1st visit with 3 kids...which loop?

My kids are 9, 8, 6. August Reservations for premium site for our 33' TT with large tow vehicle (crew cab long bed F-250). Not planning on renting golf cart (too expensive!). Looking for close proximity to laundry and recreation area for kids. We will have 6 days there with a 4 day park pass, so planning on spending 2 days enjoying amenities of the fort. 6-year-old doesn't know how to ride a bike yet so, would have to be accessible by walking. Hubby is planning on fishing in the canals as well. Which loops/sites should I consider requesting? I've researched and watched videos and studied the maps but it's a bit overwhelming and hard to tell what I'm looking at since we've never been to WDW before.

Thanks!

Adina

First...  :thtray:  Welcome!!

Second... because you won't be using bikes, you might want to request the 400 or 700 loop.  The Fort is large, but these two loops are sort-of in the middle of the pool/fishing, chip-n-dale's bonfire and the marina (with a playground and the boat to the MK).  

You're making a great choice with 2 Fort days...there really is so much to do there!  

Enjoy and have a MAGICAL time!! :)

Welcome. 

Can't help much with the loop choices since we usually try for the 1500 partial hookup loop.

Fishing is good at the Fort.  Best set up is small hooks with the barbs flattened and using fried chicken skin or small pieces of hot dog as bait.  Worms work also.  Haven't seen too many people catching anything in the canals with artificial baits/lures.

Depending on their height, the 6 year old may be able to go on the pony ride down near Pioneer Hall.

Check out the evening wagon rides, one of the best values at the Fort.

Bring your own sticks and fixings for s'mores at the evening campfire/movie.

Check out the nightly Electrical Water Pageant down at the beach around 9:30 or so. 

Plan on a lot of drinks, August will be hot/humid, then double what you originally planned on.

The parks allow you to bring in drinks (no glass) and food.  With 3 young ones you will need a lot I'm sure.

I don't believe the 700 loop has a comfort station. You would have to cross the street and use the CS between the 400 and 500 loops. The 600 (pet loop), 1300 and 1400 loops are near the Meadows Trading Post which is where the pool, Chip-n-Dales campfire and other activities are. The 900 and 1000 loops are across the street from the Meadows. All of these loops are near the middle of the campground and it isn't a bad walk to Pioneer Hall/boats but they also have regular shuttle bus service close by if you rather not walk.

I can't say how well any of these loops will fit your trailer and TV as our trailer is considerably smaller. One thing that will help is to tell the Fort CM's how big you are on your reservation and when you FAX your camp loop/site request so they can do their best on getting you into a properly sized site.

One last thing. I suggest you take plenty of your own bottled water or buy it locally. While I'm sure folks get used to it the water is pretty bad from my perspective and has a strong sulfur taste.

Welcome, Adina-

As you can already see, everyone has an opinion about which loop is best.  The good news is that all the loops have positives, and the negatives tend to only be negative for certain types of campers.  As Keith said, the 700 loop has no Comfort Station, so that isn't going to be a good loop to meet your criteria of wanting to be close to a laundry room.    It also isn't close to a canal where your husband could fish.  Neither is the 400 loop.

Since you say you'll be there in August, you want to be close to the pool.  Since you have kids, you probably also want to be close to a playground. 

I think either the 1300 or 1400 loop would be the best choices for what you're looking for.  There are sites that back up to canals on both of those loops, and they're both close to the pool, where there are daily organized activities that your kids might enjoy.  The 1300 loop has a really nice playground at the entrance.  The 1400 loop has a less nice playground at its entrance, but it's also much closer to the campfire area, which you also will probably want to visit.

I'd ask for 1300 loop first, and 1400 loop as the second choice.

You didn't mention whether or not you were bringing a dog.  If so, the 1300 and 1400 loops are not pet loops.  That doesn't mean you won't see dogs on those loops, but you'll have less than you would on a pet loop like the 400 or 700 loops.

TCD

Welcome, Adina-

As you can already see, everyone has an opinion about which loop is best.  The good news is that all the loops have positives, and the negatives tend to only be negative for certain types of campers.  As Keith said, the 700 loop has no Comfort Station, so that isn't going to be a good loop to meet your criteria of wanting to be close to a laundry room.    It also isn't close to a canal where your husband could fish.  Neither is the 400 loop.

