Cruising on the Fantasy with the WBI Family

Thank you, I like that one too!

Sorry to hear that, we are all good about tasting new things and cruises are great for that. 

It was a great time!

WBI

Yes, my husband will try just about anything.... you might get something different down me (one time) if you don't tell me what it is.  When I was child, that's how mom got us to eat venison; she used it in some chili and didn't tell us kids.  Of course, after I found out, I was upset that I had eaten Bambi  :rolleyes:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop it with the pirate costumes. Just stop. Tell CP she looks awesome. You guys did good. Where did you get these? Where did Ws come from? I see a Disney cruise in our near future and I'm gonna nee

Yup we did it!   After wanting to for years we finally went on our first Disney Cruise.   I know there are a ton of good trip reports I need to get caught up on but I wanted to get this one started wh

I agree!   I'll bet WBI bought all of the costumes, and I'll further bet that he had pirate makeup on like Captain Jack, but he's just not showing us the photos.   TCD

Tuesday, June 2nd

Once again we woke up to room service!  (that's the life), no coffee on the balcony this morning though, it was raining.

W decided to throw away something in the diaper genie.  Did I mention they give you one in your room if you request a crib?

June2.jpg

June2%202.jpg

W is addicted to the Hot Dog Song now:

June2%203.jpg

I assume we are getting close to Grand Cayman but you can't see anything.

June2%204.jpg

June2%205.jpg

We got ready and headed to Cabana's for a hot breakfast.

On the way I showed W this door and he loved it, he knew exactly where to put his card.

June2%206.jpg

June2%209.jpg

Breakfast pictures:

June2%2010.jpg

June2%2011.jpg

June2%2013.jpg

After breakfast we went to check out the shops.

W decided he liked the pillow pets:

June2%2014.jpg

We ended up getting him a Captain Mickey pillow.

But while shopping someone walked by:

June2%2015.jpg

Tropical Donald!

June2%2016.jpg

We hopped in the short line so we could meet him.

June2%2020.jpg

Then we stopped by the room and checked out the view:

June2%2023.jpg

June2%2024.jpg

June2%2025.jpg

As you can see the weather wasn't looking too good for our Grand Cayman day.

Our last time here we did at Stingray City excursion but there was a storm causing rough seas.  We made it to the reef area and were allowed in the water to meet stingrays but we were the only boat that day, the authorities wouldn't allow any other boats to unload after that and they canceled the snorkeling portion of our excursion.  So I Grand Cayman hasn't worked out well for us.

Last time though we did enjoy having a tropical drink on balcony near the ship, and sampling rum cakes at various stores, so that was our plan today, the rum cakes were even on the LOF.

But first more balcony pictures:

June2%2026.jpg

Looking up:

June2%2027.jpg

Looking aft:

June2%2028.jpg

More of Grand Cayman, you can see tender boats waiting to get to the ship.

June2%2029.jpg

This brings me to a question, why won't Grand Cayman build a pier already?!  Tender boats are annoying.  They claim that they don't want to damage the coral reef around the island, I say they are being cheap.  I mean come on how much reef would they damage to build a pier, not much.  And on the other hand why can't they build a floating pier?  They have floating airports why not a floating pier.  Why do the cruise lines put up with this when there are so many other places that have deep water piers?  Also just an FYI to build the deep water pier at Castaway Cay Disney had to dredge and blast the coral reef and rock to get the 36ft they needed. 

Sorry I'll move on.

June2%2030.jpg

Here's a shot of a tender, I don't think you can tell but it is raining steadily at this point.

June2%2031.jpg

June2%2032.jpg

June2%2033.jpg

June2%2034.jpg

Soon it was time to move on, we had a date with a bunch of princesses.

Do you remember that when we boarded we signed up to meet the princesses?  They assigned us a time like a fast pass.

So we headed to the atrium and found them:

First up, the Walt Disney Company saver herself, Cinderella

June2%2022.jpg

Then Ariel, she remembered W from the day before but he was too shy today.

June2%2055.jpg

She tried some peek-a-boo with him but he wasn't having it.

June22060.jpg

June22062.jpg

That's 30 pictures, we'll meet some more princess in the next post.

WBI

Mickey waffles!!  Now those I LOVE  :lol:

Donald... do they have characters who just walk around to say hi or are most of them (like the princesses) where they are in one place and you come to them?  

Room service... I think you can get Mickey Bars in your room?  Did you get a chance to order one :)

If you get off the boat, are you assigned a time to come back or is like the Fort where you simply wait for a boat to the MK?  The last stop you had a dock... are people allowed to come/go as much as they'd like?  So sightsee in the morning, back for lunch on the ship and then back out for more sighseeing?   How long do you usually get at a stop?

