Three trips in one year too much?

Crazy question here but i would like to hear from folks who make multiple long trips to Disney more than twice a year. The trip from our house to the Fort is around 12 hours.

The way this started is the wife and I would like to experience for the kids to experience Christmas at the Fort one year. We already have ressies for Spring Break 2016 and next week we could book our 2016 Christmas dates.  This brought us to the fact that annual passes would make sense for us to purchase.  Which in turn got me thinking about Fall Break 2016...see where this is going?  Too much?

We've also done long weekends being 12 hours away (without the camper though). Leave mid afternoon on a Thursday, book it down past Atlanta, stop for the night, get on down to Orlando pretty early on Friday. Then have Friday, Sat, and until about noon on Sunday. Then run straight back home on Sunday.

Hubs is retired, so can sleep in on Monday, and I can sleep in the car, so ready for work on Monday :)

That's a much longer drive than from TN.  Impressive

Just curious, how far?

Funny you would mention Tennessee as just last week I drove from Nashville to Toronto.

The drive from Toronto to Disney is in the 21-24 hr range, depending on route, weather and who's driving. My husband LOVES to drive and is quite comfortable doing 14 hours straight by himself. I think he's nuts!

I'm leaving next Friday for a week at Disney but will be flying this time.

We've also done long weekends being 12 hours away (without the camper though). Leave mid afternoon on a Thursday, book it down past Atlanta, stop for the night, get on down to Orlando pretty early on Friday. Then have Friday, Sat, and until about noon on Sunday. Then run straight back home on Sunday.

Hubs is retired, so can sleep in on Monday, and I can sleep in the car, so ready for work on Monday :)

That's next level stuff right there...I like it

Funny you would mention Tennessee as just last week I drove from Nashville to Toronto.

The drive from Toronto to Disney is in the 21-24 hr range, depending on route, weather and who's driving. My husband LOVES to drive and is quite comfortable doing 14 hours straight by himself. I think he's nuts!

I'm leaving next Friday for a week at Disney but will be flying this time.

Awesome that you will be there next week and 14 hours driving is impressive.  I drive the full 12 on the way back but it takes me a day to recover.

Awesome that you will be there next week and 14 hours driving is impressive.  I drive the full 12 on the way back but it takes me a day to recover.

I know what you mean about the day to recover. I don't know how he does it, especially since he's 55ish...

I was just drove through Maryville recently actually. I was away for two weeks for work/leisure - drove Toronto to Cincinnati and stayed there for a few days, then Cincinnati to Robbinsville and there for the weekend, then Robbinsville to Nashville and there for a week, then back to Toronto. I left Nashville at 3:00 pm CT and drove as far as Columbus at 11 pm ET and then drove the rest of the way home on Saturday. (I took a funny way home in order to avoid Michigan - sorry Michiganers!)

Anyway, with an annual pass, going more than one time a year doesn't take much convincing. :) My AP expires this October and I haven't decided yet whether or not to renew, even though we'll be in the area over Christmas.

We are a little over an hour away.

We've been once this year and have 2 more rezzies before the end of the year.

We would go more, but between the cost and hard times trying to get just 3 days it's a pain in the ...

Plus we usually take my granddaughter who will be in 5th grade in a couple of weeks, so that makes it harder to leave for the Fort early on a Friday.

We've been lucky that the school is lenient about checking her out early, but will have to see how this teacher feels about it.

Even with the efficiency factor (from accountant to accountant)?

I'm with you on that.  

We did AP's once...back in 2009-10.  And we did 3 trips that year, for the same reasons you laid out.  For our family, that was when we began to get "Disneyed out", to the point that by this past year we had reached a point where we have no plans to go back.  For us it was too much.  There are so many other places we want to see.  But I recognize that I'm in the minority around here in that regard.  

I'm with you on that.  

We did AP's once...back in 2009-10.  And we did 3 trips that year, for the same reasons you laid out.  For our family, that was when we began to get "Disneyed out", to the point that by this past year we had reached a point where we have no plans to go back.  For us it was too much.  There are so many other places we want to see.  But I recognize that I'm in the minority around here in that regard.  

So far The Fort is the only place my wife wants to go camping.

She thinks the grandkids would be bored if we went to a state/county campground.

I'm with you on that.  

I agree completely, this is why we spread our trips out to every two-three years. we want each trip to feel sort of like the first time.

We also like to travel more to different places and want to head West in a couple years. When I was growing up we went to Colorado every summer from NJ for three to four weeks. I want to share that with the girls as well.

Best Regards,

Norm

I'm with you on that.  

You nailed it DIT...this is my fear exactly.  Thank you for talking me down...I think

Spring break and Christmas at Disney with a low key fall break somewhere in beautiful east tennessee may be the ticket next year.

I agree completely, this is why we spread our trips out to every two-three years. we want each trip to feel sort of like the first time.

We also like to travel more to different places and want to head West in a couple years. When I was growing up we went to Colorado every summer from NJ for three to four weeks. I want to share that with the girls as well.

Best Regards,

Norm

Absolutely...variety is the spice

And we're about the same distance to the Fort...hmmmm

Now that I'm retired and David can get out of work any time he wants, we won't go to the Fort for less than two weeks.  And, considering the $600 or so cost in fuel to get there, it only makes sense to stay longer instead of making more trips. So this fall we have 4 weeks reserved.  Then I hope to attend WWW 2016, and we hope to go back to the fort in the fall of 2016 for four more weeks.

Now that I'm retired and David can get out of work any time he wants, we won't go to the Fort for less than two weeks.  And, considering the $600 or so cost in fuel to get there, it only makes sense to stay longer instead of making more trips. So this fall we have 4 weeks reserved.  Then I hope to attend WWW 2016, and we hope to go back to the fort in the fall of 2016 for four more weeks.

Congrats on living the absolute dream :-)

I read an article earlier this year on the 4 times that you must experience Disney;

1) Kid

2) Teen

3) As a Parent

4) As a grandparent

I love going as a parent and look forward to going with a larger gradybunch as a grandparent.  Completing the circle.

Good stuff

Congrats on living the absolute dream :-)

I read an article earlier this year on the 4 times that you must experience Disney;

1) Kid

2) Teen

3) As a Parent

4) As a grandparent

I love going as a parent and look forward to going with a larger gradybunch as a grandparent.  Completing the circle.

Good stuff

Nope, it's not the absolute dream.  That would be wintering at the Fort!

We never went to WDW until we were parents b/c WDW didn't open until after we had children.  

Going as a parent is great ... going with our grandchildren is great ... but the best part?  Going to WDW with just the two of us!