Since you say you'll be there in August, you want to be close to the pool.  Since you have kids, you probably also want to be close to a playground. 

I think either the 1300 or 1400 loop would be the best choices for what you're looking for.  There are sites that back up to canals on both of those loops, and they're both close to the pool, where there are daily organized activities that your kids might enjoy.  The 1300 loop has a really nice playground at the entrance.  The 1400 loop has a less nice playground at its entrance, but it's also much closer to the campfire area, which you also will probably want to visit.

I'd ask for 1300 loop first, and 1400 loop as the second choice.

You didn't mention whether or not you were bringing a dog.  If so, the 1300 and 1400 loops are not pet loops.  That doesn't mean you won't see dogs on those loops, but you'll have less than you would on a pet loop like the 400 or 700 loops.

TCD

We've stayed in the 1400 loop and loved it... but, it is a longer walk from the marina, which can be tough at the end of the day/night with little ones in tow.  Good point about the 700 loop not having a CS; we've never stayed there so I did not know this.  

We've stayed in the 1400 loop and loved it... but, it is a longer walk from the marina, which can be tough at the end of the day/night with little ones in tow.  Good point about the 700 loop not having a CS; we've never stayed there so I did not know this.  

Why did you walk all the way from the marina?  The 1400 loop is served by the Yellow bus line, and that one travels the quickest through the Fort.  Late at night, there is almost always a bus waiting at the Settlement Bus Stop.

You can't be close to everything.  The 1400 is a short bus ride to the Settlement or the Outpost, but the big advantage is that is one of the closest loops to the Meadow Pool and is the closest loop to the campfire area.  Being in the 1400 loop would save a family with young children from a long walk (or bus ride) back to their site after visiting the campfire and/or pool.

TCD

As a mom, I would always want to be closest to the Meadows area.  That is where you will find the nicer pool, the Campfire Sing-along with Chip and Dale, and the Movie under the Stars.  Also, check the activity schedule for something in the sing-along area before the campfire starts.  Chip and Dale usually come out to play along with that activity.  All the times i have been there, these activities were poorly attended, meaning more interaction with the characters and cast members.

We always are very happy with the bus service to the Marina or the Outpost.

Why did you walk all the way from the marina?  The 1400 loop is served by the Yellow bus line, and that one travels the quickest through the Fort.  Late at night, there is almost always a bus waiting at the Settlement Bus Stop.

You can't be close to everything.  The 1400 is a short bus ride to the Settlement or the Outpost, but the big advantage is that is one of the closest loops to the Meadow Pool and is the closest loop to the campfire area.  Being in the 1400 loop would save a family with young children from a long walk (or bus ride) back to their site after visiting the campfire and/or pool.

TCD

Hmmm... you know, I think walked b/c it seemed faster to walk to the loop, then to walk up to the bus station and then wait for the bus. 

Hmmm... you know, I think walked b/c it seemed faster to walk to the loop, then to walk up to the bus station and then wait for the bus. 

I know some folks want to walk if they have a baby sleeping in a stroller and I thought maybe that was why you walked.  At night time, there's no way walking is faster than taking the bus.  Like I said, most of the time in the late night,  buses tend to be waiting at the Settlement bus stop for guests to show up.

TCD

I know some folks want to walk if they have a baby sleeping in a stroller and I thought maybe that was why you walked.  At night time, there's no way walking is faster than taking the bus.  Like I said, most of the time in the late night,  buses tend to be waiting at the Settlement bus stop for guests to show up.

TCD

Glad you had a disclaimer listed there!

Last time we were there we waited about 20 minutes for a yellow bus to take us to the 1500 loop.  4 busses arrived and 3 of them had changed their sign from yellow to orange as they arrived.  We had one orange leave with about 8 people on it and another pulled up behind it as it was leaving, sat and left with 1 person.  Finally had enough when a yellow was arriving and changed to WL!  Went and asked the driver what was going on.  He said a yellow was on the way, but knew we were aggravated, so he changed his sign and took us to 1500.

... At night time, there's no way walking is faster than taking the bus.  Like I said, most of the time in the late night,  buses tend to be waiting at the Settlement bus stop for guests to show up.

TCD

Except the one late night Rene and I didn't want to walk back to our site. The Yellow and Purple lines had buses stacked up. After waiting for 20 minutes for an Orange line I asked one of the drivers if he knew when one would be along. He said they were only running one bus on that line and the driver was on a break. Took about 30 minutes before we saw the bus.