I'm going to post another quick update.

Our next princess was Tianna who we had met a few nights before also.

June2%2064.jpg

Then it was time for Belle, but at this point W had reached his princess limit so he wasn't too cooperative.

June2%2066.jpg

June2%2067.jpg

June2%2068.jpg

June2%2069.jpg

Up next we had our ticket to meet Elsa, but I guess since she's a queen she gets her own room so we headed that way:

June2%2070.jpg

Watching the rain:

June2%2071.jpg

Artwork in the hall:

June2%2072.jpg

June2%2073.jpg

Elsa was setup in Animator's Palate and they had snow scenes on all of the screens.

June2%2074.jpg

June2%2075.jpg

June2%2076.jpg

W was getting tired:

June2%2079.jpg

June2%2080.jpg

June2%2081.jpg

After meeting the ice queen we went back to the shops to pickup that Mickey pillow and look who walked by:

June22083.jpg

The head cheese himself walked by and stopped for pictures with us.

June2%2084.jpg

Mickey is by far W's favorite.

June2%2086.jpg

June2%2087.jpg

June2%2082.jpg

With the rain outside we weren't sure what to do next. 

We ended up back in the room, where W and I would hang out while CP went to the gym for a run.  The plan was to watch a movie and hopefully let W nap.

Here's the prince enjoying some popcorn like a boss:

June2%2035.jpg

Checking the weather:

June2%2036.jpg

June2%2037.jpg

W and settled in and he fell asleep, then I tried to watch a movie that CP started the night before but I couldn't find it.

Then I figured out that a whole section of movies was missing, that was odd but I thought maybe they couldn't watch some of them while in Port or something.  So I found something else and ordered some room service.

June2%2088.jpg

Steak sandwich, a cheese plate and more wings I think:

June2%2089.jpg

That sandwich was great!  I would eat it again in a heartbeat and I'm sad I never got the chance to order it again.

About the time the food arrived so did CP, I told her about the missing movies, and then I decided to call.

They walked me through re-booting the system, but no luck.

Then a technician showed up. I told him how a whole categories of movies, labled "Movies" was missing.  He wasn't sure what was going on but had the entire ship movie system reset but that didn't help.

He also saw that my remote was broken, I hadn't complained to anyone but some of the buttons were broken off.  He left and quickly returned with a new one and some new information.

Turns out that the movies we found the night before were only for the crew and they weren't sure why they showed up the day before.  I guess that's what happened because I know they weren't there the first day and we never saw them again.  So there you have it the crew gets a bigger selection of movies.  Oh well, we had plenty to watch and plenty of other things to entertain us, no big deal.

W slept through all of this but soon he woke up and enjoyed a snack:

June2%2090.jpg

That's 30 pictures.

So do you think we'll attempt to go to shore in an open tender boat in the middle of rain storm?

WBI

Yes, my husband will try just about anything.... you might get something different down me (one time) if you don't tell me what it is. When I was child, that's how mom got us to eat venison; she used it in some chili and didn't tell us kids. Of course, after I found out, I was upset that I had eaten Bambi :rolleyes:

We used to do that same thing with venison to people in our family, it was always good for a laugh.

Mickey waffles!!  Now those I LOVE  :lol:

Donald... do they have characters who just walk around to say hi or are most of them (like the princesses) where they are in one place and you come to them?  

Room service... I think you can get Mickey Bars in your room?  Did you get a chance to order one :)

If you get off the boat, are you assigned a time to come back or is like the Fort where you simply wait for a boat to the MK?  The last stop you had a dock... are people allowed to come/go as much as they'd like?  So sightsee in the morning, back for lunch on the ship and then back out for more sighseeing?   How long do you usually get at a stop?

We LOVE Mickey waffles!

Did I tell you that they weren't always out on the buffet but you could ask for them, I don't know why they hid them but some days they did.

There's a schedule for the characters on where they'll be and what times, so you do go to them.  But when the characters were walking to their spot if it wasn't crowded they would always stop and talk or take pictures, not like at Disneyworld.  I think they also do random characters that just show up  but the only one we saw like that was Peter Pan.

When you get off, they scan your card so they know who is off.  You are not assigned a time to come back, you can come and go as you please.  With the tenders they just waited until one was full and then it left and another pulled up.  You could get off, get back on for lunch, and go back out, it really depends on what excursions you have scheduled and how long you'll be in port, which varies.  This cruise didn't seem to have long port stays, I think Grand Cayman we didn't arrive until 10:30am and we left at 5:30pm, but I think that's a really short day.  At CC we were off the ship at 8:30am.

