so Ill be storing my PUP in the Garage when not in use, question is do those of you with towables use locks of any kind when parked at the Campground? like this

41EJ-KxUkSL.jpg

Do you use locks when traveling like this? locks the coupler to the ball, and subsequenlty, i would then also get the lock that secures the ball/ hitch to the TV

610Ti87uQhS._SX522_.jpg

by no means do i live or plan to camp in a questionable area, but if the opportunity presents itself the right( or wrong) individual will take action.

The Trailer is insured, I have to check if theft is covered, but i assume it is as its financed, but just one of those things....

I park my trailer in the drive when at home. I have a locking hasp pin and always put it on regardless of where I am so it doesn't get lost. I also use one of these since it also doubles as a wheel chock when we are camping.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL75-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B001H494DC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1435887526&sr=8-13&keywords=trimax

When at home I also use a ball lock but haven't bothered with it when I am out camping. This is what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX100-Universal-Die-Cast-couplers/dp/B000OC3Q2I/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=00APQN2BXYEN5BB98WKH

Lastly I use something similar to of these on the hitch receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7030200-Professional-Stainless/dp/B003GBJ3DU/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435887868&sr=1-9&keywords=locking+hitch+pin

None of these will stop a truly dedicated thief but should deter someone from a smash and grab.

I came across this set on amazon while looking, it got all the locks one could need, and they are all keyed alike, I have never heard of this brand, but then again I am new to camping, for under $50 it could be junk? I dunno.... thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ESOAIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CWNGHJ0JEU86&coliid=I1SCF8E159F6W4

7191FzFh-LL._SL1200_.jpg

Why wouldnt you lock it. In this day and age no matter where you are people will steal things. It's not the 70s anymore where you can leave just the screen door shut and go to bed

Why wouldnt you lock it. In this day and age no matter where you are people will steal things. It's not the 70s anymore where you can leave just the screen door shut and go to bed

In related news.... we came home after being out camping since Thursday to find that we didn't shut the back door.

As in... we locked it, but it was actually open 2'.

Given that my laptop was sitting right on the coffee table, I'm pretty sure we didn't shut it tight and the wind from the storms that came through Saturday blew it open.  Thank goodness it's still a pretty safe area to live ...and we have really nosy neighbors.  8)

Now we're just wondering how many chipmunks are hiding out in here.

In related news.... we came home after being out camping since Thursday to find that we didn't shut the back door.

As in... we locked it, but it was actually open 2'.

Given that my laptop was sitting right on the coffee table, I'm pretty sure we didn't shut it tight and the wind from the storms that came through Saturday blew it open.  Thank goodness it's still a pretty safe area to live ...and we have really nosy neighbors.  B)

Now we're just wondering how many chipmunks are hiding out in here.

Aren't those Oh fill in the blank moments fun? B)

A bowl of peanuts on the floor should give a decent chipmunk count.

I wound up getting a baylock TL33, for $30 shipped from Mr. lock via Amazon.com

I have read that i should also lock up the Chains behind the jack that way they cant use them to just drag the trailer to another location to work on it.

when not in use I am not worried about the trailer as it will be in my garage

When it is in use, this is a pop up, so there is the process of breaking it down for travel prior to trying to steal it and hopefully another camper would notice something fishy , but an ounce of prevention goes a a long way in my book.

81vxsYJ5%2BpL._SL1500_.jpg

I came across this set on amazon while looking, it got all the locks one could need, and they are all keyed alike, I have never heard of this brand, but then again I am new to camping, for under $50 it could be junk? I dunno.... thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ESOAIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CWNGHJ0JEU86&coliid=I1SCF8E159F6W4

7191FzFh-LL._SL1200_.jpg

If you put a lock thru the hole where the lever to latch onto the ball is, why do you need that big yellow deal?

If you can't lift the lever, you wouldn't be able to drop the trailer onto a hitch correct?

If you put a lock thru the hole where the lever to latch onto the ball is, why do you need that big yellow deal?

If you can't lift the lever, you wouldn't be able to drop the trailer onto a hitch correct?

A lot of the coupler/hasp lever locks, like mine and the one in the picture, can be overcome with a large pair of bolt cutters or quick smash with a hammer. The better built trailer ball locks on the other hand use barrel locks and require a saw capable of cutting hardened metal or a very large hammer to try and beat it off. I don't consider the lever locks as much protection other than an on the road will be away for a short time type of protection. That is why I have the trailer ball lock and wheel chock lock as both are harder and noisier to overcome allowing myself or a neighbor time to investigate what's going on.   

look under where your trailer connects, there is a bolt that holds the clasp/ lever to the hitch.

about 30 seconds and i don't even have to cut a lock, just unbolt it and pull it off  look at 45 seconds into the video

and a ratchet or drill wont be that loud vs a hammer...

check this out, he shows many locks, not the one i purchased, and how easily they can be defeated, I dont think they tried really hard on thier lock but it shows you the other types out there.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_zz80h_Tc

A lot of the coupler/hasp lever locks, like mine and the one in the picture, can be overcome with a large pair of bolt cutters or quick smash with a hammer. The better built trailer ball locks on the other hand use barrel locks and require a saw capable of cutting hardened metal or a very large hammer to try and beat it off. I don't consider the lever locks as much protection other than an on the road will be away for a short time type of protection. That is why I have the trailer ball lock and wheel chock lock as both are harder and noisier to overcome allowing myself or a neighbor time to investigate what's going on.   

OK, just wondering.

My PUP just sits in the driveway, guess I should think about locking it somehow.

I have a hitch pin lock I bought to lock  my bed extender to the receiver when I took my kayak and we stayed at a hotel.  I also used a chain that I ran thru the scupper holes and locked it to the receiver.

Because supposedly bad guys are using a small ball and just the weight of the coupler on the ball to pull the trailer to somewhere that they can spend time the time to get the lock off. The yellow thing blocks the underside, as well.

---

As for the other parts- my ball mount/hitch was always removed from the vehicle's receiver once I setup. I'm not that bright and happen to like my shins. It was a quick way of protecting them.

And, I don't believe in locking the camper's hitch parts when I'm at camp. With my pop-up, someone would have had to disconnect water, electric, pop-it down, etc. If they wanted it that badly, well- I'm sure a lock wouldn't change their minds. Same with my fifth wheel- they'd have to break into the camper's door, bring in all of the slides, disconnect water, electric, and sewer, disconnect the awning poles, stow the awning, loosen the Steadyfast bars, run the stabilizers up, hitch up, raise the landing gear, close steps, and drive away. A king pin lock is the least of their worries. :)

However, in storage and when unattended- the camper's hitch gets locked. My truck bed also gets locked to protect my fifth wheel hitch.