Possible short in the wiring - suggestions on where to start?

When we opened up our trailer this spring we had signs of mice for the first time in 8 years of camping with a trailer.  Everything worked fine on our first, weeklong, trip to Virginia Beach in April.

The trailer has been in the driveway for weeks and was plugged into shore power as we got ready for this weekend.  Luckily, camping close to home.

I put the trailer on the site last night, set things up, disconnected the truck, etc.  Went to turn on the water pump to wash my hands and I could tell from the sound the batteries were nearly dead (two 6v golf cart batteries).  No big deal, I figure I blew the fuse between the shore power and the battery charger.  Got a new deep cycle battery, went to connect it today and I can't keep the 40 amp fuses from blowing.

Should I disconnect the new battery first?  Put a new fuse in and then connect battery?  Or should i try another fuse?

Also wondering if I should pull the other smaller fuses, put in the 40 amp fuse and see if there is a particular circuit that might be causing it to short?

I see a holiday weekend spent on the trailer floor with a flashlight checking out circuits for signs of mice eating them.

Or maybe using flashlights and drinking beer all weekend instead.  Tell everyone to use the campground bathrooms. Starting to like my tent even better.