WBI

Man, it's good to be W.

That kid is having the time of his short life.

It stinks about the rain y'all had for the Cayman Islands.

If it makes you feel any better, on our one and only western DCL cruise, we couldn't even anchor off of Grand Cayman because of the whether, and we had a rainy sea day instead.  So, I've never been.

TCD

We used to do that same thing with venison to people in our family, it was always good for a laugh.

We LOVE Mickey waffles!

Did I tell you that they weren't always out on the buffet but you could ask for them, I don't know why they hid them but some days they did.

There's a schedule for the characters on where they'll be and what times, so you do go to them.  But when the characters were walking to their spot if it wasn't crowded they would always stop and talk or take pictures, not like at Disneyworld.  I think they also do random characters that just show up  but the only one we saw like that was Peter Pan.

When you get off, they scan your card so they know who is off.  You are not assigned a time to come back, you can come and go as you please.  With the tenders they just waited until one was full and then it left and another pulled up.  You could get off, get back on for lunch, and go back out, it really depends on what excursions you have scheduled and how long you'll be in port, which varies.  This cruise didn't seem to have long port stays, I think Grand Cayman we didn't arrive until 10:30am and we left at 5:30pm, but I think that's a really short day.  At CC we were off the ship at 8:30am.

WBI

Okay... so it would be tough to come back for lunch on the ship.  Sounds like once you're off.... you should plan to be off until you want to come back for good.   Bummer that it rained that day for y 'all.   

Looking forward to your report on CC.  As I said... that place looks so neat to me.  It's the one reason I booked a cruise for us.  Oh... I think I forgot to mention that.  I did actually book a Disney cruise for us, back in 2011.  They had a really good price (at least, it looked good to me.  I think it was just under $1300 for the three of us, three at the time).  I decided that I would muster through (aka take some sleeping pills and maybe start drinking) because my husband really wants to do a cruise.  Plus, I think it was only for 3 nights with 2 stops (the bahamas and CC).  No days at sea, just travel at night so I figured I could drug myself up to get through those.. haha :)    Well, I booked the cruise and about 5 weeks later found out I was pregnant with our son.  We had actually been going through fertility treatments, so it was the one time in my life I bought the travel insurance.  Funny part is, after finding out that I was pregnant I was still planning to go on the cruise, even though I would have been 32 or 34 weeks along.  No joke.  I had NO idea that you couldn't take a cruise that far into your pregnancy.  I just happened to be mentioning our cruise to a friend (who had gone before) and explained that I would be pretty pregnant at that point.  She asked, "how pregnant?" and then proceeded to advise me on the policy of cruise ships not allowing you to travel in your third trimester.  So yep, I actually pushed the "buy tickets" button and had talked myself into a cruise and then "big mama" was ready to show up with her big ol' belly...but was told no.  So see...I tried.  Guess it's just not meant to be  :rolleyes:

Score on the Mickey meet n greet.

Why didn't they put Anna in with her sister? They'd have space, no?

I don't know why Anna wasn't there and I'm pretty sure I saw that she was there in earlier cruises. 

Okay... so it would be tough to come back for lunch on the ship.  Sounds like once you're off.... you should plan to be off until you want to come back for good.   Bummer that it rained that day for y 'all.   

Looking forward to your report on CC.  As I said... that place looks so neat to me.  It's the one reason I booked a cruise for us.  Oh... I think I forgot to mention that.  I did actually book a Disney cruise for us, back in 2011.  They had a really good price (at least, it looked good to me.  I think it was just under $1300 for the three of us, three at the time).  I decided that I would muster through (aka take some sleeping pills and maybe start drinking) because my husband really wants to do a cruise.  Plus, I think it was only for 3 nights with 2 stops (the bahamas and CC).  No days at sea, just travel at night so I figured I could drug myself up to get through those.. haha :)    Well, I booked the cruise and about 5 weeks later found out I was pregnant with our son.  We had actually been going through fertility treatments, so it was the one time in my life I bought the travel insurance.  Funny part is, after finding out that I was pregnant I was still planning to go on the cruise, even though I would have been 32 or 34 weeks along.  No joke.  I had NO idea that you couldn't take a cruise that far into your pregnancy.  I just happened to be mentioning our cruise to a friend (who had gone before) and explained that I would be pretty pregnant at that point.  She asked, "how pregnant?" and then proceeded to advise me on the policy of cruise ships not allowing you to travel in your third trimester.  So yep, I actually pushed the "buy tickets" button and had talked myself into a cruise and then "big mama" was ready to show up with her big ol' belly...but was told no.  So see...I tried.  Guess it's just not meant to be  :rolleyes:

CC was really nice!

