Like I said "correctly" : )

Did he did do the blue spring mod for fuel pressure? That's a known injector killer.

I'm not sure.  I will try to call him this weekend and ask him that.  He's not to mechanically inclined and is trusting with what shops tell him.

Thank you... I'll have Tom take a look at those links.  Leasing a truck is not an option and I know he wants to make sure that the truck as four, full-sized, doors as we have two kiddos and need the space.  I don't think color is a huge deal for him.

Thanks everyone (this is Tom)...PGH Friend there are several requirements one being what my wife said is it has to be a crew cab not a quad cab or wannabe 4 door. I have sat in the back seats of those vehicles and I am not torturing someone like that. Next it has to be diesel. I have a gas truck now and it tows fine on flat ground so if I was to go with a gas truck I wouldn't buy another vehicle just to buy one. Most of these trucks have not been bulletproofed or appear to have any work done so that is a cost I have to factor if I buy the 6.0L Ford truck. Some of the trucks that my wife put in links for had some of this stuff done so if done correctly that has to factor in to what price they are asking. I have spoken a local diesel shop and to fix the 6.0L issues completely I am looking at $5k (probably could get down a little cheaper with some negotiation). I made the mistake of driving a 2011 F250 Lariat the other day and "WOW" the power in that thing and the driving of it was very smooth (should be for $43k) but I couldn't resist and wanted to see what was out there. 

Lonestar one of those vehicles was right down the street from us. Thanks for the links. I saw that truck already and I want to go look at it and drive it (it was the Chevy Silverado). I also found this one too:  

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5069307570.html

2006 Ford f250 with  49k miles and asking $23k. Still would have to ensure the 6.0L issues were addressed which pushes me higher in price.

Thanks.  

Also , look at Chevy dealers for Fords and vice versa. Prices may be better because they want them off their lot. I found this one up here.

http://www.burlingtonchevy.com/mobile/Used-2013-Ford-F-250-Burlington-NJ/vd/27325509

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would want to have a really ( and I mean really) good diesel mechanic with me when buying older things.  That is what I did.  It didn't save me from repairs down the road, but it did save me from buying a lemon.

Well my friend is currently broke down in Pennsylvania his duramax was towed to a shop and his camper to a campground. He was supposed to be here in Texas tomorrow. We'll that won't happen. There hoping it's the alternator or battery but they really don't know. The truck just shut down. His is a 06 with around 190,000 or 200,000 miles I can't remember for sure. But thats the problem with buying a high milage diesel the motor is still good but the little stuff can still put you on the side of the road.

6.0 Fords can be good trucks if they are fixed correctly. I have a 06 and had an 05. Both were bulletproofed ahead of problems. I talked to the buyer of the 05 a few months ago, and it is going strong approaching 200k.

If the work was performed correctly I would not hesitate to buy one. With that said those trucks in your links are high priced imo. I paid 16k for my 2006 dually, lariat, cc, 4x4 with 122k on it back in 2010.

I also had a 2003 and 2005 dodge 2500's with the Cummins. I had more problems with them (no engine trouble) than the Fords.

Agreed!!

My 04 6.0 F-250 has had the following:

New turbo

Tuned/upgraded FICM

8 new style injectors

EGR delete

New oil cooler

Blue spring mod

The original injectors were the weak point and most of the other stuff was done to protect them.

Like I said "correctly" : )

Did he did do the blue spring mod for fuel pressure? That's a known injector killer.

I'm not sure. I will try to call him this weekend and ask him that. He's not to mechanically inclined and is trusting with what shops tell him.

Visited my ex-bil this weekend. He did have the blue spring mod done. He is done with the excursion and 6.0s in particular. (His 6.0 work truck let him sit last Tuesday as well). Any way he is going to fix the excursion one last time because he believes he will recoup that cost when he sells it and is looking for another tow vehicle. The excursion still looks brand new so I am sure he will be able to hook some sucker who thinks a good looking vehicle is mechanically sound. He really likes my new silverado 2500 crew cab so we hooked up his camper for him to try out. Didn't even bother to hook up the WDH as my truck barely squatted unlike the excursion. So with that i let him take the set up all over the Biglerville and Gettysburg areas and he wanted to pull it up south mountain pass on U.S. 30. He came back with a smile on his face and said my 6.0 gasser pulled the mountain just as well has his Excursion does. Although he frequently goes to Potter county and encounters larger mountains so he still wants a diesel. He said he wants to get a 5er some day so I told since he wants a diesel to just forget about 2500 and move up to the 3500 for the payload since the diesels eat up about 450-600 lbs of payload on the Silverados.

Sent from my iPhone

Like everyone else said, the devil is in the details.

Some are great and bulletproof, others are a complete headache.

My Father was a diesel mechanic for 33 years, and I can tell you I have seen some crazy things.

On a slightly different topic, I saw someone mention an Eco-boost ford, word to the wise DO NOT USE ANY INJECTORs/FUEL SYSTEM CLEANERS!

The issue is the Turbo's are so close to the Exhaust ports there is no time for the "gunk" to burn up prior to entering the Turbo and it actually has melted a few turbos