love your new rig by the way.  Did you ever get your sewer connection to work on the new ABS connections in 900 loop? 

No, never ended up switching providers at home so I'm still on DSL, so no cable modem. And no, the connection was never "secure", so I ended up dumping, pulling the elbow and capping the inlet each time instead of leaving it hooked up. Didn't want all that sewer gas leakage around the bad fitting elbow, or to take the risk that it come out and dump gray water all over. Was really surprised MTP didn't sell donuts, but I'm not sure it would have helped anyhow. Finally, thanks! We are really excited about the new moho!

My autistic son is a YouTube fanatic and has no concept that there must be an actual "connection" before it works.  To be be safe, we put together a kit for the camper similar to the one provided by Disney plus a wireless router.  We have used it on several trips without any problems - most recently in the fall of 2014.

Just to follow-up. CM Ray at MTP says that the Fort has REALLY stocked up on modems since November and that he hasn't seen them run out since. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. Since we are not planning any park visits our next trip a reliable high speed connection has become more important.