That's crazy about you booking a cruise before, you'll have to do it again one day.  I know about the pregnancy cruising  limits, we looked at cruises before we had W and planned to go on one but that stopped us before we ever booked it.  I'm glad you had insurance on yours, that could have been expensive.

Man, it's good to be W.

That kid is having the time of his short life.

It stinks about the rain y'all had for the Cayman Islands.

If it makes you feel any better, on our one and only western DCL cruise, we couldn't even anchor off of Grand Cayman because of the whether, and we had a rainy sea day instead.  So, I've never been.

TCD

W is living the life!

Man so you couldn't even get off the ship.  Honestly the weather didn't bother us too much we had plenty to do and we didn't have any excursions either.

WBI

I left off where we were enjoying some room service watching the rain in Grand Cayman.

We went up to Deck 11 and got CP some lunch and watched the rain some more.

Then we decided it was now or never if we wanted to go ashore.

So we headed down to deck 1, put on our ponchos and boarded a tender boat.

June2%2091.jpg

Everyone huddled in the center to avoid the rain but that wasn't an issue since it wasn't crowded.

June2%2092.jpg

June2%2093.jpg

June2%2094.jpg

W was enjoying looking all around trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

June2%2095.jpg

And we're off:

June2%2096.jpg

June2%2097.jpg

June2%2098.jpg

June2%2099.jpg

June2%20100.jpg

Look at all this rain:

June2%20101.jpg

Now that we were out here the rain actually got worse.

June2%20102.jpg

Don't worry though the boat wasn't rocking at all, even with the weather it wasn't rough in this bay area.

June2%20103.jpg

June2%20104.jpg

Once we docked we loaded W in the stroller and put his poncho over it all before rolling off the boat.

June2%20105.jpg

June220106.jpg

Once in the little tourist area we found lots of people huddled under canopies.  Turns out lots of excursions were still going on.

We also found a small lake had formed and we had to cross it, lol.

Then we darted in the Tortuga store looking for rum cakes.

We found them but there was wet poncho people everywhere and only a couple rum cakes to sample, not like the old days.  So we passed and headed out towards the street.

Across the street we went a mall area but we didn't want to do any shopping, so we thought about hitting Margaritaville.  CP went to scope it out and found its up stairs and was super loud, like Senor Frogs type atmosphere.  So we decided to walk down the street towards the place we found last time.  We found out its now a jewelry store, fail. 

Walking down the street on flooded sidewalks in the pouring rain wasn't too much fun so we decided to head back to the ship. 

We backed tracked through all the flooded areas until we got to the big covered area where all the excursions meet. 

We had some good laughs about how wet we were and how exciting our day trip had been, then quickly got back on a tender boat.

June2%20107.jpg

June2%20108.jpg

June2%20109.jpg

It was still raining pretty hard.

June2%20110.jpg

June2%20111.jpg

June2%20112.jpg

June2%20113.jpg

It's a good thing I bought the underwater camera.

June2%20114.jpg

June2%20115.jpg

June2%20116.jpg

June2%20117.jpg

June2%20118.jpg

After that we boarded the ship and gave our wet ponchos back.  We had intended to keep them but I didn't feel like messing with a wet poncho.  Funny thing was an old man squeezed in the elevator with us still wearing his, and was bragging about it saving him $8 from buying it in the park.  Good job guy I wish I had kept mine but we did keep W's. lol

Well that's 29 pictures.

Up next we put on some dry clothes and go looking for some fun.

WBI

Wow, that was a lot of rain.

That didn't look or sound like much fun.

Props to the guy who spent $$$ on a DCL cruise and got a "free" poncho out of the deal.

TCD

Yes it was, a lot more rain than the day before, but we made the most of it.  As you know there is tons to do on the ship so it didn't slow us down too much.  Plus we were laughing and splashing through the streets of water, we'll never forget that.  It also made us really want to be in some sunshine by the pool.  I think everyone on the ship was praying for a sunny sea day.

Yeah that guy was all about "saving" money.

Not lookin like Magical rain. Y'all still had smiles on your faces. That's good. And, W in the poncho...priceless.

That rain wasn't too magical, but you are right we had smiles on our faces and its always fun to watch W poke his head out of the poncho so it wasn't all bad.

What a shame you've been to GC twice and not had a good weather day either time.  It's a great island with so much to do and see.

That's what I've heard and safe too.  Actually the first time we went the weather was beautiful, it was just the seas that were horrible so they shut down all of the water activities.  Luckily I still got to see a big chunk of the island and stingray city before they ran us out of the water.

