Rumor: Disney Hollywood Studios Expansion

• Pixar Place will expand further, moving into the place where the Studio Backlot Tour used to exist, supposedly with three new attractions. (No word yet on what those will be.) Donnelly theorizes that construction could already be underway behind closed gates to allow a quicker opening, a practice Universal Studios has employed to great effect.

Put all the Star Wars junk you want in there, just give me CarsLand.

• Pixar Place will expand further, moving into the place where the Studio Backlot Tour used to exist, supposedly with three new attractions. (No word yet on what those will be.) Donnelly theorizes that construction could already be underway behind closed gates to allow a quicker opening, a practice Universal Studios has employed to great effect.

Put all the Star Wars junk you want in there, just give me CarsLand.

I don't think they're talking Carsland- they are talking three off the shelf carnival rides that they'll decorate with Pixar stuff like they have in Walt Disney Studios in Disneyland Paris.  And kiddie rides at that.

TCD

30 Jul

RUMOR: Walt Disney – One Man’s Dream and Voyage of the Little Mermaid to Close in September

With the D23 Expo just two weeks away, the announcement of the overhaul of Disney’s Hollywood Studios seems to be imminent. While we expect more concrete details at that point, rumor has it that Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream and Voyage of the Little Mermaid will close at the end of September 2015.

The exhibits and displays from One Man’s Dream should move to another location at Walt Disney World, meanwhile, guests looking to find the Little Mermaid can swim over to New Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom.

These closures are simply rumors at this point, but it is highly likely that both attractions will close at the end of Disney’s fiscal year on September 27th, 2015.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/07/rumor-walt-disney-one-mans-dream-and-voyage-of-the-little-mermaid-to-close-in-september/

David will be so disappointed if One Man's Dream doesn't open elsewhere.

I agree with David.  We've made a point of visiting there on our last couple of visits to DHS, and even staying to watch the film at the end.  It is a really good attraction, and it would be a shame for it to disappear.

And that brings up something I forgot about.  When we were last there, my girls asked me what was this space used for before it became the One Man's Dream display.  I can't remember.

TCD

I can't remember either.

I've looked around a bit on the internet to see, and was surprised to see that One Man's Dream has been open since 2001. I remember when it first opened, and didn't realize that it has been open so long!  Also, I didn't know that they ditched the part of the film which was narrated by Michael Eisner.  It's now narrated by Julie Andrews, who does a much better job.

TCD

Remember way back when the entrance to the Backstage Studio Tour was over in the now Animation Courtyard?

It was part of the Backstage Studio Tour, it was one of the sound stages before the tamp ride.

http://www.yesterland.com/backstage.html

Wow.  I don't remember that at all.  I didn't visit DHS until my oldest daughter was 3 or 4, so that would be around 1993 or 1994.  I missed the long Backstage Tour.  I never knew that they would take guests on the New York Street on the trams.

On the map attached to that article, I think #11 is where the Little Mermaid Theater is now, and the One Man's Dream exhibit would be in the space marked #10:

backstage.gif

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

From Kenny the Pirate...

Closure of Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream appears imminent

Many of the historical props that are inside the attraction’s pre-show area are already being removed.  Walt’s desk and office have already been removed and are being shipped to the Disney Family Museum.

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/08/13/rumor-round-up-2/

• 1 month later...

From MousePlanet...

A Final Farewell to One Man's Dream
http://www.mouseplanet.com/11154/A_Final_Farewell_to_One_Mans_Dream

That office has already been packed up before the official closing, with some sources saying it is headed for the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco rather than returning to Anaheim.