Disney Food Blog has posted a review of the breakfast offerings at Captain Cook’s, the quick service dining location at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, specifically the fan favorite... Tonga Toast!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/08/03/review-tonga-toast-at-captain-cooks-in-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/

Excerpt...

... it’s time to dig in to our Tonga Toast! The Tonga Toast recipe is the same at Captain Cook’s as it is at Kona Cafe: super giant banana-stuffed sourdough bread is battered and deep-fried, then dusted with cinnamon sugar.

TongaToast_CaptainCooks_15-025-700x475.j
Tonga Toast with Bacon

At Captain Cook’s, it comes with your choice of a side of bacon or sausage. So! Difference #1: at Kona Cafe, ham is an additional option for your choice of sides (it also comes with a pineapple wedge for extra garnish).

Captain’s Tonga Toast is not served with any type of sauce, syrup or butter (though you can get maple syrup from the condiments bar if you so choose). Which leads us to Difference #2: at Kona Cafe, Tonga Toast is served with Strawberry Compote, which you can’t get at Captain Cook’s.

We’ve gone over two differences so far, but let’s focus on an important similarity: the portion of the Tonga Toast itself at either location is MAMMOTH. The sourdough bread is sliced super-thick, and the egg-batter (similar to any French Toast style recipe) lends a definite richness to the dish.

TongaToast_CaptainCooks_15-026-700x467.j
Captain Cook’s Tonga Toast

The outside of the toast is golden brown and lightly crispy, thanks to the cinnamon sugar (slightly caramelized from the heat), while remaining soft on the inside. And the bananas give you that serving of fruit you were looking for. icon_wink.gif

CaptainCooks_15-029-700x495.jpg
Captain Cook’s Tonga Toast Cross Section

It’s really a well-combined mix of flavors and textures. This stuff just doesn’t disappoint.

CaptainCooks_15-032-700x595.jpg
Captain Cook’s Tonga Toast Bite

And one more truth about Tonga Toast in either location: it’s dense and super filling. If you get it at Captain Cook’s and split a serving with your traveling companion, you’re looking at breakfast for about $2.60 per person. Which brings us to Difference #3: Tonga Toast will run you $5.19 at Captain Cook’s, while the Table Service experience of Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe is $12.99.

I've never had it at WDW, but the DFB published the Disney recipe for Tonga Toast a while back, and we made it at home. It was easy, SUPER delicious, very filling, and made quite a bit. We're thinking of making it again for a Sunday breakfast this month. Wow, those pics actually make me want to have it for lunch today!

I've never had it at WDW, but the DFB published the Disney recipe for Tonga Toast a while back, and we made it at home. It was easy, SUPER delicious, very filling, and made quite a bit. We're thinking of making it again for a Sunday breakfast this month. Wow, those pics actually make me want to have it for lunch today!

I've got that recipe kicking around. I really need to try making it SOON!