WBI

I have never had any desire to go on a cruise but your report makes it sound pretty good despite all the rain.  It seems relaxing even with an 18 month old.

W looks so cute with his head peeking out of that poncho. :)

Cruises are great!

They let you relax or stay busy whatever you want whenever you want.  We are big fans!

Thanks!

WBI

Time for an update.

I left off with us getting back on the ship after a wet tour of Grand Cayman.

We got in some dry clothes and I think went in search of more food.

This is in the atrium under the Mini statue.

June2%20119.jpg

In the atrium we ran into some chipmunks again, I feel like I already posted these pictures...

June2%20120.jpg

June2%20121.jpg

June2%20122.jpg

W is still not a fan of chip and dale.

June2%20123.jpg

Then we went to the D Lounge

June2%20125.jpg

CP did some cart wheels and W ran around having a good time.

June2%20126.jpg

This room has some cool lights on the walls but it sure makes it hard on pictures.

June2%20127.jpg

June2%20131.jpg

June2%20132.jpg

June2%20133.jpg

June2%20134.jpg

June2%20135.jpg

W loved the stage and could have ran around up there all day.

June2%20136.jpg

I'll stop here and we'll have dinner in the next update.

WBI

Lol at the sheer terror on his face as he reaches to you to rescue him from the giant scary creatures

Yeah he wasn't happy about those chipmunks when they started playing peek-a-boo

I thought you were kidding about cartwheels until I saw the picture!

Yup, CP saw the open area and that means cartwheels, lol.

Oh and I think CP is cool. This is at least the second tr in which she's done cartwheels, she puts chocolate frosting on everything, and she dances like what looks like a monkey there on stage in one of those last pics.

This comment made me literally lol!  I'll let her know, lol.

But I think that monkey looking shot was her in the middle of the Hot Dog Song dance, W's a big fan so every time he wants to dance, his arm starts moving and we all do the hot dog dance.

For second I didn't believe you about the cartwheels, either.  How fun!  My son would have loved to run around that room, too.   :)

Yeah much like the TCD gang in atriums, when CP sees and open area she does cart wheels, and W loves it!

That room was fun to run around, I'm glad they had it open for us.

WBI

It's now Tuesday night and after some fun exploring the ship we went back to the room and got ready for dinner.

Tonight we were back in Animator's Palate.

Tonight was the night when you get to draw a character and it appears in the show.  Because of that they ask you to get there a few minutes early.

It had stopped raining enough for us to venture out on the balcony.

June2%20137.jpg

June2%2047.jpg

On the way to dinner we of course had to stop by the atrium to let W look around and do some dancing, at some point he lost a shoe and got it put back on sitting in Cinderella's chair.

June2%2039.jpg

June2%2040.jpg

June2%2041.jpg

Then we went to dinner. 

I didn't take pictures of our drawings but they weren't the greatest.  We saw the ones on the table next to us and theirs looked amazing, I guess after 6 cruises you figure it out.

Here's W waiting on his food:

June2%2042.jpg

He must have already finished his chips at this point.

June2%2043.jpg

Mickey came out to get the show going.

June2%2044.jpg

Hey that brings up a good question, it some one else's pictures of a different cruise, Sorcer Mickey was actually in the dining room, is he normally here and we just didn't see him?

June2%2045.jpg

June2%2046.jpg

Pretty soon our escargot showed up:

June2%2048.jpg

But evidently we failed on the rest of the food pictures, which is surprising.  I do have W's desert of build your own cupcakes:

June2%2049.jpg

This is mine but I have no clue what it was.

June2%2050.jpg

At some point the show started and I was able to get our drawings:

June2%2051.jpg

We both drew starts on our people without realizing it.

June2%2052.jpg

June2%2053.jpg

After dinner we spoke with our head waiter and told him about our first two nights and how much better the last two nights had been.

After that my memory is failing me, but I believe we went back to the room to change W into his pjs.

We found this tonight:

June2%2056.jpg

Is that a dinosaur?  I think so.

June2%2057.jpg

We also found the couch made up into a bed, that was strange:

June2%2058.jpg

At this point I think we brought W to the It's a Small World Nursery and we went out for a drink, there wasn't a stage show, just a magician or hypnotize guy or something so we skipped it.

Here's some random art in a stairwell:

June2%2059.jpg

I'm pretty sure that tonight we went back to Skyline, but after that I have no clue, I'll have to check my charges for that night to see what we did.

I do know around 11pm we picked up W from the nursery, and we also picked up late night snacks from the adult area again and we all snacked on the bed until late before calling it a night.

Up next a sea day!!!

WBI