Glad you had a disclaimer listed there!

Last time we were there we waited about 20 minutes for a yellow bus to take us to the 1500 loop.  4 busses arrived and 3 of them had changed their sign from yellow to orange as they arrived.  We had one orange leave with about 8 people on it and another pulled up behind it as it was leaving, sat and left with 1 person.  Finally had enough when a yellow was arriving and changed to WL!  Went and asked the driver what was going on.  He said a yellow was on the way, but knew we were aggravated, so he changed his sign and took us to 1500.

Except the one late night Rene and I didn't want to walk back to our site. The Yellow and Purple lines had buses stacked up. After waiting for 20 minutes for an Orange line I asked one of the drivers if he knew when one would be along. He said they were only running one bus on that line and the driver was on a break. Took about 30 minutes before we saw the bus.

LOL, so one night it was no Yellow bus, and another there were too many?  Sounds about right.

The time frame I'm talking about is late -like after the MK has closed.  That's when there are typically buses waiting to take guests back to their loops.  That late at night, they drop the Yellow/Orange/Purple routes, and will take guests wherever they need to go.

We always request the 700 loop and really enjoy it.  But one drawback no one else has mentioned is that it doesn't have a bus stop.  It's a hike to the 600-800 stop.

If you stayed at the end of the 700 loop instead of the beginning, then the Settlement Bus Stop would be pretty close.  But you're right- it's a good walk to any bus stop from the 700 loop.

TCD

Thanks for all of your input!

We do not have any pets so it looks like being near the Meadows area on the 1300 and 1400 loops would be best.

How easy is it to access the Meadows area from 1300 loop since the canal separates the 1300 loop from the Meadows area? Are the thin lines on the map walkways? Is there public canal access for fishing or should we request a site on the canal?

Adina

We do not have any pets so it looks like being near the Meadows area on the 1300 and 1400 loops would be best.

How easy is it to access the Meadows area from 1300 loop since the canal separates the 1300 loop from the Meadows area? Are the thin lines on the map walkways? Is there public canal access for fishing or should we request a site on the canal?

Adina

The trading post itself is on the 1300 side of the canal. You just walk over to it and cross a bridge on the backside that takes you to the pool and campfire side of the canal.

Just to add. We like the 1300 loop and try to get a site that backs up to the canal (preferred) or the Meadows Trading Post area. In the morning you can see all types of wading birds feeding along the banks which we like.

Adina

You can fish anywhere, as long as you aren't in peoples sites.

There is a big open area along the canal behind the 1500 thru 1800 loops.  Also behind 300. The canal runs along the edge of the meadow but you may be bothered by canoes and kayaks.

There is a spillway/dam section along the lakefront behind the settlement store.

Look at the maps, and you will find plenty of places to go.

TCD

You know, when we stayed in the 1400 loop, Brandon was only a year old... so he might have been sleeping (blessed with so many visits...they all kind-of blend together :rolleyes:) however, I will also say that we always seem to have rotten luck with Disney's buses. They don't like us  :(

Adina

The thin lines on the FW map are walkways, but the map is not completely accurate.

Google maps shows the walkway adjacent to the 1300 loop- that one they show running right in to the middle of the loop isn't right.  I marked your path to the pool with my purple crayon:

google%20maps%201300_zpssemkb1ea.jpg

Here's an aerial view of the same area- you can't see the walkways because they're under the trees- but there's a nice paved sidewalk you can take all the way to the Trading Post, then walk across the bridge behind it.  I also marked all the open areas along the canal where your husband could drop a line.  Or, if he wants, the "Fishin' Hole" is right behind the Meadow Trading Post, which is very close to the 1300 loop.  The purple circle marks Bob's Dock, which your husband can use, as long as Bob isn't there feeding the fish:

aerial%20view%201300_zps3pqoqdwx.jpg

TCD

The time frame I'm talking about is late -like after the MK has closed.  That's when there are typically buses waiting to take guests back to their loops.  That late at night, they drop the Yellow/Orange/Purple routes, and will take guests wherever they need to go.

I've hit them at this time and they were just waiting for people to walk up and asking them where they needed to go.  A few times we were the only ones on the bus and they took us directly to our loop.